Windows Vista = Windows Me II?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Vikingod, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Hmm an article that is three months old, and they have already released program upgrades, patches, work arounds, and whole new program versions to fix many issues. Plus it seems to me you've never tried Vista yourself. Have you??? You're comparing what you read with possibly no experience w/ the OS yourself to someone who has used it?

2. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy New Member

Finally, some sanity in all of this!

Why the heck should any of us need to upgrade in this way to run an operating system, for gawd's sake? Let alone run any programs!

I upgrade my hardware to make my PC faster at running programs, not so that I can simply run a bloated, DRM-ridden OS. And before anyone trys to claim otherwise, I have legally purchased every single one of the DVDs in my collection.

As much as I like the new GUI of Vista, I think MS has gone too far this time. If only they had resisted the temptation to bend over to accomodate Hollywood, we wouldn't have this bloated OS (which does look nice) consuming unnecessary cycles of our CPUs and graphics cards to run and needing loads more memory than ever simply to get the OS started.

A tighter, cleaner, more secure OS with all of the nice GUI goodness would have been perfect. Instead, we're stuck with this bloated monstrosity (but yeah, it looks good).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  3. Necrosis

Hardware manufactures are playing ball with the MPAA & RIAA too. I haven't had any issues w/ DRM & Vista. I am however not pleased at all with they way they hacked up sound support. However, it remains to be seen whose fault that really is. It sure seems like every one else but Creative is getting their crap together.

4. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

Just wondering, why are you under the impression that DRM has anything to do with general performance?

5. Da_Jewish_Fonzy

Da_Jewish_Fonzy Me>You

If a game came out and the general consensus was that it sucked and it had poor reviews around the web would you go out and buy it? What if I were to say ignore all that and go out and grab a pair of 8800GTX's, then you will see this is a truly great game, would that hardware purchase be justified?

And we're talking about an o\s that costs far more than a game yet performs worse than the o\s I'm already using.

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I find the idea that to fully enjoy Vista and see how faster it is you should get a (for example) quad core cpu and 2+ GBs of RAM. No shit it is going to be fast at something with that hardware. Hell, put those on XP or perhaps 98 (not sure due to compatibility) and you will see great speed too.
    I find it rediculous (like my spelling) that one needs to have such a beefed up PC to run just the OS without many problems.

7. Necrosis

If a movie review says a movie sucks, does it? There have been quite a few movies with poor reviews that have rocked the box office. If Vista were that bad it would be wide spread news, and be uttered by every major technical & non-technical media group there is. What I trust most is those I know personally who's opinion I have learned to value.

Which means I would buy the game IF people I knew liked it. If the hardware upgraded was warranted I would upgrade. However, I'd have to look at my system to see if the upgrade makes any sense. I'm not having any issues with my setup on the right. I didn't need to upgrade to a quad core, and did a recent video card upgrade because I felt like it.

The sad fact about software is the newer it is normally the larger foot print it has. Of course there is some situations where this isn't true (extremely rare though). So you have to go in and tweak the OS to make it run how wish, which gets more complicated with each release. Using your logic we all should still be using 2K since it does everything XP does but w/ less resources. You don't have to upgrade to Vista do you? I don't see Bill Gates twisting your arm making you say "Uncle"!

8. Vampyromaniac

Also an OS that costs nothing at all, to try out for 4 months.

And if the general consensus is that it sucks, why do these people on DH seem to like it?

(For the record, I'm running it on a single-core CPU with 1GB RAM, and no performance problems here.)

9. Necrosis

Matter of fact Blue..Vist runs just as well on my so called "Craptop" which is a 1.8GHz Sempron w/ 1GB of ram, and a 40GB IBM HD w/ no true DX9 support.

10. Da_Jewish_Fonzy

Da_Jewish_Fonzy Me>You

Whats wrong with 2k? And yes Bill Gates is forcing gamers to upgrade, I can't play Halo 2 on xp and I won't be able to play a myriad other dx10 games on xp either. So as a gamer I am being forced to pay for an o\s I have no interest in.

