Windows says my C:\ drive is full but it really shouldn't be

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by BabylenTatarsky, Jul 15, 2015.

1. BabylenTatarsky

BabylenTatarsky Rocks Your Socks

I have a SSD with Windows on it, which is my C:\ drive. (90GB Corsair F100 SSD)
    I have an internal HDD and is my D:\ drive. (3TB Western Digital HDD)

I also have an external 1TB Seagate HDD but that isn't important here.

Anyway, I've noticed my C:\ drive is saying it's full. Completely full!

A few months ago I noticed it was getting full and Google suggested turning off Hibernation, and it seemed to do the trick, but now it's filled up again! Here is a screenshot of my HDDs:

[​IMG]

Due to the massive amount of space on the D:\ drive, that's where my Users, Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders are stored.

I did this when I first installed Windows 7, using a Registry tweak that redirects all the Users folders to the D:\ drive, like this screenshot shows:

[​IMG]

There was a lot to alter but I won't screenshot every step; it's easy to find on Google.

If I go to my C:\ drive the folders I moved are just shown as shortcuts:

[​IMG]

But when I click on them, the address bar at the top still says they are on the C:\ drive:

[​IMG]

And if I go back and click on the Properties for the Users folder it not only says it's on the C:\ drive, it also says it's 1.5TB in size, which is just mind-boggling.

[​IMG]

What's going on?

But if I navigate to the D:\ drive and click on Users I get the same folder!

[​IMG]

Confusing, right?

I downloaded a program called DriveSpacio which tells you where all the space is gone, basically, and shows you the exact size of every folder. When I use it to scan my C:\ drive it shows the Users folder and the Program Files folders are taking up all the space. They're meant to be on the D:\ drive though!

I will run a scan of the C:\ drive first and post the results below:

[​IMG]

And if I click on the Users\Baz folder:

[​IMG]

Everything that's supposed to be on the D:\ drive!

And now I will run a scan of the D:\ drive and post the results too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're there too?

I ran Disc Cleanup on my C:\ drive to see if it could suggest anything to delete and it was empty:
    [​IMG]

Yet the Low Disk Space alert keeps popping up. :(

If anyone could help me figure this out, I'd really appreciate it. I'm even happy to go on TeamViewer if you wanna poke around on regedit, if you know what you're doing, to make sure all the linked folders were set up correctly.

All suggestions welcome!

2. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

It's telling the folders are the same size. What I imagine has happened, but I am sure you have had the same idea, is that instead putting everything on D: it is cloning instead and you have 2 copies of everything

3. BabylenTatarsky

Is there any way to fix that?

I'd much rather have those three folders solely on the D:\ drive, rather than the alternate solution of moving the biggest folders (in this case Videos, Downloads and Music, I guess) to a different folder on the D:\ drive.

4. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

It's really very easy to move those folders

[​IMG]

Click this and follow the steps. This has been available since at least Windows 7

QB

5. BabylenTatarsky

The problem is when I access the Videos folder by going through the D:\ drive, it shows as this:

[​IMG]

And when I access it via the C:\ drive there is no Location tab:

[​IMG]

I would say it's as if there are two identical folders running side by side but the Videos folder wouldn't even fit on the C:\ drive. It is actually on the D:\ drive, as intended, but for some reason the C:\ drive is deciding it's filled up by those folders. Very frustrating.

If I access the Videos folder from the side of Explorer, under Libraries, it shows it definitely is on the D:\ drive:

[​IMG]

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Delete your shadow copies...

7. BabylenTatarsky

But that will delete them from both places.

I tested this by MOVING some large folders (Videos, Music & Downloads) from the Users folder to a newly created folder on my D drive, and whichever way I access those folders now - be it via the C or D drive - they show as empty. They're definitely not there twice. They are all on the D drive but for some reason the C drive thinks they're on there too and says its full.

I will try moving everything from my User folder and then.. I dunno, delete the original folders entirely?

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Deleting the shadow copies? Do you REALLY need the shadow copies of those files? I've seen 300GB drives filled to capacity because there were literally dozens of shadow copies of the same files, some of which were videos which really add up quick. Seeing half or over half of the drive empty out completely due to deleting the shadow copies leaving the latest file in it's place doesn't seem like a problem. The advantage of a shadow copy is that in the event of something corrupting the one you can actually see, or incidentally opening and making unintended changes and saving the file....

Once you delete the shadow copies, the next time you open up the files it should make a shadow copy for you again.

9. RealityRipple

RealityRipple Embrace Entropy

Wow, you really screwed with your filesystem, didn't you?

Next time, just keep "Users" on the C drive and use the "Location" property tab to re-locate your Documents/Pictures/Videos/Downloads/Desktop directories to your external drive. Shadow-copy shortcuts on Windows tend to be a very very bad idea.