Windows 8.1 'August Update' now available for download

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Aug 12, 2014.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Microsoft has released the 'August Update' for Windows 8.1 which will be part of a new monthly release cycle that will bring minor enhancements to the OS.

Microsoft has said that the following updates will be included for Windows 8.1 users:
    • Precision touchpad improvements – three new end-user settings have been added: Leave touch pad on when a mouse is connected; allow right-clicks on the touchpad; double-tap and drag.
    • Miracast Receive – exposes a set of Wi-Fi direct APIs for Independent Hardware Vendor (IHV) drivers or OEM drivers to develop Windows 32-bit applications that run on all supported x86-based or x64-based versions of Windows 8.1, enabling the computer as a Miracast receiver.
    • Minimizing login prompts for SharePoint Online – reduces the number of prompts with federated use in accessing SharePoint Online sites. If you select the “Keep me signed in” check box when you log on for the first time, you will not see prompts for successive access to that SharePoint Online site.
    Download: Windows 8.1 'August Update' x86 | x64

2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I hadn't noticed that it was already installed on my home system. No wonder they dropped the big name for this update and just released it like any other.

On a side not about Window Update, a customer brought in a new Windows 8 machine the other day saying that it ran so slowly that there might be something wrong with it. It proved to be that he was on the path of getting a total of about 1.5 GigaBytes of updates for the system, and the internet connection was a mobile dongle. I couldn't blame him one bit and gave him free service on the matter.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

If it was updating to Win 8.1 (or updating Win 8.1 to Update 1), then no wonder.

This is only a minor part of what was supposed to be in Update 2. Personally, I only really cared about the restoration of Start menu, but, in all likelihood, that bit has been scrapped altogether.