X1900 users - anyone else getting a lot of FSAA edge shimmering?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by jpinard, Feb 22, 2006.

1. jpinard

jpinard New Member

X1900 users - anyone else getting a lot of FSAA edge swimming/shimmering?

<edit> new stuff in second post.

I never noticed this on my X800XT... but I've loaded up 2 new games, Gal Civ 2, and Star Wars Empires at War... and I'm getting a lot of edge shimmering. It used to be (on my X800) enabling FSAA would eliminate any edge shimmer - but now I've got it all the time. In addition when in Star Wars EaW, the FSAA option doens't even seem to work right, so I have to bypass it with CCC's FSAA.

In Gal Civ 2 it's really annoying.... nominal ship movement (bobbing up and down) causes some of the ship's lines to shimmer. I'd seen this in Rome Total War and Silent Hunter 3 as well - but I wasn't concerned about graphic quality at that point since I was testing... but now that I'm trying to "play" I'm noticing these FSAA issues I'd never seen before.

Now, this could be my own fault, as I'm not using .net framework 1.1... but after reading a thread on Rage... I think I'm not the only one seeing this issue. When I'm not so tired I'll try and take a movie of it with fraps.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  2. jpinard

jpinard New Member

OK, here's a compressed file of the issue (10 Meg). I'd like to make it very clear this is not an exclusive Gal Civ 2 issue. Gal Civ 2 just makes it easier to show off the problem.

A picture below shows where you need to watch, to see it easiest (highlighted in red).

I'd like to comment that with my X800 several months ago I didn't notice this. So I don't know if it's an x1900 issue, shader complication issue, a CAT issue, or what. But I do know the only shimmering I got before was in City of Heroes a year ago, and that was not edge shimmer but was texture shimmer - and was a known issue with that game on ATI hardware.

Video file encoded with Divx: http://www.jeffpinard.com/Polygon%20Edge%20shimmer.avi

I should note I see this with both in-game FSAA and with FSAA controlled by CCC.

<edit> rewatching this, it's more like a "swimming" effect vs. an actual shimmer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  3. Beng

Beng New Member

Maybe you weren't aware of "shimmering" untill you've read about it, and then notice it...

The point is, it's hard to "prove" it without comparison material: a X800 with older drivers like Cat 5.8 or 5.9.

To be honest, i have the feeling too that i see more edge aliasing now (on my X1900) on some textures than i remembered in the past with my X800. I think it went "wrong" with Cat 5.9>5.10. But again, hard to "prove" because i don't have the X800 anymore, and with X1K cards you cannot run Cat 5.9. :oops:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  4. Jodiuh

Jodiuh New Member

Nah, he's right. It's there. I've got mad issues with AAA not enablling, UGLY shadows in BF2, and shimmering/warping/blurring/nastifying AA on stairs, edges, and other objects.

In short, IQ sucks. :(

5. Rasta Monsta

Rasta Monsta Just an Average Joe...

Well, 6.2 is really the first x1900 driver revision, I am sure we'll see improvements.

rasta

6. ezin

ezin New Member

did you ever find a fix to this problem? i've got it too i just bought my x1900 xtx and it's really upsetting after blowing this huge wad of cash on it :( i know exactly how you feel it shows up in almost every game i play any ideas?

7. jpinard

jpinard New Member

Hi Ezin. For some reason I've "adjusted" to it... or maybe it's not as bad as before. I'll have to go back to the games that was easiest to see it in and see if it's as pronounced with the latest CAT drivers.

8. ezin

ezin New Member

yeah i've got the latest cat 6.5 drivers clean install and i still get the issue, i'm glad to see at least someone else has exp it as i've been searching the internet for ages and all i found was one article mentioning excess dithring in 3d mark 06 :( however i have recently got a copy of cod2 and run that maxed experincing no problems, but unfourtunately theres not a lot of fencing in that game with thin banding so i can't see the effect, otherwise fsaa seems to work fine...... i'm starting to think this might be a rendering issue driver side but i'm hoping for more comfimation from the wider community/ and or someone has found a fix :) either way i suggest take a look at the new hitman game if you can get a copy in particular "flatline level" check out the fencing to the left at the start as well as counterstrike source, it happens on all railings/trees/fences in that game too.... thx again for the response i'm starting to feel like i'm going crazy :) and i def don't want to rma it if it's just driver side stuff or game side stuff anyways if i find any more info on this particular issues i'll post asap, btw this might sound silly but do you need to request access from a admin to be able to post attachments? for some reason this forum has denied me acsess to that function so i can't post my images up :(

9. ezin

ezin New Member

ok i wish i knew more about computers drivers...etc maybe this will become a learning exp :( anyways i just ran cod 2 to check it there is no crawling or fsaa edge shimmering or anything that i can see in any of the fences/thin railings. i'm experincing nada everything runs perfectly. does this mean that it's just a game issue then? cause i'm begining to think so. anyways i hope this helps and i'm sorry for not knowing much :( anyways any comments/reassurance app, except flaming me of course :) anyawys back to exams..... i've procrastinated enuf for now methinks :D will check back on here later jpinard look forward to any feedback you know of :D