x64 - 3546 - bugs and issues

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Eugene Gavrilov, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

please report any x64-related issues with build 3546 here

if your problem requires discussion or detailed explanation, please start a separate topic and post a link with a brief description here

E.

2. patches11

patches11 New Member

The driver's (or whatever is responsible) built-in resampling to 48000Hz sounds awful. I had to set my music player to resample to 48k internally.

Kernel CPU usage is very high during music playback, 3% to 20%, very random-looking.

The installation deadlocked when I didn't first uninstall the Creative driver I had downloaded.

I can't run the mixer app (says it couldn't initialize the card or something).

[EDIT] I should probably also mention that I'm using the Windows 7 beta (build 7000).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  3. Demonik

Demonik New Member

In the DSP window if mouse is over any effect/plugin, the info that appears is continuosly refreshing and if you have a peak window, for example, opened it freezes during that time (mouse over effect/plugin).

4. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

kX Mixer crashed. I had cleared the DSP and was trying plug ins and tried to load the kxdefault DSP setting, and kX Mixer crashed. I had to uninstall the 3546 driver and re-install it to get the default DSP back without kX Mixer craching on launch.

Below is the error message I got from windows:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: kxmixer.exe
    Application Version: 5.10.0.3546
    Application Timestamp: 49f0f38b
    Fault Module Name: kxfxlib.kxl
    Fault Module Version: 5.10.0.3546
    Fault Module Timestamp: 49f0f37c
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0000000000026d25
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 9947
    Additional Information 2: de0a4abfcc80d7917cd9604af5f2ff82
    Additional Information 3: 29b9
    Additional Information 4: e1ce1f2f7f158ec437e8980be6d16fbb

5. imperia

imperia Active Member

"x64 driver (Vista x64 and Windows XP x64)"

Windows 7 is not supported for now.

Also RC1 is out (7100 build) but I doubt that will change anything for kx to make it work better.

6. cuba

cuba New Member

Great work Eugene!

I was really excited to come across your announcement about the x64 drivers yesterday.

My Audigy 2 ZS works fine (well,. I haven't tried ASIO yet.. as far as playing MP3s & other AV files, all seems well.) under my Windows XP x64 thanks to your drivers.

But, I'm here to report a few bugs/issues:

After the required reboot (after driver installation), kX Mixer didn't load automatically at system startup. So, I went to the C:\Program Files\kX Audio Driver\3546 directory to load it manually. It loaded fine & I was able to play around with the DSP (loading & unloading plugins). Unfortunately, kx Mixer crashes on subsequent reboots/system startups with the following information as reported by the OS:
    Error signature:
    AppName: kxmixer.exe
    AppVer: 5.10.0.3546
    ModName: kxfxlib.kxl
    ModVer: 5.10.0.3546
    Offset: 0000000000026d25
    Here are some info displayed when I "view technical information about the error report":
    Exception Information
    Code: 0xc0000005 Flags: 0x00000000
    Record: 0x0000000000000000 Address: 0x0000000003426d25

System Information
    Windows NT 5.2 Build: 3790
    Processor Features: 00000000 - 00001744
    Sorry I couln't retype all of it. It's really long... Hope that these information will be of help to your debugging.

Thanks again for your efforts! ;)

YOU'RE THE MAN! :)

Attached Files:

7. cuba

cuba New Member

Oh I forgot to mention that, after kx Mixer failed to load automatically on the subsequent reboots, attempting to start it manually will still incur the same error as mentioned above.

So now I'm stuck with using the OS's crappy Master Mixer. :(

8. thomasabarnes

Hi:

Thanks for your work, Eugene.

I can get fairly stable 2ms ASIO performance from 3546 in SONAR 8.3.1.

When I try to use Rapture 1.1 x64 version microhost, which is the StandAlone version of Rapture, The app crashes seconds after I play any sound.

The volume on screen display reflects that the volume is nearly maxed and it doesn't update if I use the volume knob on the External HUB to change the volume, but the volume does adjust correctly when I turn the knob.

I'm using the SB0360.

I restored my PC with Acronis True Image Workstation to a backup I had before installing 3546, so I could check how this driver is working for me.

After installation and reboot, the kX Mixer did not load, I had to go to installation directory and double click on kX Mixer to load it. When I restart windows I get an error that kX Mixer has stoped working. If I try to open kX Mixer I get this error repeatedly. It makes it not possible to work in the DSP.

Here's the problem report:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: kxmixer.exe
    Application Version: 5.10.0.3546
    Application Timestamp: 49f0f38b
    Fault Module Name: kxfxlib.kxl
    Fault Module Version: 5.10.0.3546
    Fault Module Timestamp: 49f0f37c
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0000000000026d25
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 9947
    Additional Information 2: de0a4abfcc80d7917cd9604af5f2ff82
    Additional Information 3: 29b9
    Additional Information 4: e1ce1f2f7f158ec437e8980be6d16fbb

The only way I know to get kX Mixer running again, is to uninstall and reinstall the driver. This is very annoying. Also, if the DSP is cleared and other objects and/or effects are added, and then the DSP is re-initialized, kX Mixer crashes.

