Windows 11

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by IvanV, Jul 31, 2021.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Thanks Judas, I did go through the bios options and i did have a Error that my windows restore drive does not recognize my current win10 drive.

I had to disconnect all my back up drives to re-install windows (Can not say why) but it has been a long time for a fresh install of windows so no big deal.

The App now says my PC is ready for Win11.

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm late to the party, but in case anyone has a similar problem of not knowing why their machine is being detected as incompatible (and the official tool doesn't give any explanation), try this: https://www.whynotwin11.com

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

My WhyNot Results...

Win-11-Compatibility.jpg

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'm so puzzled why so many people still run legacy modes.

5. IvanV

It was probably the default of the motherboard for some "dumb" compatibility reason. I think that it should be fixable without a reinstall.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  6. Dyre Straits

Yes, it is fixable.

7. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

Because... I don't like my firmware knowing what OS I'm running :rolleyes:.

Other things also come to mind... like not needing 3 different partitions for a single OS.

8. Judas

legacy created 4 usually...

no wonder people have troubles with windows 8.x onward... they insist on making it run in hamstrung and with half a lung buggered.

Also even in legacy mode, the firmware knows what os you're runnning..

Basically all 3 claims are nonsense.

9. Dyre Straits

So, after conversion, I only now have the TPM issue.

Win-11-Compatibility-Fixed.jpg

Mr Cairo and IvanV like this.
  10. Judas

as mentioned... go into the bios, and enabled fTPM or may be called "amd fTPM"

it'll be in the processor section of the bios. Once that's turned on... problem solved. and while your at it, you may as well now enabled SAM

Mr Cairo and IvanV like this.
  11. Dyre Straits

12. Dyre Straits

At present...and likely at release...my Lenovo laptop's CPU is not supported. It's an Intel i5 -5300U @ 2.30 GHz. Everything else is good to go.

13. IvanV

It's all really unclear now. MS has stated that they will actually not block installation to unsupported hardware (I think that only clean install will be possible though). There caveat is that support for such hardware may be dropped at some point (they may stop receiving major updates and eventually the minor ones too as a particular build gets key behind). I'm not sure if this later thing wasn't the case with some machines and Windows 10 as well, though.

14. Judas

Not dropped, simply they won't provide support or drivers or patches to make it work. Basically it's no different than in the past installing windows 10 on things that predate essentially 2010 and for windows 7 on machines that were prior to 2007.

IvanV likes this.
  15. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Well, I am sure there are a lot of people like me that were running a Frankenstein install of their OS. I had a very ancient 990FX motherboard with windows 8.1... did the free upgrade to Windows 10... then replaced the board years later...

So legacy mode, wrong partition structure, missing restore features, etc., etc.... the list of "compatibility" issues was long and hard to fix for me.

What was supposed to be a simple convert and toggle a couple of BIOS settings, turned into a 12+ hour marathon trying to figure out what to do to get it all green.

What I ended up doing... I unplugged all my drives except the 980 Pro, backed up my install partition... wiped the drive, re-installed Windows 10 with all the UEFI/security settings properly enabled in the BIOS. Then restored the partition. The only way it worked... ugh

Screenshot_1.jpg

Anyway... it was a chore.

I will not be running out first thing and manually doing Windows 11... but I will be ready for when it is offered via update

QB

Dyre Straits and IvanV like this.
  16. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

That depends on the OS and if you partition manually or let the OS do the partitioning. Almost any OS will let you install on only one active MBR partition in legacy/CSM... but yes, you have to partition the medium manually.

In true legacy mode (a regular MBR BIOS), it shouldn't. If that is true, then the Compaq Evo P4 rig I'm running my Volumio box on, should know that I'm running Debian 8 on it and shouldn't let me run it. Why? Well, because in the BIOS, there's this interesting boot setting "boot from drive C:", and then the drive manufacturer and model is listed... in fact, when POST ends, it says "booting from drive C:\ ..."... and then syslinux loads :D :D :D... which IMO is hilarious :D :D :D.

See what I'm getting at ;). Compaq never considered that someone might run anything other than Windows on the rig :D... not only that, but it interprets MBR booting as booting from a partition, which is what UEFI does. Concidence... I don't think so :D :D :D.

Jokes aside, no, the BIOS has no idea what OS I'm running on that rig ;)... and no, Compaq did NOT hint into UEFI with this BIOS setting... but, what they did let us (well, me at least) know is that... yes, hardware manufacturing companies would like to know what OS I'm running on my rig(s). Not only that, but they would like to be in control of what OS I'm running... and preferably, it should be a legit copy of Windows. See... this is definitely NOT what I signed up for when I started using the IBM PC compatible platform.

My 2 cents ;).

:D :D :D... it's like talking with my ex :D :D :D...

Just disproved at least 2 of your "facts"... wouldn't even bother answering the second, since I have no idea what people are struggling with exactly... haven't had a single complaint about booting on any of the rigs I maintain, whether it be legacy or UEFI boot...