XPsp2wordpad need help!!

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by IamLakota, Dec 9, 2005.

1. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

I have a problem and before I reformat and wipe the ol's computer I thought I would ask here first. Today she tryed to open some word pad files and word pad wont even open.After trying to get into her wordpad documents she noticed a new icon on her desk top looked like a word pad and under it it said dxva_sig.
    When you ckicked on it it it would open a blank looking wordpad page when you went to delete it it would show up in the recycle bin and say 0kb.Even after deleting this and running several spyware/malware programs,and running microtrends housecall online virus app,wordpad documents or for that matter wordpad it self wont open.She then opened one of her e-mail accounts and attached the wordpad docs to an e-mail and mailed them to one of her other e-mail addys and in will open in mail.Can any one here help with this,and does any one know what dxva_sig is??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. daedal

daedal Uber Coffee Drinker

Dxva stands for DirectX Video Acceleration. There was an issue with a version of ATI Catalyst Drivers, as seen below:
    http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=9&t=8449

You can find a workaround solution for your dxva_sig file below, or you can download the appropriate codec as mentioned above:
    http://www.soeberg.net/dev/dxva_sig

Now I don't know what could be causing Wordpad to do that.
    Double-check your shortcut and make sure that it's not pointing to a media file if it's generating that Dxva report/file. Also verify your file associations to make sure that your text/wordpad files aren't pointing to some Media Player application.

3. Yousaif

Yousaif Allergic to WiFi

4. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

check and make sure the actual wordpad.exe is still there ("C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe")

5. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

I checked the ol's C:\programs\windows NT\accesories\wordpad and their are four files there,clicked on "wordpad" and got an send microsoft error.

Error has something to do with MFC.dll next went to start menu right clicked on wordpad,checked the path,.and clicked on find target,it took me to the C:\windos NT accesories wordpad but same result error.The dxva_sig
    has not returned to her desktop yet,if this is a catalist problem then it is with the 5.11's as I just did a driver upgrade from 5.10's. I'll post this about the dxva_sig to catalist driver feed back.I've never had this happen before.
    Thank's for your help. Oh by the way the ol used one email account to attach and send the woed pad doc's to her other email addy and they open from her mail but even copying them back in to XP they wont open.

6. Yousaif

Yousaif Allergic to WiFi

Yes its been documented as a 5.11 issue.

7. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Dont worry I get that DVXA wordpad thing everytime, it opens a new one depending on what folder you open a video file in. As for the word pad problem try rightclicking and open with, if word pad doesnt work try note pad (you'll probably lose the formatting) or download openoffice 2.0 which is a free word type program.

8. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

i had the same problem, its with the video acceleration ill try and find you the thread

9. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  10. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

Pimpsta,thank you for the link and for thank you all for helping out it is greatly appreciated,I've up dated and insatlled the MS hotfix and the dvxa problem is solved as for the wordpad I'm goning to try and remove word pad using the add/remove windows components and then reinsatll itand see if that helps.

11. daedal

daedal Uber Coffee Drinker

Hmm, can you re-install/fix Wordpad with the Windows CD?
    I think it might be present under the Add/Remove Windows Components tab.