Windows 7: Kicking Mac OS Butt?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

"There is a lot of bad blood this year between Microsoft and Apple. Apple has aggressively launched a negative political-style marketing campaign against the PC giant. While this advertising blitz - you know, the "I'm a PC/I'm a Mac" shtick - has been well executed and very entertaining, it's also had an uneXPected side-effect as well. In short, it's lit a huge fire under the thousand or so people developing Microsoft's next operating system, Windows 7, and for the first time in over a decade, they're properly focused on slapping Apple upside the head. Much like Apple did with UNIX when the life of the company was on the line for OSX, Microsoft has taken Vista and made massive changes in the user eXPerience from how easy it is to use to how reliable it is and how well it integrates with the Web, including non-Microsoft sites and utilities (like iTunes). Of course, one disadvantage Microsoft has is that it's talking about most of this during the Professional Developers Conference (PDC) this week, and clearly Apple will see what was done and will have a little time to respond. "

2. hohum

hohum New Member

Some of the comments under the article on that page are just daft. Whining about the 3GB limit, despite it being inherant due to using 32-bit architecture, thus limiting available address space... yeah, all Microsoft's fault that. :rolleyes:

Also... 'How is Microsoft going to bridge the 32/64 bridge so that applications (and drivers) built for the 64-bit version will work well for the 32-bit and vice-versa'...? What? That comment is just nonsense.

3. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Nobody are more insecure about them self, then whining Mac fanboys.
    It's get real old, really fast.

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

interesting article, doesn't really say all that much though... looking forward to seeing Windows 7

that's just a dumb comment, obviously doesn't understand 32bit architecture
    Not exactly, Windows (so far) has been either one or the other, 32 bit only, or 64bit only (with support for 32bit apps only)

OS X is more of a hybrid OS, elements of the OS, Drivers and Applications can be a mixture of 32 or 64bit, and users can't really tell the difference - that sort of transparency could be extremely handy with Windows

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'm not a fan of the idea of mixing 32bit drivers with 64bit drivers..... if i want a 64bit system, i bloody well should have 64bit drivers.

the unfortunate part of all this is the windows x64 already has 64/32bit drivers.... the way they are doing it is just slapping on a little bit of code to make it work as a 64bit driver... Limitations and such still excist in which case errors occur under strange circumstances.

I've seen wireless cards/videocards/sound cards/tons of different hardware that use a 64bit driver but quite often run into the 32bit limitations causing chaos.

wireless card would act irratically with more then 3gb of ram installed, emediately BSOD under these conditions if certain things were done, mostly uploading. Strange that it works fine. Look around the net, you can google alot of senarios where more then 3 or 3.5gb of ram in a 64bit os will cause specific devices to BSOD or fail completely/not work at all/improperly

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

then they really didn't code the 64bit driver properly...

MS really should have a "32 bit zone" for drivers, as they do for applications to prevent the issues you've mentioned about not-quite-64-bit drivers, and prevent headaches for users of legacy programs/drivers, or who use industry-standard programs from developers who ignore the enthusiast 64bit trend (there are more than a few in the professional arena)

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

no they didn't but somehow they are getting by microsoft WHQL certifications..... frankly i wouldn't be serprised if microsoft said ":x it cert them, we'll get them next os"

it's just unfortunate that they aren't developing windows 7 as a 64bit only OS.... why in the hell aren't they dropping the 32bit os.... for gaud sakes, standard PCs are being loaded with 4gb right now with it being limited to 3.5 or less, 2gb is considered low end and 6 or 8gb higher end... wtf