Windows XP Power Tips

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 2, 2002.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

well ive been meaning to type some XP tweaks out for a while but havent gotten around to it yet, im sure ive forgotten some and will add others later but here are a few little tweaks to use on your copy of XP.

Please remember to make a backup of your registry before attemping any of these, I dont want any pissed of people complaining they did something wrong and now the pc wont start up. if you are unsure, dont do it.
    to run regedit, start, run, regedit.

1. Turn off Quality of Service (QOS) in Windows XP professional to speed up networking by 20% - but dont turn it off in Networking properties, Choose Start, Run and type gpedit.msc to run the local group policy editor, open computer configuration, administrative templates network, QoS packet scheduler, limit reservable bandwidth. set this to enabled, then take the bandwidth limit from 20% down to 0.

2. if you are on a network, windows XP scans all connected machines for scheduled tasks, slowing down your networking speeds, stop it by deleting the D6277990-4c6a-11cf-8d87-00aa0060f5bf value from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsfot\windows\currentversion\explorer\remotecomputer\namespace\key in the registry and web pages will load more quickly.

3. you can prioritise programs or services fro processor time under system properties, advanced, performance, settings, advanced, processor scheduling. But if you edit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\prioritycontrol\win32priorityseperation in the registry, you can fine tune this further. Try the maximum value of 28 (decimal) or experiment.

4.Run a demanding program with a higher priority, you can change the priority in task manager by right clicking on the process and choosing set priority, or you can use the START/HIGH command in the shortcut that runs the application.

5. Make a text file in notepad with the text START/HIGH "%1" save it as HIGH.BAT in your windows directory, and make a shortcut to it in your send to directory. now you can right click on a any program and use Send to, HIGH.BAT to run it with a high priority.

6. if windows XP takes ages to shut down programs that have crashed while it checks them, you can shorten the delay from the default 5 seconds by changing the registry value hungapptimeout value )in milliseconds) in the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\control Panel\desktop.

7. By default windows XP gives programs 20 seconds to clean up after themselves when you shut down, you can shorten that time by changing the waittokillapptimeout value (in milliseconds) in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\control Panel\ desktop.

8. windows XP also waits for 20 seconds for each service to finish, so if your system takes a long time to shut down, try changing waittokillservicetimeout in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control in the registry

9. get windows XP to automatically shut down applications when you shut windows down, change the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\control panel\desktop\autoendtasks key in the registry to 1.

10. use the bootvis tool to see what takes the most time when your PC starts up and to speed things up, choose trace, optimise system to have bootvis speed up boot times or check if slow drivers or tasks are slowing you down. You can find bootvis at http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/BTV/1.0/WXP/EN-US/BootVis-Tool.exe

11. windows XP collects information about how you use your applications then rearranges your disk every three days to make it more efficient. you can force it to optimise straight away by running bootvis, running the command line disk defragmenter (start, run, defrag C: -b) or by choosing start, run and typing RUNDLL32.EXE ADVAPI32.DLL, PROCESSIDLETASKS to optimise without doing an anaylsis or defrag.

12. the prefetcher collects information about which files loads when applications start, so windows XP can have them ready to go, make it more efficient by changing the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\session manager\memory managment\prefetch parameters registry key from 3 to 5.

13. ultraDMA are your hard drives transferring data at full speed? in device manager, right click on each drive channel, choose properties, advanced settings, transfer mode should be set to DMA if its available.

14. By default windows XP doesnt support ultra DMA 66, if your hard drive and controller use this mode, get faster data transfers by adding the DWORD value enableUDMA66 (with a value of 1) under the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\class\4d36e96a-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318\0000

15. unload dlls, windows XP keeps DLL files in memory after applications have finished using them, in case theyre needed again. That can use lots of memory, try turning the cache off in the registry by changing the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\alwaysunloadDLL

16. get windowsXP to keep the thumbnails it generates for images in my pictures and other folders, and you wont have to wait as they recreated each time you browse the folder, Choose tools, folder options, view and clear the option "do not cache thumbnails."

if you have any to add to this, just post !

2. Greebo_x

Greebo_x Keeper of Obscure Knowledge

A question...

Zardon,

Great list! But I couldn't get tip #5 to work for some reason... Any helpful hints?

3. Lumaan

Lumaan New Member

I maybe wrong, but....

#3. Dont u mean that max is 38, not 28.

And

#12. it's key "EnablePrefetcher" that u need to change from 3 to 5.

And remember to restart the computer.

Lumaan

4. Lumaan

Lumaan New Member

To Greebo_x

The #5. u need to go to \Documents and Settings\xx\SendTo\ and make a shortcut there.

xx = ur login name.

Lumaan

5. Greebo_x

Greebo_x Keeper of Obscure Knowledge

That's what I did...

Lumaan,

Thanks, but I did figure that out and it still wasn't working. I followed his directions very carefully, and had the HIGH.BAT file in the c:\Windows directory (I also tried other variants); the content was ' START/HIGH "%1%" ' (minus the single quotes).

To test it, I tried running a couple of miscellaneous apps that I had installed (one example: ad-aware). I would use explorer to find them in their appropriate sub-directory under c:\program files, then right click and do the "send to". It would error out with a message when I did the "send to", as if the "%1%" was being replaced with a string that included its OWN set of double quotes.
    (In other words, as if the final command line being generated was
    START/HIGH ""C:\program files\lavasoft ad-aware\ad-aware.exe"" ).

I tried variations on the content of the .BAT file with no luck; my guess was the parser that's invoked on "send to" is recognizing that there are imbedded spaces in the file pathname, and returning double quotes around it as a result. I tried leaving out the double quotes in the .bat file, in case it was simply a case of two double quotes in a row canceling out, but then it acted as if nothing happened... I quit at that point 'cause I had other things to do, but will welcome suggestions. If it doesn't generalize to work for cases where the executable's path name includes spaces, I may just forget it...

6. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

There is a program called "atomic XP" that does all of this for you and gives you the option to choose which ones are applied or not applied. I don't remember where I got it, but it sure was useful. I didn't have to apply any of the above tweaks because that program had already done it for me :). Its not really a "tweaker" like tweakxp is... its more of a "convenience tool" because it is intended for a fresh install of xp and just applies the most common tweaks to your xp os (you can always decide not to apply one of the tweaks). I liked the proggy. Very helpful.

7. highpingdrifter

highpingdrifter Truth will set you free

atomic xp is very useful thanks for the heads up,all tweaks needed done in approx 1 minute

8. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

Thanks

Some them tips really helped my system rin better. The only problem is the i cant get gpedit.msc it work.