World of Tanks’ PS4 userbase swells to one million in five days

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Calliers, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I can't comprehend the attraction to this game.... let alone the the numerous others.... like candy crush....

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I haven't played the PS4 edition, but I have played the PC version, well over 40000 battles so far. Yes it is addictive. I am finding myself slowing down recently, to just 20 or so battles per day. Will see.

4. Judas

I've noticed that people that play moba's or general games specially multiplayer complain if a game is taking more than 15 minutes per zone.. What is everyone's hurry? Even for counterstrike games.... each "round" usually is 5 minutes give or take depending on the server settings, but a single map/zone being played usually goes for at least what... 30 minutes to an hour giving each side several changes to win a round.

Having played some moba's... almost all of the people seemed to be convinced that the faster.. the better..... why? Can no one enjoy a game where progress takes work and time to get anywhere rather than just making it so that everything so easily winnable? I see so many times where one side or the other just happens to get a lucky shot in and it ends up winning the entire game... This doesn't remotely seem right, and why anyone would want to play a game like that is beyond me, go play a VLT...

One of the things i loved about for example Unreal Tournament.. specially for the onslaught or assault modes. In 2004's onslaught... getting and maintaining objective points didn't come easy.... and even if a team looked like they were totally screwed... there was still significant potentially to turn it around.

A game could last an hour for a single round.... longer if the teams are evenly matched... and it was bloody fun as hell.

Now with most games, it seems all the fun has been wringed out of it... people are playing strictly to win with a total disregard for fun... And when there is a mild amount of progress made for one team against the other, instead of it becoming more difficult for that winning team to progress, it's like the end game is handed to them on a platter and the opposing teams have little to no hope of pushing back.

Example being Dota or LoL in which you'll see the fighting over the center takes awhile.. but that's mostly due to the fact that you start out low level and little to no items.... But once those towers drop, and a little progress is made to the opposing cores.... it's exponetially increases and suddenly the game is over with, and less effort is arguably made at the end than at the start.

5. Trusteft

I don't know, I have never played a MOBA or planning on doing so.

6. Judas

i was using a moba as an example.... i've been scouring a lot of forums regarding a lot of different games.... and a common thing i've noticed is that there are a lot of people demanding or wanting or rather complaining that a range of games are "taking to long to win"... when boiled down. "It shouldn't take 30 minutes for a team to win" is a statement that seems absurd.

The thing is... that there are enough people demanding this... and with moba's having such a esport following, that other game developers and such are trying to mimic and adhere to these wants/demands...

7. Calliers

In League of Legends an average game is 45 minutes, it even tells you before you play so I really don't know what you're on about Judas. Early game, Mid game and Late game are all very important in League of Legends, how you perform as a team in all of them will determine whether you win or lose. Although sometimes you get creamed and end up losing 20 minutes in. Also neither team is allowed to surrender until at least 20 minutes has gone by.

8. Judas

I know the "expected" length of time is 45 minutes... you weren't reading what i had mentioned... the demand for "faster" games seems to be climbing... with people wanting things to go "faster"...

End games i've played in dota and lol (though briefly) always seem to happen rapidly.... it snowballs.

9. Calliers

You should play for a while and climb to Silver, Bronze V and low elo normal games are full of people who don't understand the game. Granted you'll be in elo hell for a while, but hey, you've got to start somewhere.

10. Trusteft

I never heard anyone complaining the 15min of WoT as too long or too short.
    Just saying.
    I used to play C&C Renegade online, thousands and thousands of games, more than WoT. There the time could be customized by the server. IIRC the average time was either 15 20 or 30 min. Usually the more pro players, the shorter the duration. Just because the game would end much sooner anyway.

Calliers likes this.
  11. Calliers

C&C Renegade was such a sweet game. Sadly I never did play it online.

Trusteft, why do you never play online games these days? Just curious.

12. Trusteft

I do play world of tanks. Other than that, there is no game that interests me online. There are no more new RTS games worth mentioning and the FPS games out there are either money grabbing POS, or just plain old boring to me. I played online all sort of FPS games over my life, Quake series, UT, Renegade, various zombie games (l4d etc) and several other. Also games like Eve online, Guild Wars, etc etc etc. There is just nothing I find interesting any more. Either because of setting, implementation or because the game just does anything it can to ruin the experience with trying to push DLC etc. Plus, you know, I have "killed" millions of other humans online over the decades. I have had enough.

