X1900 GT or 7900 GS ?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Matt, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Matt

Matt Techy Bloke Wasting Time

Ok i know this is my 2nd Post about hardware in 2 days. Wish i did one Thread now on what to buy :hmm:

I have been doing my research and these two cards look the best bang for the buck. Just can't make my mind up on which one to get, not to fussed about SLi or CF one card is enough.

Bench Marks are almost the same, but the spec of the x1900gt looks better on paper.

Both can come with [SIZE=-1]HDCP Support which i need really for long term as i just got a 20" Samsung screen with it as well, all ready for Vista.

Sound an heat are also big points i missed out
    Can't really find any information on HDR with the X1900 GT, Does this card come with Full Support if anyone knows?

Its going on a board with Intel 965 Chipset Cross Fire Ready if that adds any things.

Any help would be great
    Cheers
    :D

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
    Sound and heat are also big points i missed out[/SIZE]
    too.
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I don't follow prices, but, wouldn't a x1800xt be faster and cheaper than the 1900GT and the 7900 GS? Thus a better purchase? Bare in mind that I don't know what I am talking about and base the above on no actual facts. I have a slight thing against Nvidia cards though, so I definetely support the idea for the ATI card.

3. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

I'd go with the 1900gt; from what I've read, it's faster than the 7900gs and even the gt in some situations. And it does have full hdr support, at least for this generation. Who knows once vista comes around if that will change.

4. F1N3ST

F1N3ST New Member

Im goin with a 7900GS because i saw multiple reviews of the X1900GT where it was running hot, not overclocked. How does 81*C stock sound? And you can overclock the hell out of the 7900GS compared to the X1900GT, and I have had a better experience with nVidia than ATI. Plus there are situations where the 7900GS eats the X1900GT.

5. Matt

Hehe, this is why i posted this thread. Close one to call, both these cards can be picked up for £130 both 256mb versions.

6. wolfran

wolfran New Member

i was looking at those 2 cards as well. IMO x1900gt is the better choice between the two. However, if you can find x1800xt cheaper, it's even better. Personally though, if your budget permits, you should get x1900xt 256MB version. It shouldn't be much more expensive than the gt but much faster.
    In any case, you wouldn't be disappointed with any of these cards.

7. Sandok

Sandok New Member

7900GS is a 7800GTX in terms of performance... Actually, from the benchmarks I've seen, its ALWAYS on par with a 7900GT for barely anything. Its cheap, runs cool, is quiet (unlike the ATI card), consumes LESS power and all in all, is a bargain.

Sure, you don't have HDR+AA but few games even have that and most nowadays allow HDR + AA via the ingame engine (like HL2). The biggest thing to take into consideration is that ATI forces you to install the .net framework on Windows XP and NV doesn't. If you want least resources used, NV is also nifty in that department.

8. bug77

bug77 New Member

Actually, I'm the same dillema.

7900GS is NOT the same with 7800GTX, more la 7800GT. 7900GS is NOT always on par with 7900GT (it can't be with 4 less pixel pipel and one less vertex pipe). And .Net framework is definitely NOT the biggest thing when buying a video card - it's not worse than installing a JRE to see the applets in a web browser.

I'm currently leaning towards the X1900GT as it can do HDR+AA (idk how much use I'll have for it, but it's a nice gimmick) and as I have read ATI's AF is much better than Nvidia's; and that's something that can really show. Only thing is that I can get any of these for more than I'm willing to spend, X1900GT being more expensive than the 7900GS.
    To make thing even more complicated, I saw a jaw-dropping Gainward 7900GS factory overclocked that should really close the gap on the X1900GT :drool:
    But all things being equal, I'd choose the X1900GT.

Edit: Also, since you're into TV-out stuff, ATI's AVIVO is free, whereas Nvidia's Purevideo will cost an extra 20 bucks or so (stupid Nvidia).

9. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Please, before you say its not like the 7800gtx/7900gt, look at benchmarks. Yes I know it has four less pixel lines and one vertex but the clock speeds have been upped to compete with that. Read up first mate ;)

Well I don't really care abôut .net either but if you look at the general idea of what people think of the ATI Catalyst Control Panel, you might understand why I said that. People hate its slow and clunkiness.

And the quality difference is non existant in the 7 series. Everyone who has played around with the latest graphic cards knows this. Actually, from the latest compariasons I've seen, NV's AA is much smoother than ATI's...

And as for AVIVO and Purevideo, the reason you pay it because it actually works... :lol: ATI has a lot of things going on with their AVIVO from what I've seen. Both are a good choice though, I just care about the noise and power consumption and heat for my PC.

10. Matt

11. wolfran

wolfran New Member

I'm actually not sure why people are complaining about the catalyst control center. It was probably slow in the early development but with later releases it has been rock solid stable for me and I really don't think it's slow.

And Matt, I also think if you have the money you should get the XT (256/512MB version depending on your budget). The XT will be much better if you play at high resolution like 1600*1200 or if you like to turn on AA and AF. Also, if you think that it's too loud get 3rd party gfx card cooling (artic makes a good gfx cooler).

12. Matt

Think i'm going back to ATi, as i have just used the new Nvidia Control, it was shocking the way it works with dual screens. Abit buggy as well i have to say, CC has been worked on alot as Wolfran said.

13. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Talk to Judas :lol: He's just hated the ATI drivers for his tri or dual moniter support... :rofl: Well I'm sure you'have fun! :lol: Enjoy the card!

14. Matt

Sweet all sorted now, got my new rig up and runnning. Cheers all :)