Wireless not Turning on After New Card

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by neezee, Oct 24, 2009.

1. neezee

neezee New Member

hey, i have a DV2000 (DV2020CA) and i noticed the wireless was not so good (ie weakest signal strengths), a quick google and i found out the issue was the card... so i pulled one out of my ASUS F3SV (WM3945ABG) and i put it in THANKFULLY, there was no 104 error, but i cant turn the wireless on anymore. the actual physical switch that turns on the wireless doesn't turn blue it just stays orange... would i have to cover one of the pins? Mini PCI Express Bus Description; MiniCard Interface for the Laptop PC any ideas? thanks

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Does it show up in Device Manager?

The thing is that it may not work at all. I've seen this with some manufacturers where they will hard code it in the bios and/or the cards firmware so that only wireless cards with their manufacturers ID will work. Dell and Toshiba, for instance, have this on some laptops of theirs, and they will not accept any wireless card except ones sold by them for the laptops, or ones from them directly.

3. neezee

neezee New Member

doesnt even show up... i guess i have to mod the bios but ive yet to figure out where the vendor/device ids are at... thanks

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Look for things like HP bios whitelist, HP DV2000 whitelist, or bios whitelisting. You should find a ton of stuff about it, maybe even some links to whitelisted bioses. I know they exist as I've done them a couple times, only not for any of the DV2000 series.

The only other way is to alter the bios yourself, but it can be a rather complicated process from what I've read.

Oh, you'll be a needing a hex editor for part of the hack, and if you don't have one give Cygnus a try from HERE.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  5. neezee

neezee New Member

yea i was looking into bios modding first when i had the Gigabyte GN-WI01GT, but i couldnt figure out where the dev/ven ids were in the bios so i gave up after 30mins, and just put the gigabyte card in my asus and here we are now... but im just gonna sell the DV2000 and hopefully get a netbook... thanks for all your help/input

6. CitySlicker

CitySlicker Banned

nice tip here - did not know those OEMs are going this far...to nail people to their brand.