[XP] Registry and video card driver problems

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by xeo, Jan 30, 2004.

1. xeo

xeo New Member

Hello,

I'm running Windows XP Pro (w/ SP1) and I've recently tried to upgrade my Nvidia Drivers for my Geforce 4 MX 420, so I used Driver Cleaner and used the Cab Cleaner tool that came with it to remove the drivers that come with SP1. Well I rebooted my machine and now XP will not recognize my video card, I went to Add Hardware in the Control Panel and clicked my video card's name. I received the following message: "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)". I have tried downloading different drivers from Nvidia's website and it still won't recognize the card, I've used a registry cleaning program to delete any traces of the Nvidia driver in the registry, but it did not help. I also tried going to "Last Known Good Configuration" and that did not help either. Windows does not show the card in device manager, either. Anyone know how I can fix this problem?

-xeo

2. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

OUCH!! Sounds like it's time to backup all your important stuff and reformat.

3. edperks

edperks Life is Good

I had something similar happen to me I got around it by installing a different video card, then removing it and then it found the old card once again. Im not saying it will work but what do you have to loose. make sure you make a system restore point before you start.

4. Murdock

Murdock New Member

I had some simulair problem ,have u overclocked your Cpu?, then clock back to the normal cpu speed and install your Vid card reboot overclock again and win will see your card, that was the problem with mine
    machine.

5. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

it's an known nvida issue spikes driver cleaner come with a fix for that lol

take a look ...

[​IMG]