Wireless Speed Issue!

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Warpy, May 26, 2007.

1. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

Greetings,

Has anyone come across this before: I'm sending a file across my network at home and the transfer speed is so slow! Its taking over 200mins just to send a 1GB file. Could it be the encryption on the network as It's set to WEP 128bit, using Shared Key for Authentication. The network is wireless 11mbit and I have full signal strength.

I have manually set the duplex on the PC which isn't connected via wireless to 100MBPS FULL Duplex which I hope is right?

The Wireless router has authentication set to "Open" instead of "Shared" and I'm still getting very slow data transfer between he two PC's.

The wireless laptop will download from he net at 400kb/sec which is good for my connection, when sending the files between the two computers I am not downloading from the net though :)

My problem is exactly the same as this guys here: Slow network transfer

Do I need netBIOS, I just have the following in my network properties on the PC.

TCIP
    LINK Layer Topology Discover ( Got no idea what this is).
    File and Print
    Client for MS Networks

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

3. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

Ok thanks :)

Still can't wotk this one out, I know its something simple as I've nailed it along time ago.

4. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

I believe you need NetBIOS to resolve the machine names on the internal network... i.e. when I type in AthlonXP it resolves that to my machine at 192.168.0.5 or whatever. Whenever I turn it off I lose that capability, so that's what I'm going on there

5. Prospero424

Prospero424 New Member

Try out the program TeraCopy and:

1. See if it speeds up transfers.

2. Tell as the true average transfer speed.

You don't have to keep it. Just use it to test performance if you want.

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

What wireless type is your router setup for? Mixed mode b/g, or g only? Do you have any speed boosters enabled on the router, or are you running the router in an extended range mode? Have you tried moving the computers closer together? Also, have you tried running the computers in AdHoc mode, and transfer files between them directly rather than via the router?

I usually recommend to people that if all your wireless cards in their place supports g then they should disable support for mixed mode, and set it to g only as this can help with speed and connection issues.

Also, never go by what the connected rate your wireless card is reporting in the taskbar. It may say "connected @ 54", but it may not be constant. I've seen connections drop to as little as 11mbps, then up to 45, stabilize at 39, but that little taskbar icon still showed that it was connected at 54mpbs. This is where distance can come into effect. The closer you are to the router, the stronger the connection... at least that's what we hope.

7. Yousaif

Yousaif Allergic to WiFi

He said in his original post that the wireless is 11mbps, so I would imagine that it is an old B router. If that was mine, I would be buying a new router.

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Missed that, but still, the same troubleshooting rules apply no matter what speed of the cards are. 11mbps or 54mbps, they all run at 2.4Ghz.

That reminds me, to add to the earlier post, it might be worth while to try a different channel as well, say either channel 3 or 11. If you have any other wireless devices in the house they may be dipping into the range that you are connected at, and causing connection issues. Even though it may not solve the problem, changing to a higher channel can help to reduce this, as well as help you figure out if you are indeed getting interference from somewhere that is causing your problems.