Worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Sandok, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Okay, I'm sorta angry with my comp cuz it's startin to get crappy and I'd like to replace my 9800 Pro 128mb with either a X800 XT or a Geforce 6800 Ultra... Now is this worth it or should I wait a year? And should I buy a better Intel processor than my 3GHZ one or again, shall I wait 365days?! Cuz I can either buy it now or then... Maybe better stuff (actually surely) will be out in a year... And I'm still patient enough :sleep:

2. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

well if you want you can A: Buy one now and have a good comp, wait a good year for pci x and 64 bit OS, so everything can be used to the full ability... or B you can save up for that year and use what you saved up and be able to buy all that buy maybe higher quality... those are the 2 options i set forth

3. Sandok

Sandok New Member

well if I buy this year, It's just a new card... (not rich enough :tears: ) but if I wait till next year, I can buy a new proccessor and a new card... Plus, if I really need it a new mobo but I'm not much into PCI-Express yet... (not that interesting to me from what I read).... But I was thinking, next year maybe a P5 will be out and the R500 or NV50... I can wait, no biggie but is it smarter?

4. sonax2k

sonax2k New Member

I think you sould wait for the R500 or NV50 series, although X800XT & 6800 are very attractive, but you might be able to use the same price to buy R500 or NV50 series video cards.

I don't think PCI-Express is ready enough to handle the power, afterall it was released not too long ago, and the motherboard w/PCI-Express are kinda expensive too. I bought a X600XT card, but didn't realize a new mobo w/pci-express will cost from 130~150.. no $$ :confused:

Your 3Ghz cpu should be power enough to handle most of the things now, buying a CPU that's only a bit better is not that worth it, you should wait until when the 64bits CPU dominate the market, then go get a brand new CPU :D

5. technonerd

technonerd New Member

9800pro and 3.0 Hz is very fast enough. I rather Wait for next Gen video card and Until the motherboard with PCI-X price go down.

Maybe try to reformat the HD and reinstall, it might go fast again, also add some ram up to 1 gig :p

All I'm saying hold on and wait for a while just like sonax2k said. Start saving your money, then maybe next year you get better stuff, etc intel have better 64bit cpu and better Ati Video card that have ps3.0.

6. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Sandok,

I'd wait...

If you purchase an upgrade now it'll be AGP. Your 3.0Ghz processor and 9800pro will still run everything coming down the pipe for the next year at 1024x768 with eye candy up. Plus, you can overclock if you aren't already...

Also, the X800 is performance limited by all available CPUs today on the motherboards available today - for the X800 to perform at its best it needs PCI Express after that buss has matured a bit. I'd say go for the X800 purchase today if you could transfer the video card to the new system a year from now, but you can't. And yes, another generation card will come in the next year that will do more and better than the X800 for the same (or lesser?) price.

You can wait and get the massive upgrade all at once and still enjoy everything coming for the next year if you crank the resolution down just a notch or so...

7. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Okay, thanks alots guys for you point of view! I guess I will wait and spend 2000 bucks next year and upgrade more than just the card... And my PC is running fine, it's just that I'd like higher resos in Far Cry for example with AA and AF but I'm just being stupid now aren't I?

PS: I got more than enough ram technonerd! I got 2048 RAM (DDR400) so I'm set in that domain right?

8. sonax2k

sonax2k New Member

absolutely! that's actually more than enough :D
    2G of ram, that's just wonderful.

9. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I'll throw something in the mix..why not a 6800 GT? It would be a nice upgrade from your 98KPro plus have better OpenGL support. It wouldn't be that much cash (kinda), and you could sell your 9800 to help cover the cost. You'd have a mean setup until next year.

10. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Yeah that would be a good boost too! But I'd like to really get a monster system and I've got only 800$ to spend. Next year though I'll have over 1200$ and I was really wondering if I should get a HUGE system update (sound card, mobo, processor,vid card) or should I instead get a few small updates (like you mentioned, a new 3d card like the 6800 GT (though it is very rare in this stupid country) and stuff)....

PS: Half of my RAM was free :evil:

11. gibbon565

gibbon565 Bouncy BOUNCY!

I think your system is more than fast enough :) ... if anything you should clock up that cpu, graphics card and just keep the money. I cant see any game needing more than those specs for a while.

12. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Thx for the answer (I though this post was dead years ago :dead: ) Anyways, I'll be happy as long as I get a 30fps+ games for a year to come... Then I'm changing my PC cuz by then, I'll be starting to show some age.... Thx for the answers! :D