Windows Media player dark and low audio

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by drivehard454, Nov 5, 2008.

1. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I am using Windows media player to watch dvd movies on my monitor. Media player works fine for all other applications, but when I use it to watch a dvd movie, the screen is very dark and I have to crank the volume just to barely hear what is going on. Is there a fix for this? What causes it to behave this way? Thanks.

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Moved to correct forums.

I assume you are using CRT monitor. There are some tweaks that you might use, like customize the gamma when media player is used. Other reason might be that you have old monitor and it's not performing as it bets. btw. Does this problem occur on other DVD-players?

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Wait, is there a problem with the volume or the brightness? I am confused. Also, what is your operating system?

4. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Thanks for directing me to the correct forum. When I use WMP for viewing videos, Like from email or online vidoes and music vidoes, or even videos from the camera, The screen brightness is just fine and the volume is fine.

This is being viewed on my old 19 " crt monitor.

The problem I am experiencing is when I put a movie dvd in the disc drive and try to watch the movie, The movie is very dark, like the brightness is way down and the volume is very low. I can go from watching a video with WMP, which plays just fine, and then a movie without changing any settings and this is the results I get. I cannot set the brightness any higher on the monitor and I have to turn the volume all the way up which is still too low.

Our Tv died, so until I can get up the cash for a better new big screen, we are using the computer to watch movies for the time being.

Sounds primitive I know, but that the way it is for now.

Thanks

5. Trusteft

What is your operating system?

6. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Sorry, Windows XP

7. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Also I am using WMP 11. All updates have been installed WMP, And Operating system.

8. Trusteft

Open the volume mixer of Windows, click on advanced under File to show all bars, and make sure that all the bars are up.

Google VLC and download the program (free). It's a media player, and use it to play the DVD. Does the problem repeat itself?

9. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I've checked all the on-board volumes and controls already. Like I said, I have no problems with anything else, just when I play movie dvds.

I do have DivX player and Interactual player installed. I tried both of them also and I get the same results. They play my other videos just fine though also. Seems it just has to do with movie dvds.

I am thinking this is a graphics card problem? Maybe something to do with the high resolution quality of dvds?

I know that I am a bit outdated compared to 95% of the people on this site, but my system should be able to handle this just fine.

My specs should be posted on the left.

10. Trusteft

I can't think of a reason a graphics card would cause this. Unless you changed some settings in the drivers of the graphics card so that it shows low brightness during dvd playback, but I don't know how you would do that, or why/how it would affect the sound.
    What drive is it? It might be a malfunctioning dvd-rom drive, but that is more like guess. Unless you are using one of those old mpeg2 decoder cards (like the dxr2 from Creative) and it is causing some conflict with the whole thing. But then your DVD drive would have to be about 11-12 years old.

11. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

No, it's not the drive. I use my other drive and it is the same. The graphics card was just a shot in the dark. There has to be some reason for this.

If I go into video setting of the WMP there is an adjustment for brightness, contrast, hue, saturation. I cannot adjust the properties. When I move the slider, it does nothing and returns to the set position. I tried adjusting the properties while playing a music video and the adjustments go wherever I set them, and the default is just fine. I went back to the movie to see if the adjustment would stay, but they went back to default and will not adjust again.

Plus, for my music video, the volume is fine, I can crank it up as loud as I like, but the movie, I have to crank it all the way up just to hear it.

12. Trusteft

Please try VLC.

13. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I installed VLC. I can crank the sound much higher. The movie is still very dark. I tried a music video and it plays fine. The sound however blasted from the speakers at the level I had to set it for the movie. The movie was set about 3/4 up and the video only needs a 1/4 to be just as loud. Seems to be the same issues. I tried to turn on the extended settings for both the movie and video and it will not come up for either.

14. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

What is seems like is the black colors on the screen are overpowering or overwhelming the rest of the colors. where there is lighter color, like white, it is definitely white, not dimmed out to a gray type look--if you can understand what I am saying--- therefore it is very hard to see anything in night scenes and where there is a lot of dark colors. But this is only an issue when playing a movie DVD. any other video or clip or whatever works just fine, audio and video.

WEIRD

15. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I would like to state too, that even though this is a relic crt monitor, The color and brightness is fine. There are no problems with it.

16. Trusteft

I am out of ideas.

17. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Well, thanks for the ideas BlueMak........... Any one else??

18. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

sounds like video overlay options, or more like the codec that is decoding the mpeg2 (dvd format) video is set to lower brightness, though that doesnt explain VLC (doesnt use codecs/uses its built in ones)

SourceForge.net: Files can you try playing in MPC, then as it plays, right click>filters, & if there's some kind of 'mpeg2' in the list, it may have options when you click it

[​IMG]

19. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

After messing around this morning, I was able to go in the plug-in options menu for the DVD AC3filter and turn the master gain up. This brought the sound level up to a higher volume output.

The movie still however is very dark. I cannot find any way to adjust this. I still can't figure out why I cannot move the brightness and contrast sliders for the player in video settings. It work on videos, but not the dvd movie.

20. Trusteft

That's weird. VLC shouldn't have been affected by that at all.