Windows XP SP1 Release Date On Track

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Shaunboyland, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Shaunboyland

Shaunboyland New Member

Brad Smith, Microsoft's senior vice president and general counsel, said that the company is on track to ship SP1 this summer and later noted that the release will ship on or after August 28. XP SP1 includes a UI change that lets end users and PC makers hide access to five key middleware components:

<ul><li>Internet Explorer.
    <li>Outlook Express
    <li>Windows Media Player.
    <li>Windows Messenger.
    <li>Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine.</ul>

Based on feedback from beta testers, PC makers, and the DOJ, Microsoft will make additional changes to XP SP1 to make the product's middleware-hiding feature "even more clear to users."

2. skastel

skastel Massive Happiness

eh?

what does this mean?

3. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

It hides all the shortcuts for the five programs listed. Pointless if you ask me.

4. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

I think it's about the fact you don't have to use those programs, but MS promote them, monopolising the OS, they had problems when they tried to incorporate IE into Windows because it put Netscape at a disadvantage,

5. FatalDog187

FatalDog187 Messenger Friend

Well, does Honda give people the option to use Ford parts?? I'm serious, MS should be able to put whatever they want into windows and do it how they want, if u dont like it, dont use it.

No one is forcing you to use windows...

6. SilentSnipeR

SilentSnipeR New Member

netscape should make there own OS ;) . Anyway, I suppose this is all good. It means there shouldn't be many more leaked builds :D

7. Shaith

Shaith New Member

Re:

Oh, you have GOT to be joking.

America Online owns Netscape. You're suggesting they make an operating system? We already have an operating system expressly written for morons (it's called Os(u)X) - and a book written to teach morons how to use it (bang two rocks together, grunt loudly, scratch your balls, then click your 1-button-mouse. Good boy! Now click it again! Good boy!)

I can hear it now...

"You've got files!"

"You've got a virus!"

"You've got no space left!"

"You've got junkmail!"

"You've got a new folder!"

"You sent a fax!"

"You are a pirate!"

"Thank you for contacting technical support. The current hold time is approximately 789043271895031247894063718905784301578013264312658794317895032178490321758904137589021532718904312789504317890453127859012378450312758901435890123578905431 minutes. Please wait...one of our representatives will be with you shortly. Did you know that..."

No thanks. If that's going to happen, find me a handy EMP, please. Stone age, here we come.

8. mr  pinky

mr pinky New Member

win xp sp1 1089= rc1 or not ?

just curious ;)

9. The_Sire

The_Sire New Member

there might be no good way to say this but you have to admit that aol is good in protection and making of their software. look how many programs can you actually use with their software thier security team and programmers are very good, no intergration with out aols permission and integrading it themselves. not saying that its all that good of software i mean it does eat up memory at a bunch, im just saying not sticking up for them i for one used to work for time warner roadrunner so i know how much they really are junk lol

but if they did make thier one "OS" for computers youd deffinatly have to have 4 gig of ram just to boot lol :D

10. GigaRoc

GigaRoc New Member

11. snoz_woz

snoz_woz New Member

ms monopolise with un-documented api's

The problem with MS, not that they include all these apps in the OS, it is that there apps work really well in windows, very fast, very functional. Because of this they have monopoly, why install netscape when MS ie is better. (saying that ns 7 is getting there). The reason for this, they use un-documented API's, in other words they use features of the operating system that make there apps work much more efficiently, and why don't other companies use them, because MS don't document these features giving them an unfair advantage. That's my opinion.

12. FatalDog187

FatalDog187 Messenger Friend

Re: ms monopolise with un-documented api's

Ok, so Honda should tell Ford how to construct a Hybrid vehicle, just so it can be fair?!

MS made windows so why SHOULDNT they be able to use it to their advantage? It's all about competition, it's not like MS is doing anything illegal [I don't see how some people act like they are].

It's not like they're blocking all non-ms programs from running.

13. Raider1

Raider1 There is always next year

Re:

arrr me matey ur a true swahs buckler yee self ! :D

14. Qba73

Qba73 Bench This

Re:

i totally agree, its there OS. if netscape made an os they would put there browser in too, they jus mad cause they cannot compete. its not a monoploy its jus smart business. though MS should bring there prices down. jumping from charging 80 to 300 just asks to be pirated.
    MS jus has the resources to have an all in one package. nobody forces you to use ie, now if ms wouldnt allow netscape to be installed that would be an anitrust issue. Netscape are a bunch of crybabies cause there pockets are not getting fatter like in the early 90's oh well.