X1800 XT problems?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by azrael13302473, Nov 16, 2005.

1. azrael13302473

azrael13302473 New Member

I just built a new system using the DFI RDX200 mobo and a X1800 XT. Im having several issues playing certain games that used to run fine in my old system. First of all, battlefield 2 seems to be crashing to desktop on me, I'm using an AMD64 X2 by the way since I've heard this could be an issue, there seems to be an issue with the textures turning completely black right before this happens as well. Another thing is some gun sounds or rocket sounds that are supposed to be coming from the front speaker sound really far off and almost not there but any other sound coming from the front speaker sounds fine. EXAMPLE: you won't hear the shots fired but you will hear the shots hit things. Finally whenever I close a game, the resolution from the game remains and I can't set the desktop resolution back to normal without restarting the system. Any ideas? Driver problem? Worst?

2. SSXeon

SSXeon ATi Freak!!

What drivers are you using? List full specs too just for sh*ts and giggles. IMHO i dont have the card yet but drivers have been an issue with XT users because ATi really doesnt have a X1xxx specific driver set out yet. If you tell me what drivers you have i can link you to other drivers that should help. Thanx

SSXeon

3. azrael13302473

Im using the latest Catalyst 5.11 with the vid card directly from ATI's website.

As far as full specs, I suppose you mean for the system, in which case is as follows:

AMD64 X2 3800+@stock
    1GB PC3200
    DFI LAN PARTY UT RDX200 Crossfire
    X1800XT 512MB@stock
    Audigy 2 ZS
    2x ATA133 EIDE HD
    MEMOREX DVD+/-RW

Now one thing I failed to mention is that also, the screen flickers a little before Windows gets into the desktop. Im not sure if this is normal but I don't recall ever owning a video card that did this. And while on the subject, when BF2 crashes and I go and try to run it again, it starts....goes into a black screen.......a noise plays from windows (the sound windows makes when a new hardware device is detected)........and then it closes to desktop and nothing loads. It's like it redetects the monitor/video adapter and then crashes to desktop and doesn't load the game anymore until I restart. I have a feeling this has to do with the similar problem of being unable to restore the desktop resolution after playing a game.

4. SSXeon

SSXeon ATi Freak!!

Did you completely reformat the system before you put everything together? Im sorry Im not trying to make you sound like a n00b but trying to get some questions out of the way. Defently a driver error if anything else, im sorry to say but load 5.10s here:
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1216

See if that helps and get back to me :D

SSXeon

5. azrael13302473

Yeah its a totally new system. And im gonna try using those new DHZeropoint ones that driverheaven has based on the 5.11 (although not expecting much) and if not ill try the 5.10a's.

6. SSXeon

SSXeon ATi Freak!!

Ok good luck. Respond back if it doesnt work.

SSXeon

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

If this is a brand new system and put together recently, did you install all the motherboard drivers from the CD and/or the updated ones from the DFI WEBsite? It's very important to check for updated motherboard drivers.

Also, check for a BIOS update for the motherboard. If yours is older than the most recent one posted, see if there are issues that are resolved with a newer BIOS. The reason I bring this up is, it's possible that board doesn't currently have drivers that make full use of the features of your vidcard.

Have you also checked that your memory timings that are set in the BIOS match what you're actually using? Mismatched timings can cause problems. AND, are you using perfectly matched memory sticks....or mixing them up? Really need to stick with the same ones to assure best performance.

These are just a few things suggested.

8. SSXeon

SSXeon ATi Freak!!

Thank Dyre i never thought about that! I never install bios on my motherboard cuz that didnt help my Soltek POS i845G. Thanx again for the input, i wish more peeps would help this guy out, and if i had the card to better him in his journey.

SSXeon

9. azrael13302473

Well I just tried other drivers (omega 5.10a and dhzeropoint 5.11) but no luck, and yes I have the latest drivers for the mobo installed, including bios.

10. SSXeon

SSXeon ATi Freak!!

Son of a b1tch :annoyed: I really wish i can help, ima forward your problem with some ATi driver Folks and see if they can help. Im sorry that you are having alot of problems. Ill try to get some help.

