Windows XP pro question

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, May 28, 2016.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I found a retail edition of Windows XP Pro with SP3 for sale, good price, but it is the 64bit version.
    Any idea if I can use the key and/or the disc to install a 32bit version with it?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

For xp.... no i've not been able to do that.. they use completely different keys.. since xp is technically 2001.... and windows xp 64bit is technically windows 2003 64bit server in a client form with the windows xp package included.

It would be ideal to have the 64bit version though in many cases since it's about as modern a version of xp as you can get with the most backward compatibility.

3. Trusteft

Have you tried playing 16-32bit games on XP64? Because I have and I tell you, it wasn't pretty.
    Thank you for your reply. You just saved me the money buying the 64bit.

4. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Couldn't you just install Ubuntu?

5. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

That's right... you can't exchange the 64 and 32 bit keys - I tried in the past :)

What about an emulator?

6. Trusteft

How would that help in me wanting to run XP?

7. Trusteft

Thanks.
    Emulator of what?

8. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

If the software that you need can run on Wine then you could get the OS for free and you'd have fewer hardware limitations.

9. Trusteft

Yes but that would mean having to rely on emulation and what it can run. I mean if Wine supports the same percentage of Windows XP and earlier games that Windows XP does, then yes that would be great. But...does it?

10. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

Wine is good, not perfect... but good.

Otherwise there are various emulators that work in windows that might do the trick - what is it that you're looking to run?

If you're not concerned about "extended trials"... they are easy to find and install and would get you going with Windows XP 32bit... if you'd rather pay for the license... then I would have no moral issues buying 64bit but using the extended trial of 32bit to get yourself going... but that's a personal preference :)

11. Judas

in my experience regardless of the bit version of "XP".... anything that worked on windows xp 32bit worked in windows xp 64bit..... there is a reason i have a machine set aside running windows me... Plenty of games and programs simply won't work under windows xp at all period without jumping through the most ridiculous hoops and then still fighting problems.

12. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

I remember compatibility issues with quite a few games between 32 & 64 bit XP... don't ask me what though because it was a longggggg time ago and haven't played with it for anything other than the odd VPN connection for many years.

13. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I definately do recall something similar when I tried the 64-bit version. Also, I had a really hard time with drivers for some hardware, some things I just couldn't get to work even if there were 64-bit drivers avaliable. No, for gaming in XP the only choise is 32-bit.

14. Trusteft

Hmm, damn it.
    Do you know how hard (and expensive) is to find a 32bit version of XP SP3? Ouch!

15. Judas

Tell you what... i could give you a free copy of windows XP Pro 32bit SP3... i think i've 3 or 4 copies just collecting dust. I haven't sold a copy of windows xp since.... er.... i guess after the first 6 months windows vista was out.

Remind me tomorrow when i'm at work....

Trusteft likes this.
  16. Judas

I suppose you technically need the SP3 Pro 32bit ISO + Key.... as i suspected i do have 3x Pro Keys sitting here though... looking back at the last copy i purchased... it was $279.99 CAD... that was 8 years ago when SP3 had JUST launched...

17. Trusteft

Thank you. Yeah I have a disc of SP3 Pro OEM, I assume it would work with a non OEM key. No need to send me one for now. I might need some time to decide what I am going to buy first, if anything.

18. Judas

The keys i have are OEM.... i don't have any of the retail versions since those copies were at the time close to $500 or more CAD. So if you do have the genuine OEM SP3 Pro XP 32bit iso/cd... then these keys will works....

19. Trusteft

Cool, thanks. I am trying to decide if I am going to get one or not. Computer I mean.