XP lockups even after fresh install

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Geminiwave, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

So I have been having this problem for awhile where every time i plug in my iphone and sync the computer would lock up. Full freeze and require me to hold the power button down. This was a recent problem and since iTunes has always been the bane of my existence I figured it was a software problem. It happened other times too but much more infrequently. I was long overdue for a reinstall.

I wiped my computer totally clean. I wanted to start fresh. I installed windows and it seemed fine, but now I'm having a similar problem. Every time i run more than one program it crashes. Like listening to music and running firefox. Or copying files from my external hard drive to my main hard drive while running gametap. Stuff I use to do JUST FINE but now it doesn't work. I tried tweaking the bios, I tried messing with voltages and falling back to failsafes. I just don't know.

I thought it might be the ram but I ran memtest86 literally for days with no problem. I tried using the sticks seperately and i come up with the same crash every time and in exactly the same manner. I can reproduce it really easily now.

I don't get it thought.

What could it be?

Oh right, and I also checked CPU temp but I do not think that is it. It doesn't feel warm at all. That was a problem back in the day when it got clogged with dust but its clean and clear now. No dust, fans run great, the BIOS is reporting 30c after the computer locks up and then restarts. I realize the bios isn't completely accurate but 30c is really nothing to phone home about. 40c isn't even anything that should lock things up.

I have a DFI Infinity nforce4 SLI board.
    Opteron 165 stock
    1gb of pc3200 ram
    geforce 7600GT
    two seagate hard drives 1x160gb and 1x320gb

I got a really high end PSU with 1000w so I doubt thats the problem. Its an OCZ GameXtreme.

Uhg I'm so tired. This is really frustrating. I'm stuck with my mac laptop now which can't play games at all, plus my PC has the huge monitor. :x

2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

also there are times.. where an install of windows just goes "wrong" for no apparently reasons and durring which doesn't give any sign of going "wrong"..... similare symptoms have occured some more wild then others..... if you've exhausted everything, it may be worthwhile just to format and reinstall again. Also try doing some of the stuff you want to do after installing before installing most of the drivers or other software.

4. Geminiwave

you know mkk you might be right on the money there.

Judas, I actually did format it and then install xp and the installation was freaky and messed up. I reformatted again and reinstalled and that time everything seemed to go smoothly. I figured it was just an odd bug or something, but I don't know.

At one point the computer was having trouble posting but typically that was when I had a zune or iphone plugged in (its a very odd thing but I know one other person with the same problem. You plug an mp3 player in and turn the computer on and it only half posts and then hangs)

But sometimes I would turn the pc on and it would just stay black. Not all the time, but sometimes.

I had suspected dirty power was to blame and maybe I was half right. Maybe the caps are bad. I'll go over it with a fine toothed comb today.

Should I check the inside of my PSU? Can I even DO that?

5. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i would guess that some hardware went bad, try running a stress test to see if it fails.

6. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

personally id try and get the hold of a new PSU. those gamexstream PSUs are renowned for failures. Thats why OCZ bought into Pc power and cooling. the Pro range is good thats about it .

Sounds like a nightmare, hope you get it sorted.

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

If it is caps, it's easy to spot visually and yes they do happen in the power supply to. Most people just replace the unit, (mobo, power supply, what ever) unless you are really good at soldering already a Mobo is not the place to learn soldering. And paying someone to change the caps would usually cost more than the unit is worth.

I just did cap replacement on two mobos for myself and they are good as new.... but they are 5 years old so in comparison to newer stuff, pretty "worthless" but they still do what I need so for me it was worth the time and a few bucks in parts. I salvaged an LCD monitor earlier this year that was dead.... it had bad caps also....... so it is a common issue. :rolleyes:

8. Geminiwave

but I got the pro range. I bought their top of the line unit. I seriously doubt it should be failing now....

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

all the ocz psu's i've touched have been quite good.. the only ones that have failed have only done so in one manner..... straight up quit...