SSXeon

11. azrael13302473

Well I just messed around with it some more and I remember uninstalling the amdcpu driver because I saw somewhere that it could have been the cause of some BF2 crashes along with others and so I reinstalled it and well now its working fine. Desktop resolution is restored after games and such. However I changed another thing dealing with that sound of windows detecting new hardware devices, it was in fact detecting the monitor. I saw that under device manager the monitor would have an exclamation mark (!) next to it and after a while it would refresh and no longer have it. So what I did was uninstall the monitor driver that it autodetected (it said Samsung Syncmaster) and installed a generic Plug and Play Monitor driver. So I think this is probably the resolution of the problem more so than the amdcpu driver. This seems to have fixed that problem of the desktop resolution not returning to normal, however Battlefield 2 still has some issues as far as the audio and textures are concerned, I guess for that all I can do is hope for a better driver from ati.

12. SSXeon

SSXeon ATi Freak!!

Nice atleast some of the problems have been fixed. I have private msged a ATi driver tester so Ill get his input in a day or 2. Ati has been late with some things, but their drivers will improve trust me, just like their X800 series. Update with anymore problems tomarrow, ima pass out. Peace

SSXeon

13. dipstick

dipstick New Member

My card is a little funky with the monitor also. Sometimes it will go black(like the monitor going to sleep) when something 3D is about to start. It seems to have something to do with the card going from 2D to 3D.
    Btw, does your motherboard fail to load after using the bios or booting/rebooting?
    Thanks

14. Beng

Beng New Member

I can remember black textures in BF2 as well (on a X800XT, not X1K), it seemed that disabling Cat AI was the cause. Cat AI on (default) solved it.

15. azrael13302473

Well i totally forgot about that catalyst AI option so I think ill try that when I get home. Oh and to dipstick, yeah thats what im talking about the flickering of the monitor when switching from 2D to 3D, I mean its not a big deal just I dunno, other video cards don't do that and as far as the mobo problems, yes I have those problems but all you can do is basically reset the machine until it boots, alot of people have those problems if you check out www.dfi-street.com. A BiOS update would probably fix that up, otherwise the mobo runs fine.

16. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Yep, I'm sure both problems will be fixed in the near future-hopefully:p
    Thanks for the info though, good to hear its not something on my end. The board is great once in windows though, that is true. I got it running at 305x9 rock solid:)

17. azrael13302473

Nice, what kind of ram you using (brand speed n stuff). I had to send back the ram i ordered cuz i didn't like the timings so ima get some other kind of ram and plan to overclock with it. Basically I have a choice of any of the 2GB kits at www.monarchcomputer.com so if anyone's got any experience with them or suggestions feel free to post. (remember im getting store credit only so it has to be from something offered there.)

18. dipstick

dipstick New Member

I'm using 2x1GB Corsair PC3200Pro@3-3-3-8-1T. I'm running the memory in DDR266 in bios which is about 200MHz at 305htt. If you are in the market the Crucial Balistix memory is the best; my next choice would probably be OCZ. Get something in the line of PC4000+ if you plan to OC

19. SSXeon

SSXeon ATi Freak!!

[azrael13302473]

This is what I got from spyre over @ Rage3d:

Try Turning on CatAI or downloading the non-CCC ver also. Update with anymore problems/fixes you have.

SSXeon

20. azrael13302473

Well that resolution problem is back again and basically I just avoid it by playing at 1600x1200, so in case it fails well...its already at my desktop's resolution size. It seems catalyst AI disabled has worked best, at standard I get those black textures more and advanced seems to be the same. However on disabled I haven't noticed the black textures as much. So far i've been focusing mostly on battlefield 2 seeing as how its where most of the errors occur but also the resolution problem has happened in DOD:S, only that problem not the black textures or sound issues or crash to desktop. I wish I could try the card out on a friend's system, problem is none of my friends have a pci-e mobo. And yes I've tried non CCC versions of drivers and they do the same. A while ago I captured a screenshot of what it looks like when I exit Battlefield 2, this is also the way it looks sometimes during the game when it locks up right before crashing to desktop.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/azrael13666/screen1.jpg

After a few seconds this goes away and the desktop is displayed correctly. Any ideas?