X-Fi Windows 7 Driver Problem

Discussion in 'PAX Drivers' started by fdlchris, Jul 30, 2011.

1. fdlchris

fdlchris New Member

Just a quick update:

I tried :

- the latest Creative beta driver (file : SBXF_PCDRVBETA_US_2_18_0015A.exe)
    - the PAX 5.00 driver (file : PAX PCI XFI ALL OS Driver V5.00.7z)
    - the PAX DVD Suite (file : PAX PCI XFI PAX Audio Suite DVD 2011 V3.00.7z)

I tried this on my (1) Windows Vista Ultimate system, then formatted my HD, and installed a (2) fresh Windows 7 Ultimate, and then restored back to my (3) existing Windows 7 image.

On all configurations, the drivers all installed with no problems, yet there was still no sound.

MP3 and all other audio files play successfully, but no sound can actually be heard. It's like a set of headphones were plugged in or the speaker cables were pulled out.

As mentioned before, the only tell-tale sign is when playing back video files (e.g. AVI). No sound can be heard, and the video playback is REALLY SLOW (1 fps). When the drivers are uninstalled, the video playback is back to normal full speed.

I'm done ...

I can't wait for any more drivers to fix this problem. This card has been the ultimate PAIN IN THE ARSE!!! :annoyed:
    This card is now being sold. Once I've got rid of it, THEN my advice will be DON'T BUY SB0670! :D

I've already purchased another X-Fi XtremeMusic PCI card. One which I had once before (my first X-Fi card) and I know FOR A FACT that it will work without any problems ... the SB0460. The retail X-Fi XtremeMusic.

A word of advice :: If you're looking at an X-FI PCI card, and the model number of it is not on this list, and you don't want to have driver problems, DO NOT BUY and STAY AWAY!

No more F**K**G OEM cards!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. boyriot

boyriot Headbangers

do not buy OEM product..it's a crap :D

3. Legas

Legas New Member

Îòâåò: X-Fi Windows 7 Driver Problem

I recently got problems with installation new PAX drivers and get issue with no sound.
    The solution was manually delete all creative's files from Windows\System32\drivers folder. these files don't get deleted during uninstallation of drivers.

After files are manually removed, you will get a warning regarging missing driver signature during installation of PAX drivers. This is expected behaviour for PAX drivers, and this is the sign that drivers are getting installed at all.
    The strange thing for me was that I didn't get this warning during installation PAX drivers, and as a result had no sound ;) So my solution with manual deletion should help in this case

4. fdlchris

fdlchris New Member

Well on MY current system images, I used Driver Sweeper and it really is a useful tool. It really does remove all associated .dlls and reg entries, so much as to say that after a driver clean and reboot, Windows Vista and 7 both see the X-Fi driver as a "Multimedia Audio Controller", which indicates that the OS doesn't even know what an X-Fi is! ;)

However, as I stated before, I tried installing all the drivers mentioned on a freshly installed Windows 7. This means I installed Windows 7 and IMMEDIATELY after; I installed the audio drivers. Nothing else was installed on the machine, and it still didn't solve the 'no sound' problem.

This has to be a model-specific or OEM model problem.
    This is the reason I'm going back to the ol' original SB0460. :)

5. Legas

Legas New Member

Did you see during installation of PAX a warning regarding missing driver signature?

6. fdlchris

fdlchris New Member

Yes, every time when I use the Driver Sweeper app, and I re-install the drivers, I get the unsigned driver warning and I choose 'Install Anyway'.

But ... as I said ... I tried this on a FRESH CLEAN installation of Windows 7 and still the problem resides, so it's not even a case of having existing drivers installed. This red herring can mislead people into thinking that this is the problem, when it's not. It's the drivers themselves, or that actual specific model of the X-Fi. I believe it to be the latter.

7. Legas

Legas New Member

On clean system I had to install PAX Suite (with older drivers), and then install latest PAX driver over existing ones.

The warning regarding missing driver signature just means that the driver is not confirmed to be safe. It could be a virus, for example ;)
    However Windows usually blocks those drivers even if user has installed them (ignored warning). Some times the following changes to boot record are required to use unsigned drivers:
    bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    Bcdedit -set nointegritychecks ON
    bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

8. fdlchris

fdlchris New Member

Well as I said, I won't be doing any further testing with this model as my SB0460 has arrived and that works straight out of the box. I don't believe any user should go to these lengths to make the card function correctly.

If anyone else wants to pick up testing for the SB0670, feel free! :D

9. fdlchris

fdlchris New Member

So ...
    It turns out my SB0460 didn't work either.
    After trying it on my Windows 7 system, it's doing the same thing that the SB0670 is doing. :mad::annoyed:

However, in a split second, I worked out why.

I decided to reinstall Windows 7 again from a fresh install, but this time, I tried the 32-bit version and ... VOILA! ;) IT WORKS!

So I tried the following of my old operating systems:

Windows XP SP3 (x86) + (file: SBXF_PCDRV_XPVT_LB_2_18_0015.exe) ... WORKS!
    Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 (x86) + (file: SBXF_PCDRV_XPVT_LB_2_18_0015.exe) ... WORKS!
    Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 (x64) + (file: SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0013.exe) ... WORKS!
    Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 (x64) + (file: SBXF_PCDRV_XPVT_LB_2_18_0015.exe) ... doesn't work.
    Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (x86) + (file : SBXF_PCDRVBETA_US_2_18_0015A.exe) ... WORKS!
    Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (x64) + (file : SBXF_PCDRVBETA_US_2_18_0015A.exe) ... doesn't work.

For some reason, I can get neither of my two X-Fi PCI cards to work correctly under Windows 7 64-bit. It's strange because 64-bit Vista works (with driver version only up to 2.18.0013 - no further versions work - they behave in the same way the Win7 64-bit does).

So, there's the problem. Anyone else have problems installing this card on Win7 x64?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  10. ciris

ciris New Member

I know this is old but Ill post as it might be of help to someone. Ive had had my dell oem x-fi sb0460 for a couple of years now on xp 32bit. Had no problems installing any pax drivers and only bump I had was with the thx console not working but I fixed it by manually copying older versions of the thx console files to the apropriate directory.

well I just built a new system using an asrock p67 extreme6 board and moved my sb0460 to my new win7 64bit build. I tried installing the latest drivers v5 from robs site paxyoursoundout.com but it wouldnt work using the installer or trying to force the driver by pathing out the driver location. The drivers installed but no sound. What would show in device manager is pax wdm audio.

I had to use version 4.05 to get the sound working. I ran the setup normally but I guess the old drivers were still present. So I manually chose update driver, pathed out the driver location then chose the older driver version and I once again had sound. Device manager showed the card as creative x-fi too. I love these drivers and card so much that I bought another sb0460 to replace the onboard sound from my old machine.

my os is win7 ultimate 64bit

11. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

You try the lastest driver suite sets? You muss reinstalled whole driver software :)

12. ciris

ciris New Member

Well I started to install the drivers using just the all drivers OS v5 package but it didnt work for me. I dont know why. But I was able to get x-fi pci 4.05 installed no problems. Then I installed the creative suite. I tried to manually update to the drivers in the latest package but it didnt work.

13. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

You try wrong set :) > http://www.hardwareheaven.com/pax-d...uite-v1-20release-redownload.html#post1434977 this one you muss installed.

14. ciris

ciris New Member

Got the new drivers and the drivers are working good. Thanks! The only problem I found is that the Creative Audio Control Panel doesn't load up for me. I've tried manually reinstalling it but I still have issues. I will try to install an older version of it and see how that works out. Thanks for all of your hard work and tip!