Windows 7 Upgrade should start in 2010

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by MIG-31, Jun 2, 2010.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Read Full Story Here.

Microsoft's Windows XP should be eliminated from businesses' PCs by the end of 2012, according to a new report from research firm Gartner.

2. blown503

blown503 New Member

Thats awful how micro$haft craps on people who bought their winxp products. Just think if you bought a car 3 years ago and the dealer said well we are not going to service it anymore, you have to buy a new one.

3. JaccoW

JaccoW New Member

Yes, but with the main difference of being software and being from (the end of) 2001. Two completely different types of goods.

There were two newer versions of the OS released in the meantime. I don't expect my old cellphone being supported after such a long time.
    It might still work, but it is only a matter of courtesy from the producer to provide updated software for it after that long.
    XP is a good OS, but it's flaws have become apparent too, especially with newer hardware. Think support for 64-bit and High capacity harddrives (2TB+).

4. blown503

blown503 New Member

2 tb hard drives are unreal though. Thats like having a garage full of nothing but junk, and you cant get your car back in. No consumer needs that much space. Music pirate or garbage collector. Micr$haft designed their operating system on purpose to need new hardware. Look at quad core sli, which only works in vista and win7. I mean really is it worth all the hipe? I have it and its not that great. ( makes the room so hot you cant stand to be in there after 3 or 4 hours.

5. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

First off, Micr$haft? Honestly? Where's the O for crying out loud, and only the ignorant still think that replacing an s with $ is a grand political statement.

Secondly Microsoft don't make any money from hardware sales so why would they release a new OS specifically to sell hardware? The only company that profits from that business model is Apple who sell hardware and software. If you look at the requirements for any Microsoft OS released in the past ten years you will see that the hardware requirements are at least two generations behind. Windows Vista and 7 support Quad SLI but only requires a single GPU to work as well as a single core CPU and original DDR memory which is what I am running Windows 7 on at the moment.

A new OS makes use of new hardware and can be built with it in mind. 64 Bit architecture for example allows more than just a higher memory cap but in turn does require more memory to run efficiently. The updated GUI wasn't built to promote new hardware but a decision was made in development as to what the de facto standard would be upon release and the GUI was built with this in mind.

Also you've bought a Quad core SLI system but think 2TB+ is unreal? I can eat through 2TB very quickly without resorting to piracy. Ripping a HD movie without compressing the video or audio can easily come in at between 10-20GB, that's between one and two hundred movies. A mini series like Firefly which is about 14 episodes in length totals about 9.5 hours long and we can look at around 60GB uncompressed so we can get around 34 series onto 2TB. That's not including music collections in uncompressed audio or video editors dealing with source material, game designers and 3D movie artists.

There's also the fact that new OS's are built around standards, old OS's have them bolted on. WiFi for example is a considerable pain on XP but childsplay on Vista and Windows 7.

6. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

The difference here is that Windows XP is almost 10 years old now. It's just too out-dated and insecure for enterprises to run worry-free anymore.

You could argue the car case all the time, But your car isn't going to pick up a malicious infection from just driving down the road.

And before ANYONE Raises the hardware and drivers argument, Please take into account that the Windows Update Driver Database for Vista + 7 is almost 6 times as big as Windows XP's is currently. So unless you're still trying to run some kind of device from 1999 on your system, You're pretty much sorted.

7. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Well the car case is mute anyway, I had to replace my car after two years because the car itself was over ten years (similar to XP) and the exhaust rusted away and servicing it would cost more than what the car was worth so the dealer wouldn't service it and advised me to buy a new car. When any product reaches a certain age regardless of when you bought it few companies will service it.

Also the important thing to note is that Microsoft aren't switching off Windows XP and you can still run it, its just not feasible to update or maintain it at this stage so they will stop fixing any new problems that arise especially seeing as many exploits and issues have already been closed down by Windows Vista and Windows 7 superior build.

8. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Microsoft will also support Windows XP up until it's almost 13 years old. That can't be so bad? Chances are they might have to extend a wee bit further, but we'll see more about that in a couple of years...

9. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

No, but after a few years the warranty on the car will have ran out and if anything goes wrong with the car you must pay for it.

This is the same, Windows XP is nearly 10 years old, at which point most main dealers would advise that you buy a new car rather than continually repair the aging thing and Microsoft is doing the same with Windows XP. It is outmoded, outdated and people (especially businesses) need to update to the latest model ASAP.

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

3? What?

they already do this..

Parts for some vehicles and various equipment has a discontinued date, where the manufacturers can drop full supported on specific parts and items, they won't manufacture them at all anymore. Only way to get replacements is to go through alternative jobbers and hope they have something that'll work.

and it's getting damn close to 10 years since windows XP launched, i do not think we would be hearing people screaming if in 2005/2006 that windows 95 was no longer going to be 100% supported.... Shit you couldn't get it to even install on anything lol

WHY do people still insist that windows xp is anything but anchient old and a terrible OS in comparison to what's available now? Specially when a windows XP key is worth twice as much as a windows 7 home premimum key.

11. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Oh Really?

Then how is it that I have WIN 7 running on a 'system' (Asus eee900 Netbook) with a 900MHz CELERON, 16GB SSD, and 2GB RAM? Not only is it running on that system, it runs BETTER with 7 that it did with XP.

