Would you ever contemplate buying a mac?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by HardwareHeaven, Apr 15, 2007.

1. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

...there's a little camera in the Macbook too - and the software for that device in OSX is a hoot! It works in Windows now too, but very basically. I still think a 10% price difference is "competitive" though :p :lol: .

But, you can get a Dell for less - that's what they do best.

2. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

I first bought an eMac just before they stopped selling them. I gave that one to my niece.

I now have a 24" iMac with the Intel Core 2 Duo and have upgraded it to 2 gig of RAM.

I am not a fan of FINDER and wish it was more configurable. It is usable, but for file operations, I like to use muCommander. I've tried Xfolders but it is buggy and unpredictable.

I like NeoOffice fairly well, and am looking forward to the update that includes all the features of OpenOffice 2.2, including KERNING being enabled by default.

I prefer using the PC for most things, still, but have found that Parallels for the Mac is EXCELLENT for running Linux virtual machines. I bought a copy of the software from Newegg and really enjoy tinkering around with various distros in that environment. I particularly like OpenSuse Linux 10.2.

OS X is very stable, but I do wish it was more configurable. It is not as complex to configure as Linux, which is a good thing, but I find that the interface lacks some of the configurability that I'm used to on the Windows side.

I prefer not to use the Mac platform for my production rig. There are issues with the Mac file system vs the PC file system, and there are some file format issues (MP3, some graphics formats, etc.) that also cause issues with sharing.

If I had to choose between a Windows based PC and an OS X based PC, I would choose Windows, because it's what I know best and also because there are a ton more apps out there that I can use to help ensure the type of compatibility I want. Windows is not perfect, but it's the "devil I know" as it were.

The transition from PowerPC to Intel based systems has thrown a monkey wrench into things. Some apps just suck when run in emulation mode, and there are many older apps that will never be updated to a Universal Binary or native Intel compiled app.

As much as I like tinkering with the Mac, the hardware is WAY, WAY, WAY too expensive, imo. You don't have a lot of choice like you do on the PC / Linux side. I don't think I would have gotten the 24" iMac if it was not capable of running Windows on that hardware. The BootCamp feature was a big-time selling point for me, because I figured if I get sick and tired of using the thing as a Mac, I could just boot into Windows via BootCamp. Now I've discovered Parallels so use that instead, but have found I don't like running Windows on the Mac hardware and that Linux is much faster and fun to mess with. So, the Mac is my "fun project" computer and I no longer mess with Linux on my PC's at all.

But that's all it is, really. It is not good for games, lacks the key apps I like to use and is frankly too quirky for me to rely on given that most folks I interact with are PC based.

I'm not sure I'd do it again. I think I would have preferred to get a Mac Mini and a standard 1600x1200 LCD like the Viewsonic VP2030b, but the Mini's are just way under-powered and the steel tower models are way too expensive, especially in terms of memory upgrades.

I guess I should have just kept my eMac (1280x960), but I am glad that I have at least 1200 vertical pixels to work with. 1600x1200 is about the minimum res where I feel productive. The iMac is 1920x1200, but those extra 320 pixels don't really seem to do much for me, except maybe give me room for the dock.

3. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

if the mac OS could be used on PC hardware then i would have one.........but no, it would have been nice to use such hardware like core 2s in desktops without paying that big price tag for ........in my opinion overpriced "toy" computers

4. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

The Mac is NOT a "toy" computer. It is as capable of running tail-kicking stuff as the PC is, and then some. It is based on UNIX after all.

BUT - the selection of apps is dismal compared to Windows, and the hardware is WAY overpriced, imo.

It's not a crap computer - it's just not as good of a value as a PC when you start comparing cost per config.

5. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

thats the only thing i find good about it, the stability of the OS, it really is nice but the price for the desktops are a little much to me..........last time i checked anyway, ill see what they have in a few minutes

6. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

With regards to their desktop line, I wouldn't consider purchasing a desktop Mac either - they're charging a lot extra over what the hardware alone is worth, generally speaking, but I don't think you can buy an eight-core (!!!) anywhere else at the moment.

7. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

They do charge way too much for their PC's.

My 24" iMac was $2000. It is not worth $2000 when compared to a PC, but it was the only one with a built in screen with at least 1200 vertical pixels.

Even their Mac Minis are too costly for what you get.

