X850XT and A8N issues - please help

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Obliter8, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Obliter8

Obliter8 New Member

Hello! Long-time site visitor, first-time poster! :lol:

Anyway, ive just bought a new bunch of upgrade parts, and built my system:

AMD64 3500+ Winchester 939 pin with Thermalright XP-120 HSF
    Asus A8N PCI-E mobo (not deluxe) Bios 1.1001
    1024Mb DDR400 RAM (not dual channel)
    Connect3D Radeon X850XT w/ 5.2 Cats
    SBLive! Audigy Soundcard
    DiamondMax 160Gb 7200RPM 8Mb SATA HDD
    LG DVD Drive
    Antec 480W Neopower ATX 2.0 PSU

Specifically, the mobo, CPU and GFX are new, everything else is up to a year old with no previous problems. Clean install XP SP2 after reformat.

The problem:

The performance is great when I'm in a game but the graphics are causing me no end of problems. Whenever I play a newly installed game for the first time, the screen will just remain black and often hangs the whole system. Either this or the normal picture will appear, but will be split into rows of alternating lines about 3mm high, each line offset against the other. The screen now takes ages to change display modes (i.e. the monitor clicking when it changes form 2D to 3D) and no game works with vsync at all.

All the system drivers are the most up to date I can find, but if anyone can give me a source for nforce4 chipset drivers more recent than those on the Asus webby I'd be grateful.

Please, for my sanity, any ideas?

2. redsolar

redsolar Off duty

Try to uninstall the drivers, and then completely reinstall them. Start with motherboard drivers. For video drivers - also use Driver Cleaner (preferably in safe mode).

3. El Kapitano

El Kapitano Most of the 7 dwarfs in 1

4. Obliter8

Obliter8 New Member

thx for the help, I completely uninstall the video drivers andf reinstall straight after i run a new game for the 1st time - its the only way to make it work. I'll have a crack at the nforce drivers as well, though I am using that version.

Any more suggestions?

5. PeeAir

PeeAir New Member

so thats is a Nvidia chips set mb and a ati graphics card right ?
    if that is the case i have read somewhere that preformance will be hampered by using a nvidia chipset mb with a ati graphics card.
    Sorry cant remember the site address i read this i just did a search cause i was going to get a nvidia chipset board and a his xt850x graphics card and as most people know nvidia and ati are not the best of friends, its not much info its only what i have read on the web .... good luck mate.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  6. ToP3koms

ToP3koms Respect Human Rights

I have been running an ATI x850xt-pe on an Nforce4 chipset mobo for the past few weeks(since this mobo came available) and everything seems to be running upto par to me.I would say you may need to check and make sure you have drivers for your monitor correctly installed,but that would just be where I would start.I'm not familiar with the SLI setup so you may have some issues there,but as far as ATI & Nforce not playing nicely together, I have to disagree,the 2 are working beautifully together for me.Good luck tracking down the problem.

7. Obliter8

Obliter8 New Member

gotcha

Thanks so much for your help guys. I wouldnt be surprised if nvidia or ati didnt put something in there so their parts didnt like each other but it turns out it wasnt that.

I did the obvious - uninstalled and reinstalled the latest nforce and catalyst drivers. This didnt fix it, so after much anger and near-destruction of my PC I completely reformatted. This time I applied the nforce drivers BEFORE installing SP2 rather than the other way round as the 1st time. Inexplicably, it works like an absolute dream, and I am a very happy man!

So if anyone else has the same problem - suggest this!

8. PeeAir

PeeAir New Member

glad it all worked out for u

9. sc3000

sc3000 New Member

Try omega drivers