Windows XP shutdown hangs

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Junkguy, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Junkguy

Junkguy PC Game Modder

Since yesterday, Windows XP hangs at the "Windows is shutting down" screen (happens every time I shut down). I've tried leaving it there, but it was still stuck even after a half hour. I've been doing cold power-downs everytime this happened. (By the way, I've tried virus scanning and system restore)

It shuts down properly when I use safe mode. Following XP's Help and Support guide, and through trial-and-error, I managed to get it to work by narrowing down the culprit to a few startup services. Currently, only a few services are disabled, and I am quite sure that the offending service is one of them.

Right when I thought everything was fixed and the culprit was found, I scheduled a scandisk ("Check Disk"/"Error Checking") and restarted. This time... it hanged again. WTF.

As I'm writing this, I'm testing some other conditions for successful shutdowns. It seems to work when I restart immediately after the computer is fully finished loading (approximately 10 seconds after it reaches the desktop). However, everytime I restart like that, there is an End Process window for vsmon.exe (a component of ZoneAlarm) and it closes after the progress bar reaches 1/3.

I have tried shutting down ZoneAlarm and ending vsmon.exe immediately after startup, and the shutdown still works.

My theory is that if I allow the computer to fully load (like after many minutes), shutdown may hang. I just tested this theory, and it still shutted down successfully...

So what's going on? Ever since it hanged after I scheduled a scandisk, it has worked under every condition I have tried. Probably it was caused by the scandisk? If I have already disabled the offending startup service, why would using scandisk still cause shutdown to hang? Maybe... theres more than one culprit?

Any ideas?

2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

3. Junkguy

Junkguy PC Game Modder

Thanks for the links. It's ok, I think I've got it under control now.

4. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

No problem.