Windows XP 64 to be OEM only?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 30, 2004.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Rumors that Microsoft's Windows XP 64-bit edition would only be available to original equipment manufacturers may be true. According to the Inquirer, postings on a private Windows server 64 newsgroup by Windows XP 64-bit product manager Brian Marr confirm the rumor. After stating that work on Windows XP 64-bit will resume after Windows XP Service Pack 2 is finalized he adds:

...the operating system will be available on "some" new OEM PCs. "The OEMs are responsible for deciding which systems they want to support it on," he wrote. "The OS will be part of MSDN" and Software Assurance, he continued.

Enthusiasts who are eagerly waiting for a 64-bit version of windows to go along with their spanking new Athlon 64 systems should be able to purchase an OEM version with a piece of hardware, "even a cable." Marr added that Microsoft is working on allowing current Windows XP Professional users to trade for an XP 64-bit license, but it is unknown if there would be a charge for the upgrade. While Marr claims an OEM release may be the "easiest and least expensive way" to get the XP 64-bit edition, many small system integrators may feel left out and enthusiasts could be scurrying around to find a supplier for the new OS.

arstechnica

2. ravid

ravid New Member

what you mean OEM PCs?
    like a motherboard OEM with out the box!?:hmm:

3. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

yep no reetail boxes wich is great couse i'll get it for ubber cheap

no massive retail markups

:cool:

4. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

wasnt this posted a few days ago?

5. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

thats what i was thinking… i remember replying

6. eXtermia

eXtermia New Member

TPF 6 and Management Server released - WINXP 64 ver Avalible

TPF 6 and Management Server released - WINXP 64 ver Avalible

[​IMG]

TPF 6 and TPF 64 released see extended news for 32 bit and 64 bit download urls

Tiny Software releases Tiny Firewall 6.0 and Tiny Firewall Management ServerTiny Software releases Tiny Firewall 6.0 and Tiny Firewall Management Server

Santa Clara, CA - Tiny Software is announcing today two significant releases - the new version of its leading endpoint security product Tiny Firewall 6.0 and long awaited Tiny Firewall Management Server.

Both products are available immediately and will serve as a foundation for more vertical products slated for release in upcoming months.

More information about the new products will be available in separate releases.

What 64 bit platform does TF64 support?

AMD64. No Intel at this point primarily due to uncertain future of their existing 64bit platform.

Is there a difference between 32bit and 64bit TF?

No with the exception that fewer features are available on 64bit platform at this point.
    OLE/COM, Services and System Privileges guards currently work for 32bit applications only on AMD64.

Will TF64 run on 32bit Windows?

No.

When do you intend to relase TF64 for sale?

Once satisfied with the market response.

Tiny Firewall 64 beta:
    File: tf6pro_amd64-6.0.86.exe
    Date: JUN-30-2004 12:38
    Size: 4871400 bytes

Tiny Firewall 64 beta: Release Notes and download link

What's the deal with the upcoming version 6?

All purchases of TPF5.5 made after April 1, 2004 include free upgrade to version 6 once released. If you purchased TPF 5.5 prior this date you may be asked for small upgrade fee if interested in version 6. The upgrade policy will be announced soon.

What is the limitation of trial version?

There is no functional limitation of trial version. The only limit is the time period which is 30 days.

Where can I get the license key?

You can purchase the permanent license to use TPF at our online store (follow up purchase link on top). Your key will be emailed to you within minutes after the purchase. This period may get longer if your credit card was chosen for random check (for your protection!).

How about Win98/ME version?

TPF 5.5 and up does not support Windows 98/ME and there are no plans to support these platforms.

What do I need to do before installing TPF?

Even though TPF is friendly to other firewalls and virus scan software it is always good to limit the presence of other technologies. Especially Symantec engineers do not expect any other software running on the same machine with their Norton AV.

Tiny Firewall 6.0 FAQ

What is the difference between TPF5.5 and TF6.0?

Please read about the diferences at TF6 page once available. Basically the same engine extended with the new functionalities and very similar UI for now. UI will change dramatically with upcoming TF6 builds.

Will my policies from version 5.5 work on 6.0? What can I do to migrate my policies to version 6.0?

No, version 5.5 policies will not work 'as is' on version 6.0. The XML database was extended. There will be a tool in the near future however for now you would have to back up your policies and manually cut and paste appropriate sections.

Because TF6 learning process is not too intrusive we recommend to just install TF64 and let it learn your environment.

Tiny Firewall 6.0 (32bit) release notes and download link

7. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

this is like the 4th time in two days lol

8. eXtermia

eXtermia New Member

what you mean what i said not possible

Tiny Firewall 64 beta:
    File: tf6pro_amd64-6.0.86.exe
    Date: JUN-30-2004 12:38
    Size: 4871400 bytes

seeing how its just now the morning of the first here unless you mean the OEM thing yeah its been posted a lot