Windows 7 Pre-Order Site now up

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Tipstaff, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

For anyone interested Microsofts Windows 7 Pre-Order site is up and running right now. I think it's only for North American users though. US residents can get discs sent to them for a nominal price, but for the rest of us it's the digital download only.

Of note, there is a 58% discount for pre-orders of the upgrade edition of Windows 7 Home Premium ($49.99 instead of $119.99), and a 50% discount for the upgrade version of Windows 7 Professional ($99.99 instead of $199.99).

Edit: I guess I should have gone a bit further as their store doesn't allow for Canadian billing address even if it is for a digital download. Oh well.

Anyways, in the top right corner of their site there is a drop down box for changing countries. The reason I mention this is that each country seems to be getting different deals for Windows 7. If you live in Europe they have a deal that if you buy any version of Windows Vista you will get the equivalent version of Windows 7 for free. Not an upgrade version either, but a full version. Very sweet deal if you ask me.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  2. e v o

e v o New Member

I may do this as it's definitely a great deal. My only question is will it be possible to do a clean install with the upgrade disk? I remember with XP there was a way to do this, but forgive me if I'm wrong.

3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Not sure on the upgrade disk I am assuming they consider you already have Win7 RC installed.

Nice post Tipstaff pinned :)

4. Tipstaff

If you look at the bottom of the page it mentions that:

Upgrading from Windows 2000 or Windows XP will require a clean install (it's my understanding that this won't be a long time deal, that you can only do this for a year/year and a half or some such)

Upgrading from Vista can be done 1 of 2 ways: a clean install, or an in place upgrade.

How exactly it will do it's verification without being within Windows.. I can't say for sure as it hasn't been mentioned, but one would assume it would be something like disc checking, or product key checking (either during install or after installation).

5. e v o

e v o New Member

Thanks for reading the fine print :D. I think I will probably jump on this.

6. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

HEH...I just ordered it.

I went with the "Ship it" option. I can wait the week or so it will take for the DVD to arrive.

7. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Tipstaff, the MS store doesn't serve Canada, but most Canadian retailers listed on the MS site (Staples and Futureshop that I checked) are offering pre-orders with free shipping.

I'm holding out personally, the ultimate steal program has Vista Ultimate for $70 CAD, I'm hoping they get a similar deal for Windows 7.

8. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Question does this preorder work for XP home Editon? I need to know 50 bucks kinda cheap hehe :)

9. Tipstaff

The pre-order doesn't require that you own a specific version. It's just a pre-order for whatever Windows 7 you want, so you can get it regardless of what OS you have currently. Just note that you would have to do a clean install of Windows 7 as there is no in-place upgrade from XP to Windows 7 available (only allowed for Vista).

10. Robert McClelland

Not true this listed at MS site If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications.?

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

That's the way I understand it Robert, no actual upgrading from XP without a clean install.

12. Robert McClelland

So I do clean full installed after formated then upgrade with win 7 when it comes out? Or Do you have do all the patches before the upgrade on XP? thats tricky and confusing lol I think you can used win 7 upgrade for xp just have clean installed.

13. Tyrsonswood

I don't think XP can be on the drive, you just need to own it to take advantage of the "upgrade" versus full retail pricing. So technically you aren't upgrading but replacing. Just like with the RC that's out now.

14. Robert McClelland

Yes thats what I ment I think it can be done with out vista lol you just omly upgrading from XP to win 7 correct?

15. Tyrsonswood

If the pre-order site allows the discount for that I don't know, meaning the "upgrade" vs. retail. I would think they would include XP as a valid OS to get upgrade pricing, not sure though. But all along MS has been saying you won't be able to do an upgrade install for XP but you can for vista. Meaning overwriting an existing installation. Upgrade installs are never recommended anyways.

16. Robert McClelland

So this means you can't installed the Win 7 upgrade from XP Home clean? Need to know I was going asik my second brother order this for me as Christmas gift lol.

17. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Robert,

If you have XP, you can order the Win 7 upgrade. You just won't be able to upgrade your XP install to Win 7. You will have to do a 'clean' install of Win 7.

That means that you will need to backup any settings/files from XP that you will want to use in Win 7. Things like e-mail address lists, Favorites, and etc. Actually, if you are using WIN 7 RC1, the same thing applies.

If you have VISTA installed, you can run the update, and when you are finished, your VISTA install will become WIN 7, and will have all of the settings in it that you had in VISTA.

I installed WIN 7 RC1 both ways. Once as an upgrade to an existing VISTA partition, and once as a 'clean' install to a freshly formatted partition. I didn't see any difference between the two installs when I was finished.