X800 Pro DVI vs Analog

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by mike83wvu, Jun 6, 2004.

1. mike83wvu

mike83wvu New Member

Not real knowledgeable in this area. I have always used a CRT & just found a display model Samsung Syncmaster LCD 192N that I could not pass up for a little over $400. Now that I have used it for a day or so I am wondering how much of a difference I could tell by getting a LCD that supports DVI for my X800 Pro, this one does not.

The text on this one looks great, gaming I would have to say is better than the Nec FE991 I was using but probably leaves a little to be desired, I just don't know any better at this point.

Any input would be appreciated.

Hopefully I put this in the right forum.

A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 Bios 1007
    Mobile 2500 @ 2410{11.5x209} 1.825 Core 2.8 DDR
    Muskin 3200 Black 2x256mb 11-3-3-2.5
    Raptor 74gb & Maxtor 120gb
    ATI RADEON X800 PRO {6444}
    Antec 480 True
    Thermalright SP-97 Mechatronics Fan 38C/44C
    Thermaltake 2000A Case
    Samsung 16x dvd
    Plextor DVD 708
    XP Pro

2. dipstick

dipstick New Member

DVI makes a very good difference; big time at high resolutions. If your LCD has the option definitely use it.

3. mreman4k

mreman4k New Member

Yes DVI makes a huge difference...looks so much more sharper than analog mode on my LCD.

4. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

DVI is to Analog what CDs are to Cassete Tapes

5. Ignition

Ignition New Member

Well I don't know about huge because it mainly has to do with the monitor. Some LCDs will show it more then others...

6. Goat_Guy

Goat_Guy New Member

Im running my 17" LCD on DVI....on analog, the text was kind of fuzzy. Now, you may loose some colors w\ DVI, but is 24bit to 18bit really a big difference? The clarity and contrast of my monitor w\ DVI is muuchh better than on analog. Brian

7. mike83wvu

mike83wvu New Member

Tell much difference on gaming?

8. sireric

sireric ATI Hardware Guru

In general, using DVI-D will give the best picture on an LCD. Sharpness and details are the main benefits, though color saturation may also benefit. In general, text will be the #1 place where people notice. Pictures of real things will be helped too. Games will be helped the least, possibly in such a way as to be not noticeable.

[Edit] Corrected some spelling.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  9. mike83wvu

mike83wvu New Member

As I keep using this Samsung 192n I am thinking the gaming looks pretty good. Don't notice any ghosting or anything. If you set vertical snyc to off is where I get the only problem. Thanks for the input.

10. dipstick

dipstick New Member

It can help with gaming at very high resolutions;) If I try to play anything(movies or games) at 1600x1200 with analog I get severe(and I mean SEVERE) ghosting; with DVI its competely ghost-free. Maybe too much for analog to handle once at this high res?

11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'm curious... will CRT's start shipping with DVI connections instead now with VGA to DVI converters?

12. sireric

"Digital" monitors (with DVI) already exist. In fact, digital TVs also exist (high end HDTVs with DVI inputs).

Will this become the norm? Well, the cost is still high, so only higher end monitors have DVI inputs. Same as TV. No idea if it will become the norm; but even if it did, it would be years away, given the cost. As well, DVI-D has a BW limit in single TMDS mode, so that limits the top resolutions (I've forgotten the top resolution, but it's something like 165 MHz). You need to switch to dual TMDS modes, which is much more expensive (most video cards don't support this).

13. Judas

aww damn.......... a well... I was just asking because i see some video card without a VGA at all.... even cards with only 2 DVI outs and a s-video out...

Even the all-in-wonders have just the dvi out with other s-video and whatnot.... no vga... i was wondering if maybe the other graphics companies know something us other users don't...

14. sireric

Well, one thing to note, is that DVI outputs has both analog (DVI-A) and digital (DVI-D) interfaces. You can add a connector to extract out the analog and convert the standard VGA connector. So, a card with one or two DVI outputs can still be used to connect to a regular VGA monitor.

15. Judas

using a dvi to vga converter of course.... But what benifits will we see with dvi... being the standard mode available... or the dual mode you mentioned... with CRTs? .... also... i'm seeing more and more Computer Projectors... that have s-video... RCA.... DVI in now... and VGA in is disappearing..... how could i hook this up? could using a Dvi to VGA converter work backwards?

16. nuG

nuG is having a sexy party

I dont believe VGA to DVI would be possible. Its just a guess, but even though DVI has VGA you can seperate, There is no source of DVI from VGA connections