Then it is the whole thing of never actually having the feeling of achieving anything other than one more step (level/unlock) and then repeat the whole process of grinding. It's like Sisyphus for the online gaming. I don't want to unlock anything, I don't want to level up, I don't want to have to try to enjoy a game till there are cheats for it which ruin the whole thing even further.

I prefer the single player games, whenever I feel like I can play it without relying on a server to be online, an internet connection to be good, not having to buy DLC, other humans to want to play the game at the same time, cheaters to not want to cheat, and having 12yos cursing like there is no tomorrow.

Not everything has to be a competition, including gaming.

13. Calliers

Well, there's CoD Black Ops 3. You can mute people who are a nuisance (I routinely do), you don't have to buy the DLC if you don't want to to play it as there is a lot of core content offered (both single and multiplayer, the single player can even be played with up to 4 people online or local), everything cosmetic you get by paying for you can get by just earning cryptokeys (the games currency, points are the paid for currency, 10 cryptokeys for a regular supply drop which doesn't have a high chance of rare, legendary or epic stuff, 30 cryptokeys for a rare supply drop which does), trophies on the PS4 or achievements on the Xbox One which you can keep forever to show you've achieved stuff in the game and which should add to you feeling like you've done something and earned something, bragging rights, you can run on walls, power slide and power jump with the help of thrusters on your back which makes for some really engrossing gameplay, I don't see what's not to love. At least try it, it is unlike any other FPS game I've played since, it is FPS gaming totally re-imagined.

14. Trusteft

I have already ordered it days ago for the PS4. Waiting for it to arrive. But only for single player. It looks like a solid single player game and has zombies in single player, so cool.

15. Calliers

Right you are, most of the trophies you earn aren't even for multiplayer, I think about 80% of the trophies relate to single player only, with only like three or four for multiplayer and the rest for zombies.

16. Judas

I can't stand the "card collection"... achievements and trophies. DLCs are bloody irritating.... paying real money for in game currency is insanity... only to buy things that either unlock later on through playing... which IMO shouldn't be game breaking or hugely advantageous for any other player that get its.... bloody "i win buttons" everywhere.

Can't stand the overwhelming insistance on "competition and speed" over gameplay and fun.. "Fun.. what is this fun... winning is fun... losing is not fun".... losing is fun if you had fun... a lot of people don't understand this.

17. Calliers

First off nothing you can buy in CoD Black Ops III with real money will help you win. It's just cosmetic stuff. Whether you want to take your time and grind and get stuff or take the faster route is up to you.

Secondly I have fun even if I lose. I know what you mean about people being too competitive but not everyone is like that. And even if other people spoil their fun by feeling like crap if they lose why should -you- care? Like I mean really, it's about you and your game, not anyone else's. Why does it bother you so much if someone else is not having fun? Do you turn on your mic and go, hey player a, did you have fun, what about you player b? And if one of your team mates says they didn't have fun then this affects you? I don't understand your logic Judas, really.

18. Judas

I wasn't specifying CoD as having the ability to buy an I win button.... i'm talking about various games that deal with micro/macro and dlcs of various kinds that have in game purchases that significantly alter the way people can play vs other players. "Taking the faster route" imo is bullshit ... by just paying to have it all rather than playing the damn game to get it.

IT effects me directly because while i may be attempting to have fun, the others players tend to either get insanely upset and ignore me or go out of their way to make certain even a fellow team mate is unable to have fun. Getting harassed for no reason at all, even if and i'm usually not, the cause of the problem in the first place, other people have a tendency to start biting others heads off, and will go out of their way to make other team mates or players that are doing well, miserable just so that their misery has it's company. I usually do pretty good by ignoring this, but i know full well what they are doing, and it's sad that i occasionally enjoy making the game fun again by fueling their stupidity.

I've been called a lot of things... booted out of groups/games of all sorts.. simply because I didn't conform to their "Gotta win or else" mentality, which after a number of games, gets rather boring and directly effects my ability to play a game the requires other players if all of them get fed up for no apparent reason.

Now initially i thought it was because i sucked... but going by end game statistics... that wasn't the case. Lets take LoL for example just because we are both very familiar with the game mechanics for the most part and how the community can be.

My play style.. has always been a defensive type, I will play it safe in offensive conditions and usually won't go for a kill unless i'm near 100% certain i can manage it and still walk away without having to worry, while also considering the potential for any engagement to suddenly be very much against me.... The benefit of this, is usually consistency, zero feeding and well, pretty good coin being made over time vs other players that play is ruthless and careless in going all out offensive and dying essentially feeding the enemies, obviously better players wouldn't do this that often.. but it happens, that's the downfall of playing in an offensive manner... which is fair, i have no problems with.