There are crackles and pops when using VLC Media player and Windows Media Player 11 to play MP3 files. Sometimes increasing the size of the playback buffer decreases the noise, or at least it appears to.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  9. Daioh

Daioh New Member

Well the driver does seem to be working sort-of. I do have sound, (only after setting the default audio device to 'Master Mixer) but the output does not respond to the surrounder+ at all. I only have sound on 2 of my 5 speakers plus subwoofer...

Furthermore did the Kx Mixer not start automatically.

I'm also missing quite a few options in the kx mixer, like the wave volume and midi volume options.

System Specs:
    AMD X2 5600+
    2GB Ram
    Radeon HD3850
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS (SB0224 10k2)
    Windows Vista Business x64

<edit>
    I rebooted once and now the kx mixer doesn't run anymore.
    crash info is as follows:
    </edit>

<edit2>
    After installing Vista SP1 and then reinstalling the driver, surround suddenly works and no more crashes occur..
    Conclusion: SP1 is needed for this driver to function properly
    </edit2>

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  10. thomasabarnes

I have SP1 and installed 3546 with SP1 already installed, yet kX Mixer still crashes after 1st reboot or even before 1st reboot if I clear the DSP and then try to re-initialize the DSP. And the only thing that stops kX Mixer from crashing every time I try to launch it is an uninstall and re-install of the driver with reboots.

11. EditioN

EditioN New Member

Hey,

I have atm Windows 7 RC x64, i tried this drivers and audio is working fine!

Now, the only problem (i know this pack is not for w7) is that the kxmixer doesn't boot it self and when i go to his folder and run from there it says :

Code:
    Error initializing your Audio Card
    Please Reinstall Drivers
    If you haven't rebooted after setup - please reboot now
    If kX Setup is currently in progress - ignore this message
    I rebooted already and i'm not installing the drivers xD

For the microphone i need the kX Mixer, no luck just on windows :X

Thanks Eugene!! Keep the awesome work :)

Edit: I was able to open kXMixer with Vista compatibility mode, Microphone is now working fine but atm i opened the mixer the audio looks a bit weird

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  12. Moopha

Moopha New Member

Hi all!

I got the same 'machine-gun' like sound artefacts... with 3 Gb of RAM

Windows 7 RC1 64-bit build 7100

13. daniloreis

daniloreis New Member

Thanks E.! I forgot how good my SBLive could sound (was using crappytive hacked drivers)

I found a very strange bug...
    - i've installed kx, and after a reboot (when requested by installer) everything was fine -- except kx mixer not showing.. so.. i run it from kx folder and it worked! but if i reboot once again.. i can hear vista login sound... and kx mixer appears on taskbar, after that.. i have no sound at all! i ran regedit and removed kx mixer from startup...rebooted and sound was working again.. and if i manually run kxmixer again... there's silence once again!
    (installed twice to confirm it)

another bug is
    - mic is working but sounds too low... i guess is something about gain control, i dunno. it sounds really high on my ac97.. so it's not the mic.

Thanks once again, E!!!
    []

14. Temragon

Temragon Member

Alright. I'm running Vista x64/SP1. After install, everything worked just fine out of the box.

I went to make my own DSP and said hey, the components are the same externally, I'll load up my old config (For gaming with voice chat+music and DJing) I had on XP.

I picked the config, and the mixer crashed. Starting it again, I was presented with all the components, a few of the connections, and one or two of the properties windows for the components. Cleared (Command line) and re-init the DSP, and it worked fine again.

Ok. Starting fresh.

Cleared it, set it up a bit differently (After I remembered how), and got it working on the basic level. Saved the config just to make sure I didn't loose it, and went to load the default config to see if it would crash at well - it does. (Saved the defaults just after re-init)

Cleared it with kxctrl.exe -mrc and set it up again, used it for a while. I didn't figure it was worth working the kinks out until it could save/load correctly.

To test it further, I rebooted. Again, unlike others, it loaded kxmixer automatically. (I have UAC off). However, it loaded the DSP oddly: Sound was amplified by a few orders of magnitude until I kxctrl.exe -mrc and then re-init the dsp - and lost what managed to load from my config.

Here's the details from the mixer crashing on loading the defaults (saved manually):
    Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
      Application Name:    kxmixer.exe
      Application Version:    5.10.0.3546
      Application Timestamp:    49f0f38b
      Fault Module Name:    kxfxlib.kxl
      Fault Module Version:    5.10.0.3546
      Fault Module Timestamp:    49f0f37c
      Exception Code:    c0000005
      Exception Offset:    0000000000026d25
      OS Version:    6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID:    1033
      Additional Information 1:    fe4c
      Additional Information 2:    7ff0e2247ca9a4e995343b9788dd9da6
      Additional Information 3:    4a11
      Additional Information 4:    05e8c7475a4237581b934017af1c113c
    Edit: Also, I can't pick Master Mixer as a default output (Or configure speakers through windows). [SB0102 10k1 [e880]]

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  15. woodendaze

woodendaze New Member

The multimediakey-function isn't working. If I turn it on and try to change volume using my keyboard it shows the metre on screen but nothing else happens.