I could fill a 2TB HDD in a heart beat with just Operating SYSTEMS. I use HyperOS, and have 8 installs of Vista, 7, and XP on a 750GB HDD, and they just barrely fit. I'll be going to 3x 2TB drives some time in the near future, just so I have more room for 'goodies' I currently have a 750GB, a 300GB,and a 200GB HDDs in this system, and I'm pretty much out of room now.

You need to stop listening to people that have no clue as to the merits of Vista/7 vs XP. XP was fine in it's day, but that day is long past.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  12. Cannyone

Cannyone New Member

@blown503 - There will be some security updates for XP systems with SP3 installed. But, yeah, you do have to expect Microsoft, and every other major software company, to release new software versions. And you can also count on them wanting to charge you for the same... That is just a fact of life when you live in a Capitalistic (global) society.

Still, if you know what you're doing ... and you stay off the internet, you can keep your system running for as long as the hardware lasts! Otherwise you will just end up with a zombie box sooner rather than later. The choice is up to you.

Oh! BTW I have a bunch of old games I'll give to you. They aren't bad. They mainly just don't work with Widescreen displays, and the newer OSs. I'd be happy to send them to you, with a complimentary copy of Windows 98 SE, just in case you really want to go "old school". :p

13. Judas

i know some people still using 3.1 and 95 and 98 as well as windows ME TODAY for internet....

14. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

I have windows 3.1 box I think :) I wonder how much that is? It has alots floppy disk lol

15. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I think the main problem is that Microsoft will force users to upgrade when XP works fine for a large amount of businesses.

From the standpoint of most business you don't need 4 gb of memory, a 2 TB HDD, or direct X 11. Any businesses that have this need have probably already upgraded.

And it really isn't that hard to support older software, especially XP compared to Vista or 7 (98 to XP was a huge step). Why should a business pay 1,000's of dollars to put UAC (are you sure you want to take a sh*t? Are you sure you want to wipe ur ass?) on their computers when the current system works fine?

You don't hear about New Viruses or hacks destroying the old system because they haven't upgraded to 7 yet.

It just sounds like a bunch of bullshit. It also sounds like since a lot of you already have 7 or Vista that your not only defending you waste of $15-$600 but that you are determined to feed that same bullshit Microsoft has been feeding you.

16. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

A large amount of businesses, especially medium sized businesses upwards would be on an annual licence agreement with Microsoft so they don't pay any extra for upgrades to Windows Vista or Windows 7, its included in the licence cost.

Larger firms also do "roll-outs" of new systems when it becomes harder to source old products. Our systems run on P4s at the moment and when our XP builds get replaced with Windows Vista over the coming months these will be replaced with Core Duo machines as part of the contract we have with our IT provider.

Smaller firms are not placed in that bad a position as few of their systems are connected to the internet and most of the stock and EPOS machines will use customised OS's like Windows CE. The only real problem companies face when changing the OS is compatibility with 3rd party software but as long as your machine isn't connected to the internet or you setup a good gateway firewall you don't have to be overly concerned.

17. Judas

Actually fact of the matter.... Windows XP even with a most security software solultions installed, are infected easily due to the lack of UAC and other security protocals in windows vista or windows 7..

The number of machines i'm having to clean up has sky rocketed with windows XP machines when nothing is done, and the computer is left simply on even.

Where as the only windows 7/vista machines i've had to clean up are ones where someone has disabled UAC, OR purposely clicked "Allow"

UAC prompts shouldn't ever be happening beyond installing anything that requires direct access to the windows critical files or registry...... so far i've yet to see a single occurance where a virus/trojan or malware has managed to get onto ANY machine whatsoever without any form of security software provided UAC is turned on.. and the user doesn't allow these viruses access.. The moment the user clicks allow reguardless of the security software present.. it's done and over with

18. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

If anyone panicking/complaining about MS's discontinuing support for WindowsXP bothered to read the eWeek article linked in the news, they would see that MS will keep making security parches for XP until April 2014. Taking into consideration that MS doesn't sell XP since 2008, except for netbooks where XP is still selling, but will no longer be available from some point later this year, the 2014 date seems fair enough to me.

19. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

You don't REALLY believe that do you?

I have all three of those OSs on my system, and Win 7 is SO much better than XP that it's laughable to even compare the two.

Comparing 7 to XP is like comparing XP to Win 3.11.

I could see some business not upgrading to Vista because of software compatibility, but that excuse doesn't fly with 7 since it has Virtual XP available with it for FREE.

Also, the 'old hardware' excuse doesn't work either. Not when Win 7 Premium runs perfectly fine, and better/faster on something like a netbook with a Celeron 900MHz processor.

No, there are only two reasons for a business not upgrading to Win 7. LAZINESS and/or incompetence of the IT dept, or 'fear of something new". For an individual, you can add lack of $$, which would be the only VALID reason for not upgrading.

20. Cannyone

Cannyone New Member

This is TRUE, but you need to have SP3 to get those updates. And the reason for that restriction is because the Windows Update Tool needs to be updated. The catch is that many XP users don't want to install SP3 because they don't have a legit copy of XP.

Agreed! The Only valid reason for not upgrading is a lack of cash. But, as described above, I can't help but suspect that those here hating on MS are people who don't even have a legit copy of XP. And they are simply scared they will be put off their Free OS. So I have no sympathy for them at all.

The reason why I suspect this is because I have a few RL friends that are just that way. They HATE Microsoft for dropping support for an OS they never paid for, and they're too cheap to buy a copy of Windows 7. So I laugh at them mostly, and tease them just a bit :p, because they aren't being rational.

P.S. OldBuzzard I like your sig! :D