windows XP Pro Hard Drive Format Problems

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by victor von doom, Jan 3, 2006.

1. victor von doom

victor von doom New Member

Hey,

Having a problem trying to format my hard drive using XP Pro

I go through the XP reboot from the CD Rom

when I got to the screen that shows the partition, then I press "D" to delete the existing partition.

Then I get an error message that goes : "Cannot delete existing partition because it contains temporary setup files that are needed to install Windows."

What the hell?

I'm trying to reformat in order to get rid of some pesky viruses that are stalling my computer. I can't log on to the internet, but I know it's not the modem or my connection because I can get on the internet via wireless with my laptop and can still play Xbox Live.

I need to figure out if its a virus or if it's the Ethernet card that's broken. Personally, I think it's a virus.

I have already backed up all my files and have defragmented the disk to be sure.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

thanks,

DOOM

2. Razgriz

Razgriz Intelligence?

well, have you done a virus scan with up-to-date definitions? If no virus is detected, then try reinstalling your ethernet drivers.

3. victor von doom

yes. but at this point, I want to format the hard drive again - just to be sure. Then I'll test the ethernet part.

thanks

4. kodiak

kodiak New Member

Find out what make drive you have in the PC then go the drive site and get there drive utilities tools and zero fill the drive.

5. victor von doom

hey kodiak,

thanks for the reply - but you're talking greek here - zero fill the drive? As you can already imagine, I'm not much of an tech guy.

I have a Maxtor HD - I went to the website and they have this thing called Powermax - is this what you had in mind?

thanks

6. kodiak

kodiak New Member

Maxblast 4 is what you are looking for and create a cd with it then insert it and start your PC and it will boot to it, set the bios to boot to cd first, it will see your drive and then go to utilities and zero fill.

7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

One thing you might want to try is a CD called "The Ultimate BootCD". This disc includes alot of tools including partition ones like Extended FDISK, and Special FDISK. Also on this disc is the MaxBlast 4 program Kodiak mentioned.

You can check out the list of programs HERE, and download it from the bottom of THIS page. Just burn the image to a CD, and bootup from it. Then, choose your poison, and say goodbye to Windows (and the virus). ;)