XFX Radeon 7970 Black Edition Overclocked @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Jan 9, 2012.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

XFX Radeon 7970 Black Edition Overclocked Review

With the only "launch day" 7970 that features an enhanced cooler and factory overclock in hand we decided to put it up against overclocked GTX 580 3GB and Radeon 6970 cards to see what the performance looked like...

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

How does the card get a value score if the price is unconfirmed?

3. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Because we were in the process of updating the pricing and the score went in first :)

Main point at the moment is shop around. Some places just kicked the price up by £100 over a few hours ago. Crazy stuff and well worth shopping around. OCUK fro example are still listing pre-orders at £420... Scan are selling some with stock at £570+

AMD expect them to settle at £415... we felt more like £450 for a branded card.

4. Stuart_Davidson

Just got an email from Aria who have stock at £439 (VTX3D)

5. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I just had a look at OCUK's pricing and that really made me laugh. OCUK own-brand 7970 is £420, ASUS £560 (oddly enough, more expensive than the XFX OC). Same speed, same RAM. That's insane.

6. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

My god that is a good looking card. About time somebody make a good looking card. Black & Chrome, looks sutnningly. To bad it's way above what I want to pay for a gfx, though I do need a new one as my HD5850 is fubar >_<

7. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I would love to get a couple of these but after tax and shipping it would be $1400USD and there's no way I'd get near that for my 6990+6970. I'm not sure CF 7970BE's would even perform better than Tri-fire 6970's.

8. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Just curious as to which monitors you're using. They aren't listed in the system specs for the test system.

The reason I ask is that I'm using 3x24 inch 16:9 monitors and my Bezel comp'ed resolution is 6048x1080. I notice that's different from the reported resolution for your Eyefinity testing. Do your monitors have much of a bezel?

I guess an added question would be this: Does the resolution variance have much bearing on the overall performance?

9. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Stick to what you got, and be glad that you got it before 7970s came out, for less money, with better driver support. That setup should be monstrous for a while yet.

10. The Captain

The Captain Active Member

It's finally time to upgrade from my old 4890, and I think this one might just be the ticket.

As for price, over here in the US, Newegg is selling it for $600 ($50 more than reference cards), but it's out of stock ATM.

11. Drowningshrimp

Drowningshrimp New Member

The first thing I did this morning was check Newegg and found that every 7970 was sold out. Newegg doesn't bump up the prices, so the only problem is getting your hands on one. I never thought to have preordered one, I guess I'll just wait.

When do you think they will restock?

12. The Captain

Don't know. Maybe a few days? I just use the auto-notify function to receive an email when it gets back in stock.

13. Drowningshrimp

Drowningshrimp New Member

I can't wait to see what the other Sapphire cards have to offer.(1350 MHz I think).

14. The Captain

My guess is that number is achieved using a voltage mod. The 1000 MHz (and even a bit higher) clock of the XFX card should be doable by pretty much any 7970 on stock voltage. If the only reason you want the XFX card is due to the slightly higher factory overclock, you should probably just save your money, buy a regular 7970, and overclock it yourself.

15. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

If the volt-modded Sapphires ship at the same price, though...

Also, the stock cooler probably isn't the best if you care about both noise and overclocking.

16. Stuart_Davidson

Weird, not sure how we missed that off... its 3x the ASUS VG236H. They dont have the smallest bezel in the world but i prefer to stick to standard resolutions for testing to keep things simple. As technology improves and bezels get smaller the gaming resolutions will get closer to these standard resolutions (hopefully) so testing at them now seems reasonable.

17. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

if you pre-order on Aria at price they are now, they'll honour it regardless of what happens to prices between now and stock landing btw ;)

18. Dyre Straits

OK, thanks!

I guess I could do a little testing on my own to see how standard vs. bezel-comped performances differ.... or how much. It was just something that caught my attention.

19. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Bezel compensation from my little bit of testing actually does increase the overall resolution resulting in a minor amount of more work for the cards to do.. because it's still from what i've gathered, DRAWING the "missing" parts... that's the issue with bezel compensation... if you take a screenshot you'll clearly see that the missing parts are filled in.

I personally hate bezel compensation specifically for this reason.... watching video full screen is essentially impossible since quite a bit is missing.

The smaller the bezel width is.. the less bezel compensation would be beneficial.

For example on the new 9000 series samsungs.... the bezel is roughly 1.2cm which is basically 1/3 of an inch.. meaning put 2 screens together and the combined bezel is 2.4cm or 2/3rd of an inch.... which is totally piss bugger all when your dealing with each screen being anything between 40 to 80+ inch lol. These new designs are expected to arrive for the consumers on smaller 24/27/30/ and the potentially discussed/rumorred high resolution 1080p as well as 1440/1600 resolution monitors in the above 30 range.

20. Dyre Straits

@Judas: Yes, it is this that makes me ask about performance variation.

Although, I'm more inclined to use Bezel Comp for my own tastes. The only time it becomes annoying to me is when Subtitles get "hidden" behind the bezels. If there was a way to limit the dialogue to the center screen, I'd be one happy camper. :)

But, it makes all kinds of sense to me that there would be a performance hit when increasing the resolution to compensate for it.