Windows 7 Guide - Installing @ DH

Discussion in 'Competitions Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Jul 13, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read The Article Here
    This is the first in a series of articles on Windows 7 with the first focusing on a guide for beginners. Featuring step by step instructions and screenshots which show exactly what to expect as the installation takes place, this guide should allow those who have very limited knowledge the ability to take advantage of the great features and improvements in Windows 7.

Attached Files:

• 134.jpg
      134.jpg
      File size:
      6.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I am looking forward to significant improvements in speed, and I will probably stick with the 64 bit version as well.

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I have been using Seven for about 9 months - a good OS but you won't notice much difference in speed between this and Vista or even XP. Should see a few more diehard XP users move into the 21st century. :D

4. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

I have all three OSs installed on my system and I can tell you that WIN 7 64 IS faster than Vista 64, which is faster than Vista 32, which is faster than XP 32. I don't have any installs of XP 64 any more, but before I removed them in favor of my WIN 7 installs, Vista 64 was still faster than XP 64. Ergo, WIN 7 64 is faster than XP 64.

Note what OSs I have installed in my Specs at the left.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  5. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Feels exactly the same to me. Any differences between the OS's are gonna be negligible. I think the only people who are gonna concern themselves with speed are gamers. All the benchmarks I've seen show differences to be measured in 2 - 3 percent. These numbers are meaningless in real world usage.

6. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

What you have to understand about Vista and WIN 7 is that they take a week or two to really start showing how much faster they are than XP.

It takes SuperFetch that long to optimize and figure out which programs to pre-load into memory. Once SuperFetch has optomized, Vista and WIN 7 stomp the snot out of XP when it comes to time for loading applications.

Just opening IE8 for example. Takes a second or two in XP, is pretty much instant in my Vista 64 partitions. Catalst Control Center...same thing...I click the icon, it appears INSTANTLY because it's already in memory. When you are opening and closing the same applications all day long it makes a huge difference.

It's also why Vista works better and better as you give it more RAM to work with. It will use as much RAM as it can to pre-load applications.

WIN 7 does the same, but it's SuperFetch is much less aggressive than Vista's, and it won't use all of your memory, which allows a lot of it to go to waste :annoyed: I blame that on the idiots that looked at Vista's RAM usage, saw almost no 'Free RAM', and immediately said "OMFG! Vista is a memory/resource hog, Vista sucks", when the only thing that 'sucked' was their knowledge of a perfectly fine OS.

If there is ANYTHING that I'm disapointed with in WIN 7, it's SuperFetch. I have 8GB of RAM, and WIN 7 doesn't put it all to use like Vista does :tears:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  7. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Yes, my 3GB is currently all being used. About 1GB for programs and the rest cached. All in all I'm pleased with Seven, has some good features - I rely on Aero Peek already. The finish is much better than Vista but not as polished as an Apple OS. I'm still hoping for some new Icons or UI elements for the RTM as I am already used to the current set - I don't expect miracles.

I was hoping for a few extra frames in games with the new WDDM1.1 drivers but so far performance has been pretty much what Vista offered.

8. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Great job on the guide guys :)

Been using Win7 for a while now from the Beta stages and it is faster in benchmarks than Vista on any I have run. They still have some things to work on but as they say Rome wasn't built in a day ;)

9. charm_quark

charm_quark incognito

nice guide indeed! :)

10. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Excellent guide but i still like vista ultimate and will be using it for a while unless windows 7 is much faster, which it is not as far as i know that is ;)

11. Customgamer1

Customgamer1 Fell off the tech wagon

I say it is faster than XP without question. Everything is just more responsive. Other than boot time I don't think it can get much faster. When I click something to open and it does it right away you can't really ask for much more lol.

I am very happy with 7.

12. lepel

lepel New Member

Nice guide. I'd like to install this, but I'd like the ability to dual boot. Can someone explain to me step by step how to do that? (Should I make a new thread?)

Nvm, googled my answer. ;)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  13. buburuza76

buburuza76 HH member

Thanks for this guide. I plan to help a friend doing the upgrade.But my question is if i have a vista with one year license only(i`m mad, don`t ask)and i have it installed if i download 7 RTM, if i choose upgrade when i install would this preserve my license for a year or i`ll be stuck with 30-90 days of 7 RTM?

14. Majin GeoDooD

Majin GeoDooD Well-Known Member

Good guide.. I've been using Windows 7 since January, and it's been my main OS since April. Love it!