X800 XT PE Overclocking issue

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by ZzzombieBunny, Apr 24, 2006.

1. ZzzombieBunny

ZzzombieBunny Cake or Death?

I recently got my brothers "old" Sapphire X800 XT PE (520/560 stock) since he got hold of a new graphics card (bastard converted to Nvidia...).

Anyway, im having some issues with overclocking this monster of a card. I was under the impression that this card was the King of the last generation and could at least handle a little overclocking without problems.... but I simply cant even overclock either the memory or cpu more than 1mhz without having it lockup or cause serious graphical errors. Not that I dont mind the stock rates of 520/560, but just seems odd. Is there somekinda overclocking lock in the bios or something else im unaware off?

Maybe I need to upgrade my power supply, its just 350w. And yes ive done a completely fresh install of windows and updated all drivers etc.

2. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit DH ***** hobo

What tool are you using to overclock?

3. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

I would check the HSF to see if the fan is spinning and also check to see if it's making proper contact with the GPU and RAM, perhaps you may want to even remove the heatsink, clean up the GPU and put new thermal paste on it

4. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit DH ***** hobo

I wouldnt think 1mhz overclock would make it overheat, i think maybe the tool he's using doesnt recognise the card or something

5. ZzzombieBunny

Using the overclocking tool on Ati Tray Tools, worked fine with my old card (X800 GTO) which i was able to overclock to near the XT PE ratings. Guess I should try another overclocking tool, any recommendations? Preferably something that wont conflict Ati Tray Tool since im using that with Omega Drivers.

6. davyboy

davyboy New Member

Make sure the "Clock generation method" in tray tools is set to low precision....I get the same problems when set to high (IIRC the latest Omegas default setting is high precision).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  7. kingsownall

kingsownall New Member

well like they said. clean out the out thermal paste and apply sum new one. and ur cutting it close with ur psu so i get a new one if i were u

8. ZzzombieBunny

I should prolly replace the vga cooling on it with a Arctic Cooling ATi Silencer, I noticed the temp on the GPU going over 75C during heavy activity...

edit: oh and the Low Precision Divider fixed the overclocking problems I had and im now happily overclocking again :) thanks for the help.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  9. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

75C isn't that bad for load on an X800XT

10. ZzzombieBunny

I cleaned up the fan of dust and managed to get it down to 68C. The problem is that the stock cooling on it doesnt direct the heat out of the chassi. Infact the heat is pretty much being directed towards the motherboard chips. Gonna grab a Ati Silencer and see if that helps.

11. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

I noticed that too. It blew air right into the path of 50CFM of incoming air and then it just got blown back