Windows 7 has TDR/atikmdag.sys issues

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by OldBuzzard, Jan 10, 2009.

1. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Judas & Grog

If you didn't have TDR issues in Vista, I'm betting that you won't in Win7 either. Also, while you hear a lot about the TDR issue, it's a VERY, VERY SMALL percentage of people that has it. Actually that works against those of us that have the issue. IF there were enough people that had them MS would get off theit butt and find out what is causing them and fix it.

I was unaffected when I was using my old X1950 Pro, and didn't start have problems until I upgraded to the 3870 X2. It appears that TRUE TDR issues are only happening to people with the later generations of vid cards. There is some speculation by a few folks that it's DX10 related, but no one is absolutely sure.

2. grog

grog Roxy Music

In my case:

Vista 64 = AM2+ based system with ASUS 4850 TOP
    Windows 7 = Socket 939 based system with ATI AIW X1800 XL

But I do agree, if we did not have TDR issues with Vista we would not see them with Windows 7. :p:p:p

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

that makes sense obviously, was just mentioning that i have tried a few rare combinations to see if it was specific.

4. fiCti0naL

fiCti0naL New Member

Well I haven't had the crash yet in Vista since I installed it a few days ago. Win7 immediately does it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  5. amond

amond New Member

i had same problem installing windows 7 beta. I booted to CD and restore mode . renamed atikmdag.sys in its three (dir atikmdag.sys) /s) and i was able to move forward and get to complete install. only Windows 7is still mostly fubarred as a number of drivers are not installed including my NIC....

6. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Try installing your VISTA drivers.

I did that for my Creative X-FI Logitech Mouse, and CANON MP530, and they all work just fine.

It appears that if it works(ed) in Vista, it will work in Win 7 as well.

7. homeless2

homeless2 New Member

I've actually been getting this error as of late for no apparently reason. I was running Windows XP SP3 x86 for a long time with no problems. Decided to upgrade to Vista x64 since I recently got 4 gigs of ram and this is when my problems began to occur. Vista for fine for literally 3 days, but after this I get the atikmdag.sys error ONLY when I use OpenGL apps. I do not get it in DirectX applications. Now regardless of OS or system configuration, I get this error be it a fully patched Vista x64 SP1 or WinXP SP3 x86

8. Stormblade

Stormblade New Member

Thought I'd share my story with TDRs.

I'd been having TDR issues for quite some time and didn't realize what it was. At first I thought I was getting the video corruption issue I've read so much about but after a few bios updates the problem remained. Putting the system in SLI mode seemed to make the problem worse. Then of course I thought perhaps it was the driver itself. The fact that both Nvidia and ATI card owners were having the same issue didn't mean that they both weren't having the same driver issue but I continued to research.

For some reason I didn't always get the display driver not responding message but I saw it often enough.

Last week I installed Windows 7 RC 64-bit and the problem persisted. I'd tried everything I'd seen suggested online. Rivatuner with fans on full, switching video cards, updating drivers (graphics, sound and motherboard), re-installing drivers etc. I'd get random TDRs and Crysis would crash on me if I was playing when it happened.

Then I a post where someone said their problem was bad memory. I'd just built this system. Surely the memory which was new was good? Right? Hehe yeah.

Ran Memtest and within 10 minutes it told me I had errors. Then I spent the next few hours testing each memory stick alone. Frustratingly I got no errors after letting it go through 3 full passes but since I'd gotten an error before I knew better so I re-tested again and this time one stick generated errors so that one got taken out. I tested the second one and still no errors so I put that one in alone and tried to get a TDR. Nada.

Played Crysis and got a crash but not a TDR. I think it didn't like trying to play on High settings with only 2 gigs of memory and with me running other crap. So cranked it down and was able to play with no crashes.

So I bit the bullet and went and bought 4 gigs of Corsair memory. I'd bought A-Data memory because it was low priced and had good ratings. It was the first time I'd gone with non Corsair memory in a long time and it'll be a long time before I go with any other.

With the new memory in all my TDR issues have gone away. I ran Crysis with High settings (Which causes it to use more memory) and played for hours. Gonna play some more in a bit here too.

Then just to make sure I ran Memtest and left it over night. No errors found and it made at least 3 full passes of 6 gigs of memory.

So anyone who is experiencing TDRs run memtest. Run it for a while because even if the memory is bad it may still pass memtest for a little bit. Running it over night for like 5-6 hours at least is a good test.

Also keep in mind that there are more than one reason for getting TDRs. Just so happens that my reason was faulty memory.

9. kidwao

kidwao New Member

Guys, I got the solution!
    I got the same error while installing windows seven. My last idea was updating the bios. And it worked! I know it is risky, but I got a little advantage, because I got a motherboard with two bios.

So here is my config:
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3
    Core 2 Duo E8500
    Gigabyte Ati Radeon HD 4850
    FSP Bluestorm 500W
    Win 7 RTM

I think the problem was the uncombatibility between my motherboard and vga. It was pretty annoying, becauseat the end there were some blue deaths under win xp too. And now nothing!

Just one more idea. Use a normal room fan headed to your vga while the install.

I am waiting for your experiences
    Greetings from Hungary!