Windows 7 RC1 Candidate

Discussion in 'Polls' started by HardwareHeaven, May 9, 2009.

?

Windows 7 RC1 Candidate

1. Awesome - so long Vista !

36 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. Can't wait to try it out

9 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. Windows 7? whats that?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Still rate vista higher

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. I still prefer XP

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. Hate windows, has not changed

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

2. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Whoops! I had a brain fart. Sorry about that - and I didn't mean to mislead anyone - myself included :rolleyes:. That's the second time this past week I had forgotten about that. I even copied a chart that Ed Bott at ZDnet made Here to check against the machines in use at work! :rofl:

I am wondering how the add-on to the RC1 package works to activate itself when needed, and what kind of, if any, preconfiguring is needed...

3. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

8 & 9 don't play HD DVDs though, and I have 30 of them. :(

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

ah yes.. indeed that is a problem..

i got about 8 of the hd-dvd's.. i just use my xbox360 to play them though :p

5. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

6. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

7. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

Thanks for that statement. I now know which of my computers not to try it out on :D

8. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

The only a few issues that I've ran into and one that is rather a pain on my test box. On load up, Audiosrv.exe takes up 100% CPU time and I've had to hard boot the thing for it to sometimes work right (Task Manager will not kill it). I finally just disabled all Windows sound Services for now as I don't really care about it at the moment however eventually I'll have to look at it. I'm using an on board sound for that machine which I believe is a Realtek (at work so don't really remember).

The other problem I've ran into that I haven't had time to look at either is sharing out the printer to the other pc's on the network. They are XP based and installing the printer works just fine and the XP boxes can all see the printer, however they do not print. I've tried IP printing to that box instead and same thing. I just haven't had time to look further into it.

9. swimtech

Referring mainly to the post above, a question that might be helpful to have answered...

I had to manually install the latest chipset drivers for the original Beta release (7000), as well as interim release 7057 on a mainboard with the Intel Q65 chipset (965 derivative chipset). Has anyone had to do that with mainboards using Nvidia chipsets?

Also, I vaguely remember an issue with network file and print sharing between Vista and XP machines, which might apply to exchanges between Win7 and XP machines - I remember finding the information by searching the knowledge base at Microsoft...

10. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

I'm using the 32bit on my lappy it's not actually compatible due to a crappy Texas Instruments card reader but I never use that anyway so I just killed pcmcia.sys in the install and everything else is fine. Haven't tried the X64 on my Main machine yet, I'm gonna wait and see what SP2 does for Vista.

11. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

Thanks for the printer tip. I'll look more into it this weekend.

12. swimtech

...about SP2 for Vista - I've installed it and this machine seems to run a tad more smoothly and it does add some new features, but most are "under the hood"

You can click This Link to jump to the Notable Changes document from Microsoft on the subject.

13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

as much as i gathered.... sp2 for vista is halfway windows 7 ... so far with my sp2ness that i've fiddled with

14. tanka12345

tanka12345 New Member

Getting the exact same thing here :confused:

15. imagination

imagination HH HH HH :)

7even is what vista should have been from the start. I had vista sp1 and now i have RC from 7. It`s the best SO M$ could have.

16. Poppi

Poppi DH Admirer

Windows 7 is like a free hardware upgrade for me with with 6 free games. Both Crysis', Stalker Clear Sky, Bioshock, Farcry 2, and Gears of War all in DX10. Lovely and compeling.

Funny, I just downloaded COD World at War for half price on Steam. It's a solid game, but I find myself back in the driver's seat of a Jeep, all to soon. Something about DX10 versus DX9.

I wouldn't compare it to swiching from dial up to broadband, but you can sure see the graphic enhancements. Oh, did I mention how smooth W7 is. All this on a 939 AGP system.

17. swimtech

...that Vista SP2 enables Windows to burn Blu-Ray discs will be a biggie for some folks I can imagine - not for me though, yet. Those discs are still quite expensive.

18. Cannyone

Cannyone New Member

I voted - "I still prefer XP" - even though I have been running Vista for a while now. And the reason is that still prefer the level of personal control I had under XP. Simply put, there's all kinds of small things that Vista will not allow you to do. If anything Windows 7 is actually worse in this regard, so despite the hope that it will improve performance, I know it will still frustrate me just a bit.

19. Cannyone

Cannyone New Member

So you installed Windows 7 on "a 939 AGP system", and you're running DX10 games? So what video card do you have? :confused:

20. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD New Member

Not been a fan of Vista and been using XP as main OS but I'm really liking Windows 7 RC1 so far. Windows 7 will be my main OS whenever I upgrade comp next time, maybe an i5 or i7 setup.