11. Necrosis

Nothing is wrong with 2K...also there is efforts out there man to make DX10 run on XP. Support that and don't buy Vista for as long as possible. If that is what you feel is right then do some thing about it. Besides Halo 2...it shouldn't need DX10 any way, it better have updated graphics to make up for it.

12. Vampyromaniac

Have you read somewhere that DX10 games will run on DX10 hardware only? That no DX10 games will have a DX9 mode, like the DX9 games had a DX8 mode to run on older hardware?

13. Da_Jewish_Fonzy

Da_Jewish_Fonzy Me>You

Yeah I have read that actually. There has already been dx10 and vista only games announced, Halo 2 being one of them. Halo 2 is going to be apart of Microsoft's "games for windows" campaign. Bungie (owned by M$) is calling it, " Halo 2 Vista". Its going to be playable from disc via streaming.

Shadowrun is Vista exclusive. Like Halo 2, its going to use the Games For Windows-LIVE service which will allow pc gamers to play 360 gamers...for a cost. To use Windows LIVE PC gamers are going to have to shell out for a subscription fee just like 360 gamers for LIVE gold or get stuck with silver and not be able to play cross platform. Also LIVE is Vista\360 exclusive, no xp support.

So far Company of Heroes 2 is also Vista exclusive.

How on earth could anyone think this is a good thing? M$ is completely snubbing a huge install base of xp customers. It does nothing but show ms greed.

14. Vampyromaniac

OK, so is this something mandated by Microsoft? That new games (that have DX10) must not also have DX9 code and must not run on XP?

If you could point me toward some good info on this, I'd apreciate it.

15. Da_Jewish_Fonzy

Da_Jewish_Fonzy Me>You

Games For Windows- LIVE is mandated by microsoft. its vista only, its to get gamers to upgrade to vista. Why couldn't microsoft port Halo 2 to xp and do without LIVE for that version? Better yet why cant xp have LIVE? xbox does.
    Halo 2 is microsoft
    Vista is microsoft
    DX10 is microsoft
    XP is microsoft

ummm....

You implied before that games will be playable on both o\s's and I showed you that there are already games coming out that won't. You will obviously think Vista is a good thing regardless of what I say to the contrary so why not just say that?

16. Vampyromaniac

You've misunderstood my last couple of posts then. I am only asking you for info on this topic. I do not know whether or not new DX10 dames will be playable on both OS's.

What I am asking you now is whether you know if Microsoft is forcing developers of all DX10 games to develop them to run only on Vista. If this is the case, then I do have a problem with that, and I think that's an underhanded thing to do.

Do you know the answer to this question? Can you refer me to any websites with more info on this? Google is not being much help....

17. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I'm not the one you're addressing, but, perhaps I can pour a little water on the fire before it gets too hot. :)

Over here.....

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2006/10/04/537826.aspx

Is this statement....

Most games carrying the Games for Windows brand will work great on Windows XP, and will work even better on Windows Vista. Don’t let the branding bar’s look and feel fool ya -- the vast majority of the games that will carry the Games for Windows branding will work on both Windows XP and Windows Vista. However, they are tested and proven to take full advantage of Windows Vista features, such as parental controls, easy install, the games explorer, etc – but don’t think that just because a box has the Games for Windows branding bar on it that you have to have Windows Vista to play it. Those games that require Windows Vista will be very clearly labeled as such (and the only two right now that are Vista-only are Shadowrun and Halo 2 for Windows). Otherwise, the games work great under Windows XP. So even though you really SHOULD upgrade, even if you don’t you’ll still get a lot of great gameplay and tons of fun from games carrying the new brand.

Maybe, maybe not...that will help clear up any misconception. ;)

18. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy New Member

Nothing is for free. Just having these services running on your machine eats up cycles, not to mention that it takes a hell of a lot more for vendors to get their drivers compliant. Did you ever wonder why big companies like NVidia and Creative have had so many problems and taken so long to get their drivers ready?. There's an excellent article about it here:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

19. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

Vampy, I totally wouldn't be suprised if they pull a stunt like that. I remember reading awhile back where M$ pretty much wanted tofully phase xp out (sales wise), maybe they have other plans?

20. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

The only computer of mine where Vista does run very well is a 3200+ with only 512mb of ram & a 7300GS. It is choppy at everything it does.