X-FI Fatal1ty FPS popping cracking humming etc

Discussion in 'PAX Download - PCI X-Fi Series' started by fallout3, Dec 30, 2013.

1. fallout3

fallout3 New Member

Hi all. I have a Soundblaster X-FI Fatal1ty FPS. I've tried as many drivers as I can remember, yet still I am plagued with popping, crackling, distortion and so on. I can stop it, but only if I turn the output down to 50% or less (making it very quiet) and lower the bass. As soon as I touch the EQ, bass, treble or anything else the cracking begins again, along with the popping and distortion.

Can any one please tell me what causes this? it's happening through both my speakers and my headphones. Also, which particular driver should I be using? is there one that helps my problems?

I'm about ready to give up, which is a real shame as I love the sound of the card.

2. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Is your mother board screw down good? This will cause it sometimes not tighting down good enough. What board you have?

3. fallout3

fallout3 New Member

Hi. I have a Crosshair V Formula Z.

The board has no PCI so I'm running an adapter. However, it's not the adapter because the card did the exact same thing in my older board that died (Asrock 990FX Extreme 3).

4. kotasCZ

kotasCZ New Member

..Have you considered that you may have a faulty sound card?

5. fallout3

fallout3 New Member

I have yes, but I've seen this is a pretty common problem.

6. fallout3

fallout3 New Member

Right after another few hours of messing around..

1. I've finally got the audio panel saving the settings. Obviously it's kinda hard fixing an issue when every time you reboot it comes back because any settings you made to improve things are lost.

2. The humming and general buzzing have stopped now that I disabled the mic. For some reason it's active and turned up to around 70% even if you don't have a mic plugged in. This could be a bug, or, because I have a front IO box.

3. The popping and crackling and general clipping have been completely stopped by installing Winamp, then installing a Wave only output plugin. My music now sounds as it should.

So if this lot doesn't hold and it plays up again I think the card is probably faulty.

7. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Time upgrade to z series or T series ;)