Would this be considerd Piracy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by MiDri, Jan 26, 2007.

1. MiDri

MiDri New Member

Ok lets say you have a demo, fully functional with a time limit (say 30 days). However; the company neglected to secure it really well and all you have to do is rename a file to reset/remove the timer. Would this be considerd piracy to you guys? It seems like a grey area to me, the demo was obtained legaly -- do I have the right to rename a file on my own computer?...

2. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

I suppose morally you would be circumventing the intent, so yeah, I guess it should be deleted after 30 days - in a perfect world.

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Yes, because the license prohibits changing any files without proper authorization. So, technically, and legally, it's piracy.

4. LHC

LHC Stingy and Stubborn

Yea, it is piracy. It's the "unauthorized use" part

5. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

they think about everything.. :)

6. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

It isnt as if your selling it, merely using it for personal consumption...
    right?

7. Yousaif

Yousaif Allergic to WiFi

Right....

So if you were a hamburger vendor and all I wanted a hamburger for was for my own personal consumption it wouldn't be stealing if I just used the hamburger and didn't pay you for it, right?

8. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Not all fairies are nice.

Piracy - yep.
    Would I do that if it was that simple.... possibly. :rolleyes:
    It's one thing to spend lots of time on protections & security & some skilled hacker breaks it & then shares it for the world. That would mean I have to download a wares version of the program.
    I know there is not legally any difference from changing a date (or file or whatever) in something that I have legally and appropriately downloaded from a valid site and dl'ing a wares version of a program. But, with that said, if a company doesn't want something stolen then (in my warped mind) they have a certain obligation not to make it so easy that I almost can't resist. If I lay a 100 bill on the floor in the middle of the mall & walk away I can't really expect it to still be there when I come back an hour later (or even for it to be with lost & found).

Here is another piracy issue that is gray for my morals.
    Take Norton AV. A few years ago I had one of the iterations that I bought from Best Buy. Came with a free 6 months subscription service. I installed that on my machine. Somewhere like 9 months in I upgrade to a new puter. Installed the software again & low & behold I get another free 6 months.

Well I never said I was all nice. :bleh:

9. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Piracy, no doubt. You are not entitled to use a product just because you (a)figured a way to steal it easily, or(b) don't agree with the terms of it's creator.

10. Neshi

but would be deleting the game after the 30 free days and then re-installing it so you get another 30 days free considered circumventing the protection, therefore being piracy?

removing the timer would be the same as re-installing the thing, without the hassle of really re-installing, wouldnt it..

11. Dyre Straits

Nice try. ;)

It's not 30 days at a time, but 30 days period. :)

12. MiDri

MiDri New Member

Under the DMCA as long as you do it your self (with out programs some else wrote) it is legal as long as you don't sell it. Changing a file of a program that I legally obtained on my own computer does seem to fall into that area of the DMCA... in my mind at least.

My understanding of the DMCA is, if you do not share it with others and you use it for personal use only you have not done anything wrong.

13. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

The DMCA prohibits circumvention of copy-control techniques, the DMCA only added more restrictions AFAIK, it didn't give people any more rights.

14. Neshi

what about the free period you get with norton, like mentioned earlier. With my copy i get a free use for a year, after that year i will need to pay for the next year. But if you do a fresh install of the program, you will get an extra year. that was not intentional i think.
    wouldnt that work the same with demo's?

15. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

I think you may have the wrong info on what the DMCA is. ANY circumvention is illegal, whether for personal use or not, I believe.

16. MiDri

MiDri New Member

There are provisions in the DMCA that allow for reverse engineering and circumvention -- I remember reading about that back when DVD Jon got in trouble.

17. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

If you can find those passages and link to them or post them here, it may help clarify things for all of us.

Thanks

18. Dyre Straits

I wouldn't want to use Norton at all. ;)

19. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

I would say over half of all pirated programs are modified demos that the time limit has been circumvented on. It becomes a moral issue with the person who figures out how easy it is to circumvent it as to whether he or she shares there knowledge or just keeps it for themselves. It is another moral issue as to whether he or she deletes the program or not or keeps pirating it. If you like a program well enough to keep pirating it even if its for personal use then you seem to like it enough to buy it. I found a way to avoid the temptation and only use freeware. There are so many great freeware apps in all program categories that there is really no reason to continue to pirate anything. If you like it, buy it, or if it is not worth the asking price even if you like it, then uninstall it and find a happy medium with some cheaper or free program with the same functionality.

20. Shaga

Shaga Intelligent Life Form

It would be piracy of course and I wouldn't use norton either, even if they would pay me a small sum of money.