XP freezes up 5 seconds after startup after installing omega drivers

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by omegamuff1n, Aug 9, 2009.

1. omegamuff1n

omegamuff1n New Member

So my bro's old Geforce FX 5200 doesn't cut it for most games, so I remembered my buddy told me about the omega drivers that might help boost my framerates. So I just installed it and after I booted up, windows got past the welcome screen to my desktop and all my startup programs, well startup, but then pretty much exactly five seconds after it gets to my desktop the whole entire system freezes (the time doesn't change and the HDD indicator light doesn't come on at all) and the monitor's pixels constantly flicker, with more flickering and colors around the edges of my desktop icons. I have no idea what to do or how to put it in safe mode, any help? :(

EDIT: I put it in safemode, uninstalled all the current drivers (old and omega) and attempted to reinstall the omega drivers with a fresh start since the old drivers might have been in the way. Well everything went fine unpacking them, but when I started to install them, it went for a minute till the screen went black for a few seconds then came back on and the screen was in 800x600, and the fuzzy colored problem I had before was back. Except it had the installation process frozen right in front of me this time. That means there's something going wrong in the installation process, what happened?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. 3FUN

3FUN New Member

Try going back to safemode and uninstall the drivers and install the normal ones not omega. Now if they work you will be able to see if the problem is the omega drivers or something else.
    p.s. What is the temp of your pc, it could be overheating.

3. omegamuff1n

omegamuff1n New Member

Alright, I did safemode and uninstalled the omega drivers and used the old ones, and they work fine, same as before. So yes, it's the omega drivers...and then I tried DriverCleaner.NET-deleting the nvidia drivers, and installing the omega drivers, and it froze the same way during the installation. So the problem occurs during installation now. I kind of doubt it's overheating because I've tried redoing this at least 5 times and it freezes at about the same point after I click install drivers :x

And I don't know exactly how to check the temp besides with software...

(ps, looking at your system specs, I was jw, how much did your setup cost you to make?)

4. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn New Member

AW: XP freezes up 5 seconds after startup after installing omega drivers

Well, the Omegas are ancient, almost 2 years old already. I'm not surprised at all that you have troubles with them.