Windows Update - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by t0qt2bsngl, Feb 7, 2005.

1. t0qt2bsngl

t0qt2bsngl New Member

Is anyone else getting this windows update? It's bizarre. It says it's installing, but it's taking forever! Also, the progress bar hasn't even started to move yet. :confused:

2. t0qt2bsngl

t0qt2bsngl New Member

Here's a SS. I'm not sure what it's doing, but I'm pretty sure it isn't going to budge. It's been "installing" for the past 20 minutes without moving. I've cancelled, restarted and it just pops up again and sticks.

3. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

just a small mention

you may not need them from windows update. they may be 'microsoft' drivers or an older whql driver.this may only show up if you're using older or beta drivers such as omega drivers.

i used to get the same way back on a nvidia ti4200 some time ago.

4. crlorentzen

crlorentzen New Member

the funny thing is this comes as a critical update...not in the driver section like normal.

5. redsolar

redsolar Off duty

Don't bother with those drivers. Old and useless.

6. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

they are actually the whql 5.1 cats.
    when i was useing the unian 5.1 drivers this update wasnt trying to install but since i started useing the fixed omegas today it has been, until i told the installer to not remind me of this update.

7. technonerd

technonerd New Member

I never use Window update for Drivers. They're usally crappy.

8. Arraso

Arraso New Member

Yes, that is strange. VERY weird. I have seen this update before, but in "hardware" section, never in critical updates section.

And even with last omega/catalyst, WU shows this Radeon 9800PRO "Update" to me.

9. t0qt2bsngl

t0qt2bsngl New Member

Windows Update is still stuck, and it won't go away either (unless I turn off windows update completely). How am I supposed to get around this without shutting off Windows Update?

I even completely uninstalled ATI, CCC, Omega, all of it, and used Driver Cleaner, rebooted, and it still popped up saying "Updates are ready to install" Then when I go to install them, it gets stuck... Though it doesn't "stop responding".. it just doesn't do anything at all... :wtf:

10. t0qt2bsngl

t0qt2bsngl New Member

Okay now this is weird... When I went to the actual windows update page to see exactly what I was installing, it shows this: wtf..

0kb download.. It's trying to install nothing.. No wonder why it won't install, and just sits there.. Now my problem is trying to either make my system think it already has the update, or trying to cancel it without it coming back at the next reboot..

11. BAdD0gg

BAdD0gg Member

next time it comes up just click cancel and then click the do not remind me again button. Works like a charm. You will never get prompted again for that update.

12. t0qt2bsngl

t0qt2bsngl New Member

Oh.. I haven't seen that.. probably because whenever I hit 'cancel' it gets stuck cancelling the installation as well. :(

13. t0qt2bsngl

t0qt2bsngl New Member

btw I decided to leave it 'canceling' and left to run errands.. Yeah it's still "Canceling updates." So the dialogue to "Never remind me again" won't show up, thus I'm stuck with this horrible nagging update that won't update, or go away. I suppose I could shut off windows update, but that's hardly a fix.. that's more like ignoring a problem. :sigh:

14. Ev!L-aLphA

Ev!L-aLphA | n f e c t e D

dont ever install drivers from windows update... they are all OLLLllld and bad! always download drivers from the site.. ati.com :)

evil

15. t0qt2bsngl

t0qt2bsngl New Member

Yeah.. I'm hearing that a lot lately. Unfortunately it's not helping my situation. Also, I like Windows Updates to be on Automatic download and install. That way, I won't miss critical updates, and forget to update my os.