Windows 11

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by IvanV, Jul 31, 2021.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

It's a thing...

W11Desk.jpg

I just installed it in a VM and I have to go to bed so nothing major to report so far, but it exists, it installs, it runs, apparently. :)

Calliers likes this.
  2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Nice one, keep us informed. :)

3. IvanV

Settings menus have been reorganized (again). Things don't look to be completely in place, though. Calling Volume Mixer from the Task bar summons the System screen, where you can choose Sound and then and there you can get the Volume Mixer. The new UI design is aesthetically a lot different from the one in Windows 10.

I don't know if it's a great idea to change the visual identity every one or two versions, but I like the new look better than the old one. It looks like an evolution of the Vista / Windows 7 design, but the UI and Settings functionality is, understandably, closer to that of Windows 10. The new system icons look like something out of an old Linux distro, simplistic, kind of retro and, at least to me, neither particularly pretty nor do they mesh that well with the rest of the aesthetic, like something that was cobbled up during a spare afternoon.

upload_2021-7-31_18-21-9.png

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Mr Cairo likes this.
  4. Calliers

GigaWatt, QB71 and IvanV like this.
  5. ep30rpg

ep30rpg Member

6. Calliers

Mr Cairo likes this.
  7. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

Absolute 100% I will take this within first week

Tipstaff and Calliers like this.
  8. Calliers

I'll probably wait a bit.

Trusteft likes this.
  9. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Clever man.

Unless you need to upgrade (say for your job), I really don't see the point in upgrading within the first few months. Let others deal with the beta testing.

Calliers likes this.
  10. Calliers

Software always comes out clunky and not working these days.

11. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

I love it when its like that TBH when things dont work and you have to start the google (or variation) process to fix it, pretty sure thats how I ended up here 20 or so years ago

12. Calliers

I prefer my roses de-thorned. I remember I came here donkey years ago looking to BIOS flash my 9500 non pro to a pro.

Mr Cairo and Trusteft like this.
  13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i had windows vista nearly a year and a half before it's launch.... in fact i used it as a daily driver. honestly the only release candidate and official launch windows recently that was garbage was windows 7... prior to that windows xp.

Mr Cairo and Calliers like this.
  14. IvanV

I'll probably add it as the second boot option for starters, then see from there. It does look like it will be released in a fairly mature state, at least from the perspective of an older machine that cannot use most of the non-cosmetic new features. For such a machine, it will mostly be an updated Windows 10, with the majority of changes being limited to the UI.

Mr Cairo and Calliers like this.
  15. Calliers

One of the reasons I might switch to it at an earlier time would be if the quality of life changes to gaming are profound enough.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  16. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

I will wait till company I work for does the switch, might be a while.
    I am working from home so I do not want to take chances and screw up the existing setup .

Calliers likes this.
  17. IvanV

I hear you. Since I work for a consultancy firm, we have multiple clients and many of them require specific setups, including slightly different versions of same software. In the end, we started using VMs, one for each client, or group of them that aren't clashing with each other. Once they are set up, nothing is updated unless necessary.

Mr Cairo and arb65912 like this.
  18. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

Mine is easier as it is just affects me but involves me using Company server all day long back and forth transferring files.
    I am the only one from engineering department using my own hardware for work lol,lol. so it better be good . ;-)

Actually I will share something.
    I was playing with cryptocurrency ideas very carefully and I have read that antivirus software is very much recommended so I bought BitDefender PLus or so.
    Installed, boom, can not work with Company server.
    Contacted IT, he said you do not need really the extra protection as long as you do not spend your days on funny pages and know what you download.
    He said that Company server is protected and what I have is very safe, recommended to uninstall payware one and all went back to working.
    Just a story, comment if you want. :)

Calliers and Mr Cairo like this.
  19. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

I would possibly like to go to Win 11 as soon as i can...

But i have a few concerns if the compatibility checker is either miss reading something.. Or i am. My current PC is only a little under a year old and should be ok.

1.jpg

Despite my current Motherboard has had 2 Bios updates within a couple of months that brings support for Windows 11...

I still get this.

2.jpg

My current specs are:

3.jpg

As far as i can see i should be ok... Am i missing something that is holding me back ?

20. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

You have to enable pure UEFI mode (Must have Legacy CSM disabled and secure boot enabled)
    You also have to enable fTPM in the bios i believe in the cpu section of the bios.
    You also MUST have a UEFI setup windows install, if you installed with CSM enabled... the only fix the right way is to wipe and reinstall windows AFTER having fully disabled legacy mode. The alternative is to risk converting existing UEFI install (which requires the drive to be converted from legacy default MBR partition tables to GPT partitions which converts the partitions themselves before rebuilding). The conversion process can be done but imo, if things bugger up, you'll end up having to reinstall anyways properly, and since the conversion process ends up lacking some UEFI installed functions because it's a conversion of legacy, imo it's not really all that practical.

If you aren't sure about the TPM thing, the easiest way to check is to right click windows 10's start, hit the powershell admin, then type in "get-tpm" and if you get a bunch of FALSE listing back, then that's your primary problem.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    Mr Cairo likes this.