16. Temragon

Temragon Member

On further experimentation, I think the dsp in Vista x64/sp1 is just plain glichy, unless the bundled APS plugins haven't been updated

After I gave up on making my own config, I figured I'd just modify the built in one so I'd have a voice chat ducker... Connecting the timbre out to a APS Compressor+ causes a odd double echo (No outputs from it connected...) and connecting the second output of the surrounder to the first of the compressor almost deafened me with a indescribably loud tone.

Edit: APS plugins actually work. My setup was bad

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  17. -=blAck=-

-=blAck=- New Member

Îòâåò: x64 - 3546 - bugs and issues

Tried 3546 with Windows 7-7068-x64 and Audigy card (SB0090, recognized by driver as SB0092).
    Driver installs OK but if I trying to get some sound after some time i'll get continuous loud pulsing noice (machinegun-like sound). Tone of noice depends of what channels I use for output in player. Or there is silence.
    KXMixer can be runned only in Vista compatibility mode.
    I played some time with DSP and found that root of problem with noice is somewhere in FXBus or before.
    Epilog seems to be working, and all other modules I use in DSP is working too. Tested with signal generator plugin.
    Tried to reinstall 3546 stuff running in Vista compatibility. All the same, maybe worse...
    System has 4Gb of RAM and a quad-core CPU (Xeon X3360) on P35 chipset. Maybe some of this cause incompatibility?
    Old 32bit drivers on WinXP works perfect.

18. woodendaze

woodendaze New Member

I can verify that kxmixer works just fine just after the installation if I manually start it. After rebooting though, I can only use the Vista mixer which prohibits the use of a microphone amongst many other things. If I try running the kxmixer, I don't get any sound anymore even after quitting it and I have to reboot once again and NOT run kxmixer.

Other than that, resorting to the Vista Mixer and choosing Wave Out 2/3 output as default this driver works great with no crashes, bad sound and other quirks as long as kxmixer is not running.

I'm using Vista x64 SP2, 4 GB of RAM and a SB Live Value CT4780 in 2-speaker stereo mode.

19. trex_daemon

trex_daemon Member

Dear Eugene. Thanks for the 64 bit support.
    I'm currently using vista x64 with SB0350 (Audigy 2 zs).

I've installed the drivers, working pretty good for an alpha version, but of course there are some bugs.

Here we go:
    1) WaveOutHQ is not playing back any sound. Even in control panel's test, it says 'Failed to play back test tone'. If i try to use it in any media player (for example media player HC), it doesn't play back any sound, or it cannot even initialize the device.
    The latest version that worked was 3541 's stable version.
    2). There are some problems with some of the plugin's default values. When i load a preset (no matter if it's from a previously saved config or i just add the plugin by myself) some of them have their values out of range (for example, in eq-s , all the values are around 65000 and so.) StereoMix crashes while i double click on it. Chorus and Reverb has also the values fucked up. If i click on a slider the values jump back to the correct ones. But if i save the config that way, when i reload them back, instead of the good saved values, there are messed up again. If i restart the computer, when Kx loads, it just loads back the DSP preset with the same strange values again.
    3) The >3gb x86's bug seems to be solved, because it's working properly. Under x86 i got only static noise.
    4) When i try to reinitialize the DSP, kxmixer crashes as many people has reported.

I am waiting for these to be fixed and i wish you good luck.
    Once again, thank you for this great driver.

20. mushroomboy

mushroomboy New Member

I just installed the new drivers in Windows 7, and it all seems to run perfectly fine. I had to run the mixer in Vista compatability, but otherwise it all seems to run fine. I was pretty excited to see how much better it sounds than the native Creative drivers, for they anger me much. So far the only bugs I've found are in the mixer.

Code:
    Error initializing your Audio Card
    Please Reinstall Drivers
    If you haven't rebooted after setup - please reboot now
    If kX Setup is currently in progress - ignore this message

I was getting that untill I did the compatability mode. I have UAC turned off and ran the installer in Admin mode. Other than that it's a fresh install of Windows 7, just have my Nvidia drivers installed. I hope you all have the same luck as me.

Windows 7 (Build 7100)
    CPU: AMD64 2800+ @2.21GHz
    RAM: 1G
    System: 64-Bit
    Rating: 4.1
    MOBO: EPoX EP-8NPA SLI
    VIDEO: Nvidia 7800GT 512MB
    AUDIO: Soundblaster Live! (Not sure on the version)