Windows 11 available on October 5

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by MIG-31, Aug 31, 2021.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

An update for Windows 11 is now available. It makes the performance issues on Ryzen CPUs even worse. (Source TPU)

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

there is only one point in which i know the apps will reinstall and that's if usually you attempt to uninstall them prior to ever firing up microsofts store and/or if you remove them before having a connection established to the internet.

For example if i were to perform a clean install, and a hot pull out for internet in order to bypass microsoft account sign in so that a local account can be created instead, get to the desktop, perform multiple reboots and uninstall the apps, THEN connect to the internet, it'll re-initialize the apps some time after connecting. The other situation is if you upgrade or clean install windows (10 or 11), almost, shortly after getting into the desktop and remove the apps soon after without firing up the microsoft store, the next time the store is updated or is started with a connection, it'll do it then.

So it's usually wise to get into windows, do what you need to get things setup, then fire up the microsoft store, run it's updates through as well, then remove the apps. IMO don't sign into a microsoft account either on the store.

Back when windows 10 launched, i was a bit perplexed by something like this happening before i understood what essentially was going on.

3. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

Now that is something I did when I set up 11, and that is the first time in years (I generally use a local account), I wanted to open some app I wasn't familiar with and it insisted I sign in so I did using my Live account so I did to give it a go

Afterwards forgot to sign back out and then yesterday there was the update and looking now I am still on the MS one, Also had a little browse of the new store in-between ...

time to go back to a local account

Still annoying of them to offer the option and then override their own options when it updates

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

never... sign in.... and if YOU DO.. for example office 365 users or those that need to verify their 2016/2019/2021 office package, make sure to only sign into "microsoft apps only" independently.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  5. Mr Cairo

Black monitor from cold boot again this morning twice in a row ...odd thing is I press power and it shows that's its connected to HDMI then shows the TUF logo for the mobo but then fails to display the screen on monitor 1, its just black and the mouse is unavailable, but outputs fine to monitor 2

Frikking odd

6. IvanV

I had a similar situation recently, both monitors would show the post screen, but one of them would be dead in Windows. Googling suggested a driver issue. I wasn't convinced but gave it a go and it came back. It has worked fine ever since (it's been around one month). Mine failed to show image in Windows every time while it had the issue, though.

EDIT: "I gave it a go" means "reinstalled the GPU drivers", or, in my case, installed the latest ones.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    Mr Cairo likes this.
  7. Mr Cairo

Hmm that could be it if It persists I will roll back a set or just manage till next update .

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  8. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

My Lenovo Thinkpad fails for the update solely due to the CPU. I'm reading that, for all practical purposes, MS has decided that any PC older than 4 years old is too old to run Windows 11. Everything else on the Lenovo passes...after I enabled Intel's TPM over Lenovo's Discrete TPM.

Other than age, the Thinkpad should run W-11 just fine.

Intel Core i5-5300U @2.30ghz.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  9. Mr Cairo

So Monitor 1 was blank again this morning even after factory install of latest drivers so still unsure what issue is, This time howver instead of just rebooting I opened the AMD driver control panel (opens on display 2) and started messing in there

disabled and then re enabled Virtual Super Resolution and monitor 1 blinked into life with no reboot.

EDIT> If it happens tomorrow I will try the WIN+SHIFT+CTRL+B and see if a restart of the GFX Driver will fix it,

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    IvanV likes this.
  10. IvanV

If you wish to update the laptop, here is Microsoft's official guide on how to bypass the CPU and TPM gen requirements:
    [​IMG]
    Once set, users can run the Media Creation Tool to create an ISO. It is then possible to mount the ISO with a right-click on the same PC and run setup from there to upgrade while keeping installed applications and documents.

Source support.microsoft.com

Personally, I'm not sure what the benefits are. For now, I'm keeping my work laptop on Windows 10 and will probably update only if that becomes an issue during its lifetime.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  11. Dyre Straits

I may give this a go on the weekend. Thanks!

12. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Outside of pausing or turning off Windows Update, does anyone know a way to block Windows 11 auto install? My new AMD rig meets the spec, but given the issues (and apparently continuing issue) with AMD processors I'm trying to hold off installing it (rolled back, in fact). I tried the Group Policy and Registry block (as per THIS link), but it still downloads, and prepares to install:

Capture.JPG

13. EvelinS36

EvelinS36 New Member

If you're looking at the differences between Windows 11 and Windows 10, the biggest ones are the Start Menu and the Taskbar. But I still prefer the single Action Center panel for notifications and quick settings. I also want to get advice from Computools on how some programs for my business work in Windows 11. In general, despite its drastically new look, Windows 11 remains nearly functionally identical to Windows 10, with some new features and conveniences added in.

14. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I installed Windows 11 on Friday so have had a few days to look around it.

I am enjoying it so far. The UI is finally starting to look consistent and polished. There are still the occasional elements that are from age old versions of Windows such as Device Manager but they don't look that out of place to me. The rounded corners render quite well - especially on my LG 4K monitor and quite well on my LG 1440p ultrawide. On the 4K I have moved from 150% scaling to 125%, the UI overall seems to be scaled larger for higher definition displays.

This is the first time that I can run the monitors in HDR 24/7 - before the SDR elements always looked completely washed out. On my 4K the only real issue with HDR is that the white point isn't quite right, so white web pages look a little off. On my ultrawide the HDR mode works perfectly - SDR videos and web pages look right plus vivid colours really pop off the screen.

I also run Auto-HDR in Star Citizen and it is quite impressive. My 4K monitor has a much better peak brightness than my ultrawide and when I walked out onto a pad at a space station with Auto-HDR enabled, looking at the sun actually made me squint. This even on my HDR 'compatible' monitos which don't offer a true HDR experience. I can imagine Star Citizen would look awesome on a truly HDR capable display.

Only things I am not keen on are the little promos for MS Office 365 that are baked into the settings panel. And the way the OS comes with 'apps' supposeddly pre-installed like Adobe Lightroom but that when you try and launch them you are required to sign in to an account.

Dyre Straits and Mr Cairo like this.
  15. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

^^
    I have been noticing this with Windows 10 fresh installs for a while now. It reminds me of vendor setups, where guys like Dell, HP, Acer where you boot up their computers, and you see Office installed... or rather, not really. The annoying thing is that if you install Office 365, I've noticed Windows won't populate desktop/start menu icons for the software. Something about the pre-installed links break the installer of the actual software.

So, I found a way keep Windows 11 from installing: break the requirements. Literally turn off something that meets the requirements for Windows 11, such as turning off TPM in the bios. Fail the requirements, Windows 11 won't install. Simple.

Edit: this is a better idea, btw, then turning off Windows Update completely as you still get updates with disabling TPM.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Mr Cairo likes this.
  16. Dyre Straits

A little niggle about Windows 11 for me: Under previous Windows versions, the virus and security "app" would occasionally throw up a notice about PUAs. When checking those, I could actually see where that flagged app was located and then do what I wanted to do with it. In most cases, I would simply delete and/or uninstall depending on its severity.

So far, though, in Windows 11 I cannot see any link to where that PUA is located. I can only see a date that it was flagged...or when it was installed.

I have read that, beginning earlier this year, even in W-10, that MS had opted to automatically handle these as THEY discern how to do so.

FWIW, the ones on my system that are flagged are LOW. It would be nice if I could actually see what they are and where they are.

17. Mr Cairo

So over the weekend had 2 more of those black screens on monitor 1 on boot and going into the amd CCC on monitor 2 and turning Virtual Resolution for monitor 1 off and back on seems to cure it, had the idea to leave it disabled and so far not 1 issue ... not 100^ sure that is the issue as the problem is very intermittent but so far seems ok.