Would YOU like an ATI X1800XT?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majin GeoDooD

Majin GeoDooD Well-Known Member

One thing that I find interesting:

It seems the oldest physical card is the 18800, and you get to trade it in for an X1800XT. I like how the model numbers are similar ;), wonder if ATI was planning to do this eventually.

2. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I don't think so.. but maybe..
    (but maybe some cards with that chipset are older than others)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  3. wolverine2k3

wolverine2k3 New Member

Found an Old ISA 28800-5 and still looking in the garage

Hi,

I found and old ISA 16bits with 256k DRAM 28800-5 (VGA Wonder Basic)

also got and old 8bits 18703 (VGA Graphic Solution)

Hope this will get old enough...

4. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

None of you entering a VGA card is going to beat this guy!

Edit: Well, if I had an ISA ATI VGA card I'd enter it just in case, but there's no way a PCI or AGP ATI card will win.

5. Majin GeoDooD

Well from the research google was able to give me, the 16800 wasn't ever used on a "standalone card," though the information I found was confusing.

A PDF on ATI's site mentions their first board, the GRAPHICS SOLUTION, was based on the 16800, but it didn't say that it used it.. so who knows. :duh:

6. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I think those people selling ISA cards should have a little faith, unless they really need the money badly. I'm so curious to see who will win this, it's such a great competition, despite eBay and the fact that my 3D Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2X doesn't stand much of a chance. And yes, this sure is a boost that ISA cards market hasn't had in years!

7. qwerty82

qwerty82 New Member

Graphics Solution Plus

What are the chances that my GRAPHICS SOLUTION PLUS card will qualify as the oldest? It uses the ATI CW16800-B chip. ATI P/N 168248 REV 1. Does anyone know if this card has been entered yet?

8. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah I think in 1985 ATI's first (big) customer was Commodore. 7,000 chips a week.. in the last half of 85'.

9. Killamajiger

Killamajiger New Member

Dang it, finally a contest that I may have a chance of wining, with a prize that would kick ass (my "curent" card is 8500), and now because of eBay people can just go and buy 100 EGA Wonders. So i have a moral dilema: Just hope everything works out in the end (with me having a x1800XT, of course ;)), or just go and see what i can find with 20$ (CDN, mind you) and a Internet conection. Well i don't know if i'm asking the right people (your anwsers might be skewed... hmmm wonder why [​IMG][​IMG]) but whatever. And I hope they decide card by the generation, because VGA and EGA wonders seem to have been released at the same time, and not specific chipset.

10. Majin GeoDooD

Very damn good. If it's not the oldest, it'll probably at least tie.

11. Mr.Floppy

Mr.Floppy the puzzled aimless

I have a mach64 lying around and something with i believe 500kb Memory.
    But as for some very old cards have been mentioned here, i think i'm not with the oldest and so my chance of winning is -again- low.
    But hope never dies, so i'm counting me in for a REAL uba-graphic-card here :D

12. tornadog

tornadog New Member

You did it bro, might as well ask ATI to send you the X1800XT right now than wait till December!!!! Also will save a lot of guys some money trying to find these cards of Ebay. For now my congratulations and in case you dont win by some miracle, you would still be close...

13. roertnl

roertnl New Member

i have a graphics solution rev3

CW16800-A

P/N 168228-1

ATI (C) 1985

ghehe[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  14. jaf1211

jaf1211 New Member

Funny, the other day I was gonna set up triplle monitors and pulled my rage II pci out of my closet, it was on my desk as I read this

edit: I just saw my competition, I lost...sadface

15. StuRReaL

StuRReaL New Member

Well I did have a Rage 2 something or other, but thats long since gone like my old S3 Virge.

My current oldest ATi card is a 64mb Radeon8500 (damn thats an awesome card)

16. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Right now it is the oldest - or one of them ;)

17. OuTLaWz Sm

OuTLaWz Sm New Member

Dam it, I almost won the other contest with the FX-57, but the guy who won had the stupidest slogan. I mean come on it doesn't even make SENSE!!!

My oldest card is the 9700Pro and it will stay like that because I can't afford another one, another contest I will fail to win. Well back to Battlefield 2 at 800 x 600 at low settings.

18. trodas

trodas fanless WC Opty 3GHz

This competition is very interesting and actually a great pile of informations and links to complete ATI history was gathered in thread - good reading and pretty worth the ATI price to provide one lucky DH member with top of the line card :D

The only sad thing is, that it has to be a GFX card - since ATI made chips for Commodore back in 1985, I think that the A500 (Amiga 500 or A1000) mobo with the ATI chip could be the easy winner, however I think that mobo does not fit into the definition of the card and therefore can't enter the contest :tears:

So sad, but that's life.

At least it save me the shipping costs, becasue this thing is, well, HUGE. Notably bigger that my 17" monitor, so it is a good question how to made the DH website visible in back of THAT monster :D :lol:

Anyway, thanks for sharing some usefull infos and it might be nice to setup a galery of the competition pictures, don't you think, guys? ;)

(sadly, the old RageII card was gone, brother sold it, hmmm. R9000, R9100 and R9600XT can't seems to be worth entering the compo, tough :( )

19. tornadog

tornadog New Member

thanks Zardon for letting us know!! pointless for me to send my entry now and also to watch this thread, good luck to whoever wins.

20. fatmanp

fatmanp New Member

Before i moved to US 13 years ago i had nice Amiga 500, I'm sure i can still find it if i call my relatives back home, but that might be still going out of my hand (shipping it here and then to ati) I also have some old ATI mach 64 pci with 4mb of something called Vram.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.