X800 Graphical Artifacts/Glitches

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by MrMikeyp, Apr 11, 2006.

1. MrMikeyp

MrMikeyp New Member

Odd problems with Radeon X800GTO

Well i've had this problem playing WOW and Getting up(contents under pressure) where these wierd spikey texture things jutt out from the game. i got a pic to help show ya'll.

i'm running an amd 3200+
    with a Asus A8N-VM CSM mobo with a nvidia chipset
    and the graphics card is a Radeon X800GTO

i've been on ATI's site and gotten the most reicent catalyst drivers and been on omega drivers to make sur ei have the most reicent. I also have hte most updated bios and chip set on the mobo.

So any help?

[​IMG]

2. MrMikeyp

MrMikeyp New Member

c'mon yall

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

have your tied underclocking your memory on the card.. usually graphical corruption like that is due to video card memory getting a bit to hot and making mistakes.

4. MrMikeyp

MrMikeyp New Member

how would i go about underclocking the memory?

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

If you want to underclock using Omega's drivers, use the ATT app that comes with them. In the Hardware/Overclocking area is where you want to go.

However, you might just try adding some cooling to the area of your video card. If heat's the problem, extra or better cooling should do the trick.

6. hasenbraten

hasenbraten New Member

Oblivion - X800 pro Artifacts/Glitches

Hi there,
    I searched quite a few forums but couldnt find anybody with a similar problem.
    Maybe somebody here has some ideas.

Thats how Oblivion looks like on my system with 6.3 catas:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The problem isnt so obvious on the first pic but its hard to capture as there are lots of sprites blinking. (like 5-7 at times)
    What one can see on the second pic also happens quite often. The tearing of the texture changes when i move the camera/mouse and, like on the first pic, it comes from a distant tree.

Actually there is no distortion on anything that is close to my position. It only happens to trees or bushes that are a little further away and thus rendered as sprites or 2d textures or whatever.

Of course ive tried different drivers. Unofficial ones, with cc, with tray tools etc...
    These problems that i have only happen when i use anything later then 5.10. No corruptions/faults on anything that is earlier but sadly a very bad performance.

My systems specs:

club3d x800 pro 12p no OC
    asus k4n neo nforce 4
    amd 64 3200+
    2gig infineon ddr2

Anybody experiencing similar problems or having ideas on how to fix it? Help appreciated, thanks for reading. :)

7. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

the 2nd pic is from high tempsi beleive. ive only had it happen a couple of times in the 2 years or so ive been useing my x800.

8. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I was also going to say 'heat-related'.

If you use the Omegadrivers with ATT, set up to turn on the onscreen display. Monitor your temps. My X800 doesn't get over 65C even during the most demanding parts of the game.

9. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

The second one is overheating memory

10. MrMikeyp

MrMikeyp New Member

i dunno if heat is the problem. because with certain games the spikes occurr when i load the program from the get go.

11. hasenbraten

hasenbraten New Member

The temp is around 70-75Cmax. And if it would be temp-related it should show the same artifacts when i use older drivers shouldnt it? :confused:

12. Ferret_Style

Ferret_Style Bouncing off the Walls

WoW for some reason likes to heat up systems... i can tell you that from experience. I would check that everything is clean on the fans and then use a tool like ATITOOL to verify the temps.

13. JDwoods[TeamATi]

JDwoods[TeamATi] New Member

First of all, open up your case and blow all of that dust out of your video card's cooling solution.

Now, do you always get these errors or is it only after hours of playing?

If you are getting them when you first boot up the game, then it's probably not a heat issue. If you are getting them after hours of play then underclocking would be worth a try.

If you are getting them all the time, then I would think you might have issues with the current version of drivers and would suggest rolling back to see if you still have the problems.

14. Rasta Monsta

Rasta Monsta Just an Average Joe...

Merged with very similar active thread.

15. MrMikeyp

MrMikeyp New Member

yea i definatly have the problems when i first start the game. so im gonna try rolilng back the drivers

16. cswiger

cswiger New Member

The stretching textures are almost definitely an overheating problem. Oblivion in particular is brutal workload, and about 6 hours of play starting from a cold/off system is enough to bring my rig to CTD with a CPU temp around 65C.

But that was using the stock thermal crap that was pre-applied. I've replaced the thermal grease with some new and gotten it back down to the upper 50s, but nothing else I run comes close to what Oblivion does.

Anyone have a 7800GS...? How much power do those use, and how hot do they run? The problem is, those aren't that much faster than the x800 Pro I have now, the AGP models don't have as many pipelines as the PCIe ones do.

17. hasenbraten

hasenbraten New Member

I tried underclocking the memory plus open my case it didnt help. I am pretty sure its not a temp issue as i can run other games with 6.3 catalyst without artifacts. Even if I overclock the memoryspeed massively. (from 450 stock to 550) No problem at all in other games or any kind of artifact-tester.

If I revert back to 5.10 cat everything works fine. (except that I get less fps with those)

The way the Oblivion Engine works also makes me think that its not temp-related.

The trees that surround me are perfect. No glitches there although there are lots of sprites on them.

The problem only occurs with trees that are way off and thus are only rendered as one flat sprite.

18. MrMikeyp

MrMikeyp New Member

i'm the same as him. it just happens with certain games. i'll try and downgrade a driver and see what happens

19. Arklon

Arklon Active Member

This is what I've been getting in a lot of my games recently. If you have ATT load another clock profile at startup (even if it doesn't change the clock speeds at all (like if you just want to change fan speeds)), and then Windows crashes and you have to hard restart, you will get artifacts the next time it boots up. I fixed this by loading up ATT, then restarting again.

Also, don't turn truform on. Either what I experienced was a fluke, or that option really does contribute to vertex artifacts.

20. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

I thought a tearing like that was a tell tale sign of needing to use the v-sync on option, if not available in game force it on in the CCC or ATT for ATI and in watever it is nVidia uses. couldnt hurt to give it a shot.