Oddly, their Operating System is a bargain - $129 per copy or $199 for a 5 user license (or $179 - I don't remember exactly)

8. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

played bass in a band in high school, then played lead guitar in another band later.
    I'm all on my lonesome now (which I prefer), just me and my computer, a tascam a casio and my guitars :)
    genre wise, I played all kinds of dull shite with the school band (covers of 40 past midnight and shite like that). personally I like folk type stuff when I pick up my acoustic (love complex fingerpicking), and I'm a huge blues fan also. have been known to thrash out som Smashing Pumpkins or radiohead too (blew up an amp playing a smashing pumpkins cover in front of 2 /300 people once :D )

I used Logic Audio on a Mac for years and was thoroughly impressed with how well it worked and how easy it all was to get set up. like I said before, if I could afford it I'd have one for that (and if I ever get around to making another sig I guess it wouldn't hurt for that either ;) )

9. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

is there some kind of good emulator software to be able to run OSX on windows? vista? lol

dude that price is DEFANITELY too high...... u gotta pay 2000 for a sub-par system.......how lame... if Apple could just make an OS that would run on the hardware we see in stores....thats all i want, stability and power in a customizable setup and not one of those things they got that cant run anything good enough.....

i think they do it like this because of how popular their name is, stick random components into a case and double the MSRP to make more moolah.... it aint right

in the heart of a PC and mac its all the same.....deep down in the hardware its all the same, all their mac pro's are, are server systems with OSX

10. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

I agree. Many people would not buy their hardware if they did not have to, at least not at those prices. It would have been great if I could pick up a $550 Compaq Presario type of desktop, a $450 Viewsonic 20.1" LCD at 1600x1200 and pay $129 for the operating system. I'd have been all over that.

The bummer is that their Mac Mini's are just not that configurable in terms of what options are available so I could not go that route.

The good thing is that the 24" iMac did include the latest Intel Core 2 Duo setup, so it is fast and it does have virtualization stuff built into hardware, so I can run that Parallels software pretty efficiently.

But the cost is one big reason I have 4 PC's and only 1 Mac...

11. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Only reason I'd buy a Mac was if the price:performance was significantly better than a PC.

12. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

13. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Don't think that will ever happen... :)

14. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i really think theyd make more money if they sold the OS for system builders, i mean it seems like only 1 out of 20 people have macs and probably 5-10 of those 20 are builders that might like the OS on their hardware

15. Gardinen

Gardinen New Member

I use Mac/OSX alot in school (SoundDesigner). Mainly use them for studiorecording and editing together with Pro Tools.
    But everytime I have to use the Finder to browse through my files, I look at my laptop PC and thinks that Windows Explorer isn't a bad file browser after all :)

Apart from the cool and sleek design and lack of viruses, I really don't see why I should switch.

16. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

muCommander really does improve browsing around the OS X system. I use PowerDesk Pro 5 in Windows cause I don't like Explorer that much either. I prefer dual-pane file management.

http://www.mucommander.com/

Free, and works good on OS X.

In Finder, I can't seem to get it to maintain column widths even. It drives me nuts. Having to basically re-arrange things every time you open it. Very annoying.

17. HawgsHead

HawgsHead Rest In Peace

I just wanted to see what all of the hub-bubb was about for myself.And hey,if I didnt like the thing I had 2 weeks to take it back for full credit on my credit card.But I like my MacBook.Its simple.It's my workhorse.

18. Gardinen

Gardinen New Member

Hmm I look at my previous post about two months ago, saying that I wouldn't consider getting a Mac. But now I'm actually considering just that.

It's the only laptop I know of where you get both firewire 400 AND 800. And with fullsize 6-pin and 9-pin ports also.

The downsize is of course the price and Finder, but I think I could live with that.

19. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I will be for almost 100% certainly be buying a mac when Leopard is released. Using a Mac @ work for 8 hours a day then come home i find my self being dissapointed with my OS :( Vista was OK for a bit, but apps crash daily on Vista 64-bit.

Its time to buy a mac for day to day tasks, then use a PC only when i want to game/overclock.

and Gardinen, i find Finder much easier to use than Windows Explorer. Not having a C:, etc is soo much hassle free too.

20. Gardinen

Gardinen New Member

Hmm...well I think it's just a matter of getting used to the Finder. We have Macs at my school but ever since I got my Dell laptop I don't use their computers anymore, just my own. So I haven't been using the Finder that much.

But still...I'm also thinking of getting a Mac when Leapord is released.