Being defensive, i also build slowly, so getting items and powering up may not happen as quickly because i hold out... however when i do buy or get anything, it's a significant day vs night kind of change, the result of which is pretty significant... and as time goes on, in the same time span and resources that other players have expended, i'll have jump way ahead of them in terms of power/powerups and being a force to be reckoned with.

At the end of the game, EVEN if we end up losing.... my death count is usually either 0 or extremely close to zero.. so i can't be blamed for feeding..... my assists are usually the highest of them all, because i don't play to always get the last hit when it comes to killing enemies, i simply don't care, because when it comes down to it... a split second in which the 2nd last shot hitting a bad guy followed by the killing blow from another.... waiting a little while longer could be a death dealing blow done by the enemy to a team mate or even myself...

My kills are usually about average.... if the game happens to drag on though longer than average... my kills usually climb to almost stupid levels because i've essentially gotten the best of the best in items and killing hero's is easier than swatting the minions whe nthe game first starts.

I try to work with the group... do my best to assist and try not to overstep, specially considering my lack of play time to others... and yet on occasions when i do happen to listen in (usually don't because it's usually counter productive, there's usually always ONE that's bitching and moaning about something no matter what's happening)... because my play style is apparently COMPLETELY unorthodox, there's usually discussions being held about how stupid i am and why the fuck i'm doing certain things.. "wtf is this guy doing, he hasn't bought a single item and is a useless hitter... why does he bother"... and then later down the road... when i'm wiping the floor... "wtf, this guy must be a cheater... blah blah blah..."

IF we are losing regardless of how far along i've got More often than not it's easiest to blame me apparently because of my play style...

I'm sorry, but these things tend to suck the living life out of what "fun" it is when they are so overly consumed by making sure they are winning... even within their own team ranks... that it directly effects my ability to play specially if a few of them make a point of stealing kills intentionally, even if it means they are jeopardizing the chance of winning.... it's contradictory and hypocritical really.

So what do i do? Play on... kinda hard when gorilla tactics are being implemented to make it harder to play... or you're getting booted from being able to play because they call you a botter or a cheater or newb.

Everyone seems to be in a massive rush to complete a game.. win it... as fast as possible. And in doing so, if they can't do it.. they'll point the finger at anyone else, and so because i couldn't give a flying fuck if i win or lose, i'm concentrating on playing for fun... it's automatically my fault regardless of it actually being that case. I'll admit full well if it's mine... i've made the mistake of screwing up... it happens... sometimes out of my control... bad luck whatever... (running through the jungle to try and help a team mate out only to get ganked by 3 enemies that no one thought were there for example).

19. Calliers

From the way you describe how you play, you still need to learn a lot. Putting wards down and not going into fog of war unless you have vision for example, of course putting wards down is a team effort although you won't see a lot of people placing wards (even if they're free now) in low elo. You should play lots of ranked games, and probably stick to them because even though people are more competitive there, they usually don't flame as much silver up. Once you get to silver things improve, you get less trolls and flamers. As well as afkers and noobs. For example I played a game today and there was this Zilean supporting me who would not only steal my farm, but he basically would steal my kills too and then proceed to feed himself to the enemy. (And as you know if you have kills you are worth more gold to the enemy once you have kills so he was basically just griefing). The reporting mechanism is better these days too, so don't forget to report people as much as possible so the bad players are weeded out slowly but surely. They usually improve their behavior over time because bans get longer if they persist and they miss out on cool stuff like icons and maybe even skins that are given out at the end of the season for good sportsmanship.

Also instead of flaming the flamers, try saying things like "come on guys, stop flaming", I do all the time and sometimes it works wonders. You have to remember that a lot of the people playing the game are very young.

And as for games that you can pay to win, EA's FIFA 16 for example is an example. You can buy really good players for real money and have an advantage over other players online. So there I do see your point.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  20. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I've gone off World of Tanks and more into War Thunder. I was never good at flying the planes, but the tank battles are fun, and much more 'realistic' than reducing health to zero. 1 well placed shot and a tank is destroyed, be it be disabling the crew, or blowing up the ammo. Destroying tracks/turret etc is also more believable. Had much fun with it, but alas, my internet connection atm is not good to do anything other than surfing the web.