X800XT Problem

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by kinetic, May 3, 2005.

1. kinetic

kinetic Well-Known Member

Just upgraded to a Powercolor X800XT from a 9800 Pro and I'm having problems on certain games. Far Cry and HL2 run flawlessly but the likes of Rome Total War and Lord Rings Battle for Middle Earth stutter to such an extent that they are unplayable. Both these games ran fine on my 9800 Pro with the same game settings! Any ideas anyone?

System specs are XP3000. 1 gig RAM and OS is XP Pro, all of this is unchanged since my upgrade!:confused:

2. redsolar

redsolar Off duty

Played with fastwrites yet? Though it's puzzling it only happens with certain games. Which driver version are those?

3. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Did you reinstall the drivers? Basic thing I know but some forget...

4. kinetic

Fastwrites are disabled and I was running the latest Cat's! I'm gonna try different drivers later and I'll let you know if it makes a difference!:)

5. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

How's it going with this kinetic?

6. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Hows the 12v rail holding up under load?

7. kinetic

If I knew how to tell I'd let you know lol!;)

The games in question run smoothly for a while and then slow down to a crawl as though theres something going on in the background! Very frustrating!:(

EDIT: Scan have told me I can return the card so I've asked them if I can try another. They said I can exchange for the same card or equivalent so I'm taking it back tomorrow!:) I'll let you know if the problem persists with a different card!:)

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  8. kinetic

Changed the card for a Sapphire X800XT and my problems have disappeared!:hmm:

The guy at Scan said it was the first Powercolor card he'd had returned so I guess I was just unlucky! Anyway hats off to Scan they exchanged the card no questions asked!:cool:

9. Vasot

Vasot Banned

It seems the Powercolor card was faulty

10. kinetic

My apologies to Powercolor as it appears the card was not at fault! I still experience slowdown on RTW and LOTR with the X800XT and yet if I reinstall my 9800 Pro the games run without a hitch! Another game that shows no real improvement is Pacific Fighters! I'm due a mobo/CPU upgrade shortly so maybe that will unleash the potential of the card!:hmm: I hate to say this but so far my experience with the X800XT has been a huge letdown. I know the 9800 Pro is a fine card but I expected great things from my upgrade! So far I've had nothing but disappointment!:sigh:

Update: After a reformat and BIOS update I'm now getting much better performance! I guess the problem with LOTR is game specific as it's still there! I'm much happier now though!:cool:

Last edited: May 15, 2005