World emerging from deep slump but can it last?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 22, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Interesting read I thought

WASHINGTON - Turnabouts in European and Asian economies, along with recent gains in the U.S., are raising hopes that that the worldwide recession is drawing to a close. That's not to say the coast is clear.

The brightening outlook in Europe and Asia and the improvement in U.S. credit markets and indicators reflect heavy government stimulus spending. Many analysts question whether the top economies can sustain recoveries after stimulus measures and easy-credit policies have run their course-and in the absence of significant new consumer spending, especially among Americans.

"It's not clear that these economies can continue to move forward without stimulus," said Mark Zandi, chief economist for Moody's Economy.com. "And that's in part why stock markets across the globe are nervous."

It will be difficult for other countries to pull out of recession until the U.S., still one quarter of the world economy, starts growing, he said.

After a frightening free-fall across Europe in late 2008, France and Germany, the continent's two largest economies, reported recently that they had grown slightly in the second quarter of 2009. Other major European countries reported they were still struggling, but with generally improved figures over late 2008 and earlier this year.

China, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and South Korea have also reported rebounds as government stimulus efforts across the globe have begun to show results.

Russia, among the hardest hit of major economies as oil prices slumped and many foreign investors fled the country, appeared to be stabilizing.

Meanwhile, in the United States, the Federal Reserve said the world's largest economy appeared to be "leveling out" and many economists see a second-half rebound.

It all adds up to an improving picture ahead of an economic summit next month in Pittsburgh of the world's top 20 industrial and developing economies.

It is the third such meeting of all the major economic players, after one convened by former President George W. Bush in November in Washington, and one held earlier this year in London. It is the first to be held recently as economies appear to be improving.

World emerging from deep slump but can it last? - NewsFlash - NJ.com

2. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

I can't feel any economic improvementsas a consumer , the prices just go up every day . Is it just me who see the situation like this ?

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

You are supposed to forget prices used to be lower..... you need more distractions

4. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

i don't believe they'll drop back to where they were before, at least not for some time.

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I doubt that it will land me a job, so, I don't care as much as I could.
    Good for those that don't lose their jobs though.

6. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

a chicken in every pot and forty acres and a mule...I am happy.
    the world economy will go up and down and China and India will be the new economic powerhouses along with America...
    for it is written......

7. Trusteft

Falstaff, any idea when there Earth will be united?

8. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

the thing is Germany and France have been in recession for near enough 5 years and their economies have basically bottomed out .... whereas the UK have been in recession for the past 2 years ... going by the franco german timescale we could be in recession for the next 3 years, rising unemployment in the uk and USA makes me think it could be a couple of years before we see any improvements

9. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I dont see a united world ever.
    economically maybe.
    poltically no
    racially? we all are whether we admit it or not.
    we are one world, we just need to get used to the idea of us instead of we
    others instead of just me
    responsibilty instead of free
    understand instead of just to see
    freedom then as it was meant to be

We are headed for a big event soon, the world must be prepared for a larger conflict, whether it is on the battlefield or in our homes, we are being transformed by the very thing we strive for.
    It will be one world when we stop bombing the shit out of each other.
    It will be one world when stop mortgaging the future of our children for a quick dollar.
    It will be one world when we think of the whole and not the part
    believe with our minds and with our heart.
    And it all begins with our children.
    Even if we fuck it all up, if we teach our children that they can build a better world on the ruins or foundations of ours and improve our lot, I believe we will survive ourselves and prosper.
    or we will fade like a blue star in the heavens and maybe God will pack up his kit this time and give some other world a chance.

(just my mind working during the DJ dance mix)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  10. @/2ct!<

@/2ct!< New Member

Hope so, trying start first real career out of college but interviews are few and far between...

11. Trusteft

A friend of mine with a law degree and masters, worked for 7 years in the UK. Got married and wife wanted the kid raised back in Greece. Six months and he had one interview. If I find a job this year I will donate half my first salary to, I don't know, somewhere. By that I mean, it is very difficult to find a job here unless you have a relative or "relative" to place you somewhere...
    That's ok, I guess that's why lotto exists.

12. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I was out of reguler work in 2003 for nine months, I took several temporary jobs including working at a hosptial too. I accepted a layoff until things got better because I knew that when they finished the new hosptial they would hire me back, which they did.
    Working there I learned about hooking laptops to wheelchairs, working with medical software and about networks too. It was a valuable experience but definitely didnt pay enough to survive on.
    I am very fortunate now to have worked on this job for five years though.

13. Trusteft

The thing is, here in Greece if you are late 20s early 30s and not in a career, you are as good as finished for many. For most you are too old too. Way different mentality than in the USA or Canada, or even UK.

14. FFVII - Cloud

FFVII - Cloud Banned

Stop spending money live on absolutely nothing. Do drugs. Don't watch TV. Have an mp3 player as your friend. Then jump off a local bridge into oncoming ships. That will show the economy who's boss.... lol

15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

16. Trusteft

Is that Jesus talk, Cloud version?

17. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

boy, am i glad i know absolutely nothing about economy... LOL :D