Windows won't boot after powerloss!

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by totally_tonedef, Sep 22, 2005.

1. totally_tonedef

totally_tonedef New Member

Hey, I'm back...again :(. I am an unlucky man.

Well I was just sitting at my desk working when my foot hit the switch on my powerbar. I went down fliped it back on and my computer started booting up like normal. Gets to the 'Hey idiot you didn't turn off your computer correctly' screen and I tell it to start normally. Then it started loading Windows. About 15 seconds or so into loading my compuer restarts! Now I am 'WTF'ing...so I pop open my computer and check all my connections twice then boot again....samething. So this time I selected to start in safemode and it starts cycling through the list of bootingness and it stops at this 'system32/DRIVERS/agp440.sys'...sits for a second or 2 and then restarts again.

Any ideas what I did to my computer this time??

All help is appreciated a ton!

--Tone

Edit: Great!!! I have recently moved and it seems that my restore disks have not made the move yet! :(...and I am dead sick...and have an exam bright and early tomorrow....this is not good...if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I had almost exactly the same thing happen a very short time ago. The difference was that a breaker tripped and my gaming rig got the same symptoms you're describing.

What I did is described here:

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=83237&highlight=Lucky

If you formatted your HD to NTFS, you may be able to do the same thing....if you have more than one hard drive. Even if you have to install an older HD just for the time being, it won't take that long and you may not lose any data/programs.

Good luck!

4. Yousaif

Yousaif Allergic to WiFi

Before you go too crazy on this one, try shutting off the PC completely using the power button on the front and holding it in for about 5 seconds. After it is shut off, flip the butterfly switch on your power supply to the OFF position and leave it there for about 5-10 minutes. Flip the switch back to the ON position and then try to reboot.

I had the same thing happen recently and this did solve that issue.

G'luck!

5. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

Yousaif's tip is a good one, it will clear the residual power left in the system as capacitors discharge - purging the system ram. Does wonders for my machine when booting fails

6. Dyre Straits

I do hope it works for him. In my case, however, I tried leaving it alone and completely unplugged for about 15 minutes. That's a trick I've used and suggested over and over to others.

However, in my case, there were too many errors on the system drive. Getting it back to where I could run the Disk Check on it was the key.

7. totally_tonedef

totally_tonedef New Member

Thanks be to god I have a smart girl! She had grabbed my restore disks! So I poped it in and did a scandisk found out there was a problem then did a bootfix and walla! It works!

Thanks for the promt responses too guys, really appreciate it :)!

I will try that power tip if it ever happens again :).

8. Dyre Straits

Glad to hear it! I know exactly how you feel. :)

9. DamentZ

DamentZ damentz.dontexist.net

Pull the powercord when its off and hit the power button to try and turn it on, your lights should turn on and off for a split second. Thats how purging works