Would a 240 MB/s DRAM-less SSD for my ps4 still outperform the stock HDD 100 MB/s?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Tr4405, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Tr4405

Tr4405 New Member

Basically I have a SSD for my Ps4 which has a max speed of 520 MB/s. I saw a review where someone put it in a MacBook Pro and got 240 MB/s since it is locked to SATA II speeds. The PS4 is also locked to SATA II speeds so would I still get the same speeds as the MacBook Pro? I also heard that DRAM-less SSDs can run slower under random reads and I play mainly open world games(mostly RDR2) and that has to go to the drive a lot to load in assets. Would it still be faster than the 100 MB/s regardless of the lack of DRAM?

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Random access speed should be better on an SSD, no matter what SSD.
    What you need to be worried is how much filled you have the SSD.
    Have at least 20% free and you should be OK.
    BUT, you need to remember that all PS4 games were made with HDD in mind.
    If speeds is what you are after, you might get them, but they won't be that much better than a good HDD.
    Will you notice them? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

I recently decided to go for an SSD upgrade on my PS3 and PS4, but mostly for longevity reasons, not so much speed.
    I haven't actually installed the PS3 SSD yet as I keep being lazy about it.
    I haven't bought the PS4 SSD yet, more or less for the same reasons.

Anyway, the SSD should easily surpass the 100MB/s speeds, if it can, just don't expect much in terms of real world performance difference.
    That's my view on it.
    Hardly an expert.

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

If I remember my specs right there are 3 caveats to the PS4 (non Pro) throughput: the processor, the SATA controller, and the stock hard drive. The processor speed affects transfer speeds, while the PS4 SATA connection tops out at 300MB/s as the console uses SATAII. To top that off, the stock drive is a 5400RPM drive.

Regardless of what SSD you buy you'll be topped out at 300MB/s, so the choice is yours as far as drives go (i.e. even slower SSDs), while the other option is going with a 7200RPM mechanical drive. Caveat there is that prices for 1TB SSDs are, sometimes, cheaper than 1TB 7200RPM 2.5" hard drives.

As Trusteft eluded to, performance is hit or miss. Some games load only a fraction faster on an SSD (were talking 3 seconds faster), while some might load up to 7 or 10 seconds faster than the stock drive. In my experience, the most drastic increase is initial game loading. That's usually where the wider speed gap is. Once at game is up and running, that's where the marginal increases kick in.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Having ran a PS4 and PS4 Pro and Samsung 850/860 Pro sata SSDs in either and side by side comparisons. Pretty much any of the top of the line 2.5" HDD is noticably slower and start times/load times. A Seagate SSHD narrows that down a fair bit due to it's hybrid design, but the ssd still out performs the other HDDs. This is specially true for the stock drive that comes with the ps4.

What i would say is you can put literally ANY kind of sata SSD in the ps4 and it'll be a better solution than ANY HDD or SSHD solution out there. Tipstaff is correct the maximum throughput in terms of RAW data tops out at a technical 283MB/s, but this isn't really relevant, it's the IOPs that can be handled by the controller and CPU, which any modern relatively decent quality SSD can completely saturate easily, no HDD exists that can remotely come close to it.

Some games see as much as a 50 to 70% load time improvement or more. There are some games that would take a minute to load sections on the stock HDD and only reduce it by about 20% with a quality HDD, where as any ssd would drop it to 50 or 70% improvements. It varies game to game.

When i was setup playing some cooperative/multiple games side by side with someone with a PS4 and a highend 2TB HDD that i had installed in their ps4, I was ALWAYS loaded and waiting for them, in some games it was a few seconds, in others it was damn near half a minute or longer.

5. Tr4405

Tr4405 New Member

So the fact that is has no DRAM won’t make it have lower speeds than 100 MB/s? I’ve heard people say that DRAM-less SSDs are “garbage” and that I “shouldn’t waste money on one”

6. Trusteft

As a PS4 drive? As long as you have at least 20% free, it should be fine. Though in general it's better to have one with dram than without.

7. Judas

Generally it is bad but unless you actually give us the EXACT product you're dealing with, we can't honestly say if it's hot garbage or if it'll be just fine.

8. Tr4405

Tr4405 New Member

9. Judas

there is little to no info on it, lots of questionable results...

10. Tr4405

Tr4405 New Member

From what I’ve seen a MacBook Pro with SATA II got 240 MB/s read and write.

11. Judas

I'm not saying it can't do what it says, i'm just often concerned about reliability and sustainability. You often get what you pay for.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  12. Trusteft

13. Tipstaff

I know that Inland brand. They used to sell power bars. LOL!

If I recall that drive uses a Phison S11 controller, and Toshiba TLC 3D NAND. 480GB is something like 70K/60K R/W IOPS respectively.

IvanV likes this.
  14. Tr4405

Tr4405 New Member

Wo
    Would you say that it’s a solid SSD?

15. Tipstaff

That I can't say. I've only ever held one in my hands, and that was a clients purchase.