Windows Update Includes new Disk Cleanup Option

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by RealityRipple, Oct 10, 2013.

1. RealityRipple

RealityRipple Embrace Entropy

The ability to clean up old Windows Updates!

Tuesday's monthly updates included, among the usual fixes, a new update to the very old Disk Cleanup utility that's come standard with Windows since the 9x branch. The new "Old Windows Updates Files" option will only show up if you have some outdated update data, but if it does, you can expect a nice chunk of free space on your primary drive by checking it. On average, a fresh install of Windows 7 updated to current versions will save between 800 MB and 1 GB, while computers that have been through a few revisions of updates can see 3 or more GB back after cleanup. The description warns that cleaning up Windows Updates may require a restart, though it didn't bother to prompt for one on any of my systems. It's funny, I was just thinking the winsxs folder is far too large... I guess someone at Microsoft finally thought so, too.

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

For me it was 3.9GB :w00t:

3. |2A|N

|2A|N SE7EN57

Better later than never I suppose :)

4. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I had 16.7GB free on my SSD.

I installed the update and on reboot I had been reduced to 16.2GB. So I updated then ran the disk clean again and sure enough there was the Windows Update entry, it told me I had 1.6GB of space available under that entry so I ran it and on completion I now have 16.0GB free.

:confused:

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

The main Clean Up Utility UI only showed that I would save 1.01 MB of space.

In order to see the Old Windows Updates, I had to select "Cleanup System Files" option on the main screen. Doing that showed 3.2 GB of space taken up by old updates.

BTW, do not neglect to reboot the PC. The cleaning up process takes place AFTER you restart.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'll have to check this out.

7. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I had 1GB of queued reports for the Windows Error Reporting service. :p (mainly from games that had crashed repeatedly)

8. Judas

i'm not seeing it available in vista or windows 7 after force checking for new updates and downloading everything that was available.

9. Dyre Straits

Run it once. If it detects old Updates, you'll then see this...

[​IMG]

You can even go to Advanced and select Shadow Copies.

10. Judas

I skip straight to the clean up system files..

i'll have to check again tomorrow..

I quite often find that sometimes non-activated windows vista/7/8 can take a day or 2 to pick up updates.

11. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I had 2.72GB of those! :D Although, it was some sort of miscalculation as deleting them only gave me around half a gig.

Cleaning up old updates worked well, though, and on a 4 years old installation I regained almost 2.7GB, so my total free space on C: jumped from 5.84GB to 9.01GB. :)

12. Dyre Straits

Aren't you getting Free Space Warnings?!!! :eek:

13. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm not for some reason, probably because it's a fairly small partition of around 50GB, so I've got almost 20% of free space. Also, with My Documents, Desktop and similar folders on another partition and a fixed page file size, there is very little real danger of it overfilling. :)

14. Judas

I think on my 25gb windows partition (which on a fully updated clean install of windows 8 with a few necessary programs installed too sits at about 15GB usaged.. leaving 10gb for free space).... anywho, at 25GB.. my free space has to drop down to sub 500mb before it gives a warning.

(tweak hint..... on desktops I immediately turn of hybrid hibernation which frees up the amount of space equivalent to your ram size... which for me, basically gives me a warning off the bat because I have more than twice as much ram as I do for total primary partition lol)

(tweak hint 2, completely remove/disable Pagefile/Virtual memory swap/Swap file, any machine currently at or exceeding 8gb really has no use for it anyways, at least not likely to consume that much anytime soon, and it's a little easier on an SSD if you happen to have one)