Windows Vista to require kernel drivers to be signed on x64 based systems

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by redsolar, Jan 22, 2006.

1. redsolar

redsolar Off duty

For Windows Vista and later versions of the Windows family of operating systems, kernel-mode software must have a digital signature to load on x64-based computer systems.

Why digital signatures? For both consumer and enterprise users of Windows around the world, protecting personal and corporate data remains a top concern. Microsoft is committed to implementing new ways to help restrict the spread of malicious software. Digital signatures for kernel-mode software are an important way to ensure security on computer systems.

Digital signatures allow the administrator or end user who is installing Windows-based software to know whether a legitimate publisher has provided the software package. When users choose to send Windows Error Reporting data to Microsoft after a fault or other error occurs, Microsoft can analyze the data to know which publishers' software was running on the system at the time of the error. Software publishers can then use the information provided by Microsoft to find and fix problems in their software.

N.B. Microsoft says they won't charge for it, but they require that you have a Class 3 Commercial Software Publisher Certificate from Verisign. This costs $500 [EUR 412] per year, and as the name implies, is only available to commercial entities.

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

ok, now this is going to kill modded/custom drivers

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

not nessaryly...

this doesn't look like it'll happen to home systems..... it looks like it applies to business or corperate systems ....

i mean yes.... we'll see this being required.. but i'm sure there will be a method in which modded sets will still work..

4. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

How will this work with beta drivers then?

5. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

You likely won't be able to install them. It's very lame solution, IMO.

6. coldfrontt

coldfrontt New Member

According to the white paper, there will be a way for the user to turn of the enforcement module, allowing unsigned drivers to be installed. There's always a work-around, otherwise you could not develop and test drivers in the first place.

7. ChrisW

ChrisW New Member

Well, that means no more free third party drivers. Nobody is going to pay the outrageous fee for the digital signiture for free software.

8. rudedog

rudedog New Member

I could see a public key that is shared for free or a very small amount. someone buys a key and setups a community to share this one key, say 10$ to join our community and use our key.

I still think this is very stupid, most problems are not because home or corp users use bad drivers, it's because they keep using outdated drivers.

9. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

Perhaps Microsoft wants us to use Linux instead?

Regards, Partizan

10. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

I dont think this is as big an issue as some are making it out to be. I can't possibly believe they wouldn't allow for this to be turned off by an administrator. If they didn't, I would be death for the OS, or at least a huge drawback (I know I wouldn;t buy it). Lets just see how this one turns out.

11. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Kinda like how people stayed at win 98 till XP came out

(raises hand)