xrouting connection info?

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Russ, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I read the docs, and some of the learning guides here and I am not finding much information on the connections used for xrouting nor how they are mixed. I know when you hold the mouse over the pins, that it shows a tooltip that gives a name for that connection, and some of names make them fairly obvious as to what it is used for, but others are not. For example "WaveL" and "SynthR" are obvious, but "sL_sw_In" and "fR_ne_In" are not so obvious. Breaking those (abbreviated names) up, with "sL_sw_In" I am not completely sure what the first "s" stands for, I assume the "L" is Left, what is "sw", (southwest? bottom-left?) and "In" is obviously In, and with "fR_ne_In" I am not sure what the first "f" stands for (front?), and what is "ne" (northeast? top-right?) and again, "In" is abviously In, etc (same with some of the other connections). It seems understanding the connections used here are essential in understanding how to use the effects, etc, and as such I am looking for more info. Can someone point me somewhere where ALL the connections are explained in greater detail (and how the are mixed), etc.

Thanks,
    Russ

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Never mind. I figured most of it out. The "s" is for (duh) surround (rear) channels. :)

3. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

's' means 'south', 'n' - north etc...
    we use 8-point surround, that's why all 8 directions are labelled n,nw,w,sw,s,se,e,ne :)

E.

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply (and for the nice drivers :) ). I meant the first "s" in my above reply (as in sL_sw_In). I figured if the "f" in fL_nw_In was for Front, then it would make sense that the first "s"above would be for the rear channels (or surround). In any case, when I looked deeper into the kX Router, under AC-3 / 3D, it was pretty easy to figure out what the connections were (although I am not quite sure what 3D Top would be... got me wondering when they are going to add top and bottom channels, etc, for true directional sound in all directions :drool: (at least in the movies, as that would be a lot of speakers, lol)).

THanks again,
    Russ