Xbox 360 versus PlayStation 3 graphics comparison @ GameSpot

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Vikingod, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Source: GameSpot
    It's been more than six months since we published our first Xbox 360 versus PlayStation 3 graphics comparison feature. Games on both systems looked great, but the Xbox 360 games had more polish. We found that the Xbox 360 edged out the PlayStation 3 with higher-resolution textures and better lighting. The result of the first comparison wasn't surprising--the Xbox 360 had been available for a year and developers were already cranking out second-generation games, while the PlayStation 3 had just arrived in retail with its first-generation games. We decided to check on a few games released in recent months to see if the PlayStation 3 has caught up to or overtaken the Xbox 360.

2. EcPercy

EcPercy Well-Known Member

I see a lot of jaggies when I look at the PS3 pictures. Expecially the last one whey they focused on the mech.

In some of the others I noticed that there was less detail; like the shadows on the buildings in the distance and missing textures.

Who knows, maybe by in the next 6 months we may see games looking better on PS3, but that still won't change my opinion. I am not getting one.

3. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

After looking at those screenshots i'm pleased i selected the 360 over the ps3.For me the detail and color is much better.

4. interspaced

interspaced New Member

I have to disagree (in a friendly way of course :) ) the graphics are comparable to the 360. The hdmi connection gives a much sharper, more detailed picture compared to component or VGA in my experiance. Motorstorm is certainly on of the better looking racing games i've played on either format.

Also in regards to those screenshots don't forget how difficult it is to port from one system to the other due to differences in architecture. Oblivion on the PS3 is the only port I can think of that has been done properly. Other ports have been a near disaster. In the end the quality games will come from the exclusives. It's a shame though that these will be fewer in number than previous generations.

Edit: though in your defence the shadows is the weaker point graphically in motorstorm.

5. Sandok

Sandok New Member

This trend will surely continue if the Xbox 360 is the "porter" and the PS3 the "ported" ;) Good news for me :D :lol: And given that the Xbox 360 has about 3 times the exclusivites the PS3 has, tis all good :D

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Is it just me, or all PS3 schreenshots look like, washed out or something?

7. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

IQ quality article with lossy quality Jpegs format from video grabs? everything (bandwidth) considered, they need to be larger and either PNG, BMP or TGA for quality and comparison purposes. as a rough guide, sure, but its a flawed attack on the concept.

I have a PS3, and the selection of games for it is really poor. motorstorm is still the stand out title and it shoudn't be at this stage. The UK/Europe store is also appalling, nothing is out on it and you get an update maybe one every two weeks with some crap video being added.

I created a fake USA account and logged into the USA store and there is a ton happening there, with Ps1 games available for download as well.

Right now the PS3 makes an excellent DVD/bluray player with brilliant video codec quality and an excellent HDMI output with unrivalled IQ, even when compared to a high end £800 toshiba bluray player I have handy. As a games console? im sure it has a ton of potential, but until sony and their partners get their finger out of their ass and release some AAA titles it is a waste of time with gaming.

Oh yeah did I mention how crap the store is ? :(

8. bananaman

bananaman banana muncher

Agree with you 100% Z, I use my PS3 to fold and watch DVDs. Onlt game I have is motorstorm... and I prefer Forza :p

roll on Little Big PLanet and MGS

9. Brutality

Brutality Active Member

Where the hell do you take that money to buy all those gadget and bikes and PC :duh: :duh: . I suspect something :hmm: .

10. HardwareHeaven

Suspect what? im a bank robber? Dude just because you see me reviewing loads of hardware and commenting on things, doesn't mean i buy everything. its part of the job testing and playing with new technology. It sucks but someone has to do it (especially when it is returned!).

(although I do own the bikes;))

11. HardwareHeaven

Did you hear MGS is meant to be released on the 360 as well as GTA4? If these were released only on PS3 they would be console sellers, but if they are released on both? I don't think many people will pay £430 for a game if they need to buy the console as well. :wtf:

12. interspaced

interspaced New Member

MGS is still a PS3 exclusive officially nothing but rumours at the moment. GTA4 is multi platform with the 360 getting exclusive download content.

13. HardwareHeaven

well my source was an industry insider, not a website. granted its still not 100% confirmed however the rumours aren't totally unfounded yet. Microsoft have been spending large wads of cash to ensure Sony don't get exclusives with those huge games. I mean everybody always thought "Playstation" when the words "Grand Theft Auto" were uttered right? I still think this is a huge loss for Sony, the fact that Xbox will be getting it at the same time.

The Playstation needs a killer title to sell more units and become more competitive, we are still waiting on it.

14. thecrmeeegg

thecrmeeegg DriverHeaven PS3 fanboy

im a newcomer and omg this website is like an xbox 360 fanboy convention!
    microsofts branding and monopolising has really sucked you lot in :eek:

15. interspaced

interspaced New Member

I seem to remember that Hideo specifically demanded a Bd-50 disc to use for MGS4 so he could fit mostly sound detail onto the disc. However you are right in stating that if the publisher Konami determines that in the intrests of sales it should go multiplatform then it might. Though i expect in any case mgs4 will at the very least be a timed exclusive.

I'm in favour of consoles having their exclusives. Experiance has shown that these tend to be the very best titles for the platform, taking advantage of their respective capablities. However I do not want to see a continual trend of one major giant buying up majot studios and leaving their compeititor in limbo as it just kills any competition of which buisness relys on.

16. thecrmeeegg

hit the nail on the head...microsoft knows the only way it has a chance of keeping ahead of the PS3 is to buy out any studios that the opposition cant afford. Ruins the games industry as microsoft have the fingers in every game pie

17. HardwareHeaven

We need the PS3 to be a success to give healthy competition, but the only other console out there is the Wii, and its hardly a next gen experience.

I hope Sony sort it out and get things moving.

18. HardwareHeaven

As a newcomer ill let that slide until you get acquainted with our members, rather than jumping to silly conclusions.

The facts are Sony has nothing out yet to pose a challenge to the 360 which has been out a year earlier and already has a huge catalogue apart from bluray movie playback. If companies aren't questioned, nothing will improve. And your analogy of Microsoft being the "big bad" and sony being different is rather niave, don't you think? Both are here to make money..... question is, how will sony make money and appease customers if very little is available to buy !

obviously I could equally accuse you of being a Sony fanboy and quite happy to deal with a poor store and lack of games, but that would hardly be fair would it?

Think before you post.

19. Brutality

Brutality Active Member

:rofl: Yea, I figure sending those things back is a pain but atleast you get to play with those things for free and usually a lot before other people can. I would like to have your job someday :drool: .

20. thecrmeeegg

True you could accuse me of being a sony fanboy, and in some respects you're right as i think that microsoft are not good for gaming. If they sorted out their own developers, didnt charge for live and built a reliable console then i'd back them. But as things stand, they're the newboys in the gaming market, and their using their money to try and force everyone out. Sure its business, but its in the best interests of the gaming community that things stay fairly distributed.
    I know the PS3 has its work cut out (im not sure what you mean about the store being worse than live....the only thing live has is arcade game downloads at an extortionate price) and it needs more game, but lets be honest, the 360 has hardly got an array of killer titles out - gears of war, R6 and forza 2. its hardly an amazing lineup in this day and age.
    I only posted that as ive read a fair few posts on this forum and the ps3 gets an unfair slating whereas the 360 is seen to be gaming perfection, which we all know isnt true.
    I did think before i posted and i stand by it.......just because you've been here longer/own the site or whatever doesnt meant that your opinion is the most valid